Animal Health - General Forum

Heart Murmur

I brought my cat in for his 1st check up about 5 months ago and I was told that he had a heart murmur. I just brought Rusty in on 2/24 to get nuetered and they said nothing about running more tests on him before the surgery. Rusty was dignosed today 2/28/09 with congested heart failure. Is this because of the anateshia? My vet wont answer the question.
If your cat was diagnosed with a heart murmur as a kitten he had a congenital problem.  Congestive heart failure is also a congenital disease.  Your cat had this problem from birth.

The neutering procedure uses injectable anesthetics which are usually not cardiotoxic (toxic to the heart).  However, any surgery is a stress to the body, and stress could have expiated the development of worsening symptoms, or it could have just been coincidental due to the timing of the surgery.  However, it did not cause the disease.

In other words, your cat had a pre-existing heart condition.  The cardiomyopathy would have developed at any time, in your cat's case it developed soon after the neutering procedure.  In a way this is a lucky find.  Many cat's are not diagnosed with cardiomyopathy until they are brought in to the vet as an emergency for hind leg paralysis from a thromboembolism (clot) that lodges in the hind legs.  The clot is formed in the flaccid heart and travels in the circulation until it becomes lodged in an area in which it is too large to pass, causing a blockage.  Most of these cats with a thromboembolism do not recover.

It is not lucky for your cat to have cardiomyopathy, but it is lucky that it was discovered since your cat can now be placed on heart medications which will hopefully prevent embolis formation.  Heart medication can be very helpful, both in prolonging life and giving a good quality of life.  

It would be best to have your cat evaluated by a veterinary cardiologist for the best treatment protocol.
Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Has your pet ever swallowed your prescription medicine? Vet tech Thomas Dock explores the top 10 meds that harm pets and what you can do to prevent a tragedy from happening.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet