Animal Health - General Forum

Next step needed?

My neutered male cat started straining to urinate sometime Sunday (wasn't paying a lot of attention).  Monday he was worse; cranky but still eating and drinking, extra cuddly but would spaz quickly, and only getting drops of urine out but trying to pee every 5-10 minutes.  Overnight I believe he got about 40% of a normal pee but I have two cats so don't know for sure.

Tuesday he went to the vet at 2pm, same symptoms up until that time.  Took urine sample which was a lot larger (3ml) and kept giving lots of wet food and water.  Got an antibiotic shot that lasts 14 days in case of bladder infection.  

Today he is about 80% back to normal, but sleeping twice the length he normally would.  The urine came back negative for everything.  He is urinating about 75% of normal volume but isn't in and out of the litter box like he had been.  

My vet wants to do a blood test to rule out kidney stones.  Since he is almost back to normal in behaviour, is it really necessary?  Could it have been a mild bladder infection that his system had cleared out?  I would rather not put him (or the clinic staff) through a blood test because he can be a little spit fire with needles and never had a blood test so I'm not sure how he will react.  

I also remembered .... I used antibacterial soap to clean the litter box before getting the urine sample because it was an old box that sat with z bag of potting soil in it and I didn't want any contamination from mold or bacterial spores.  I'm wondering now if that affected the stain and checking for bacteria.  I'm not sure how the stain is done if it checks for living cells or dead and living cells.  

Would it be ok to watch my kitty and see if the straining relapses or could it be something serious that I still should have the blood test taken?   (they want to do a wellness blood test so I'm not sure exactly what it covers).
Dear Tammy2009,

The symptoms of feline lower urinary tract disease (FLUTD): frequency, straining, blood in urine  occur in male and female cats, and are usually unassociated with "infection" but rather inflammation. Culture of the urine of these cats rarely reveals bacteria, therefore there is no infection. The terminology is important to understand that while an antibiotic may have been given to prevent infection as a secondary result of inflammation it is not a primary treatment for inflammation. There are veterinarians who routinely use antibiotics in these cases, however, I no longer do.

To answer your question, FLUTD once it occurs is a chronic condition, managed not cured. Any diagnostic tests your doctor wants to do now are selected to help choose effective long term management, perhaps saving your cat future episodes and saving you money in the long run. Its what your doctor and you dont know that makes the future problem.

Also nothing you did with soaps or litter boxes has anything to do with the disease diagnostically or therapeutically. Its a disease of inflammation of the lower urianry tract, sometimes associated with crystalline material or other debris that in male cats at least can also cause obstruction.

I suggest you let your doctor pursue whatever avenues he/she feels necessary for best long term management.

Sincerely,

Arnold L. Goldman DVM, MS
MedHelp
Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Has your pet ever swallowed your prescription medicine? Vet tech Thomas Dock explores the top 10 meds that harm pets and what you can do to prevent a tragedy from happening.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet