Animal Health - General Forum

Pancreatitis Treatment in Dogs

I had a 13+ year old dog that developed pancreatitis 4 years ago.  After nearly a month of intensive treatment - starvation, central line for meds, blood work, fluids, TPN, etc, we had to make the decision to euthanize.  There was simply nothing else to be done as his pancreas was so enlarged that it put intense pressure on the gallbladder and biliary tree and blocked bile and enzyme flow.  

At the time, I asked if ERCP could be performed and duct stents placed the same way as it is done in humans.  Apparently nothing of the sort had even been under study 4 years ago, and I'm just curious to know if any studies are under way now?  Is there anything new for pancreatitis treatment in dogs?

PS:  My own Public Service Announcement to anyone else reading this post - giving your dog "people food" and a diet with too much fat just might result in pancreatitis and kill your dog.  I thought I was being generous allowing my dog to have a couple of half-gnawed pork ribs.  Yeah, "generous" - I killed my dog.  <stepping off soap box!>
Dear Jaybay, I am sorry to hear of your loss.

First let me say that I am obviously not a human gastroenterologist so my knowledge of ERCP and stents is very limited, however I do believe that ERCP and Stent placement is not commonly performed in dogs even today except on an experimental basis.  It sounds as if your dog had such a serious pancreatitis that she may not have survived ERCP and stent placement even if it could have been performed since it requires anesthesia.  

I believe that, "(ERCP) Endoscopic retrograde cholangio-pancreatography" is a combination of procedures (endoscopy and fluoroscopy), which are used to investigate bile and pancreatic ducts and their surrounding tissues for abnormalities and for patency (open-ness), size, and function etc. Stents are placed in these vessels during the ERCP procedure.  

The procedure is performed in humans.  Stents are flexible, non-toxic tubes that are placed in vessels to help them hold their shape so that the vessel does not close, collapse, or telescope, etc.    Endoscopy is a procedure in which a long camera tube is inserted into the abdomen through an incision or down the esophagus and fluoroscopy is when dye is injected into vessels to better illuminate said vessels for a moving X-Ray diagnosis. The ERCP procedure is used for radiographic imaging of the biliary and pancreatic ducts to help in diagnosis of pancreas and gall bladder abnormalities, and to place stents.  

Lastly, You are correct in that high amounts of fat are dangerous to all dogs, but even more dangerous in females and obese dogs.
so serious?www.inszone1.com
Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Has your pet ever swallowed your prescription medicine? Vet tech Thomas Dock explores the top 10 meds that harm pets and what you can do to prevent a tragedy from happening.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet