Animal Health - General Forum

Heat stroke and dogs

Our English bulldog died yesterday while she was outside on her runner. She was in the shade, and was in a resting/sleeping position just like she always is in when she takes a nap. She had not been running around much or excercising that day. If she had a heat stroke, would there not be foaming at the mouth, vomit, and a more restless death? I feel horribly guilty, and feel that I should not have let her outside. Normally, I let her out, and she comes to the door and barks when she is ready to come in-she never came back to the door. It is almost like she  laid down, went to sleep and died. She was 6 1/2 yers old, and lately she had been staying in her crate, even when the door was open, which is not normal. She also seemed to be drinking an awful lot of water, even when she was inside in the AC all day long. I loved her very much, and I want to know what happened, eventhough I know I will never know 100%. Thank you for any information that you can give me.
Steph
Dear Steph,  I am so sorry about your loss!

I think it unlikely that the primary cause of your dog's death was heat stroke.  Your dog was exhibiting abnormal symptoms prior to being left outside.  She had increased drinking while she was still indoors in the air conditioning.  Increased drinking can be signs of over heating of course, but it is also caused by diabetes, hyperadrenocorticism, kidney disease, pyometra, toxin ingestion and more.

I am sorry that I cannot be more definitive about her cause of death.  The only way to be truly definitive would be to have your dog necropsied (animal autopsy).
Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Has your pet ever swallowed your prescription medicine? Vet tech Thomas Dock explores the top 10 meds that harm pets and what you can do to prevent a tragedy from happening.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet