Animal Health - General Forum

Medication for Urinary Incontinence in Manx Cat

I do not want to have to put this cat in animal diapers, as this can cause other complications and is a nuisance for both of us. Furthermore, I am a college student and do not have great resources to provide this for him (diapers are expensive!). I never meant to keep him as he was a rescue, but no one has wanted to adopt a special needs cat. I have an appointment with the vet in a few days and I want to talk about options with his urinary problems. I have heard of a drug called Proin that can help cats with urinary incontinence. Are there any other drugs like this? And, would this drug help his situation?
Its been a long time since you posted but I will answer now to at least provide you with one. Urinary incontinence in a cat is uncommon. If it is do to weak involuntary urethral sphincter muscles, phenylpropanolamine may be helpful. There are also surgeries that may be done to increase resting urethral tone to avoid dribbling. Hopefully your doctor has given you options by now. Happy New Year and sorry for tardy reply.

Arnold L. Goldman DVM, MS
MedHelp
Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Has your pet ever swallowed your prescription medicine? Vet tech Thomas Dock explores the top 10 meds that harm pets and what you can do to prevent a tragedy from happening.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet