Animal Health - General Forum

Slipped Disc/Pancreatitis

I had a healthy dog until he went under for dental cleaning and tooth extractions.  The tooth extractions went well, but two days later he developed pancreatitis.  We got it under control with medication and low fat canned food.  However, when we stopped the meds we noticed he wasn't turning his neck and his neck started throbbing.  We took him in again to the vet.  The vet x-rayed his neck and said he has a slipped disk.  Question:  Does anyone believe that the dental tooth extractions could have caused the slipped disk in his neck?  They said that he must of had a degenerative disc in the first place.  However, we have never had problems before.  Because the vet gave us muscle relaxants and rimadahl to give for pain management, his pancreatitis flared up again.  Now he is in the hospital on intravenous fluids and pain med injections.  I just want to know anyone's thoughts on this?  I really believe if he didn't have problems with his neck, the pancreatitis would have been controllable.  But b/c of his "slipped disk" in his neck steroids is usually the treatment, but he can't have steroids b/c of the pancreatitis.  I am very worried and I am starting to doubt my vet.
Any dog can be susceptible to back problems.  Some breeds are more susceptible to disk problems because of their conformations (i.e.: dachshunds), but it can really happen to any dog.  Your dog may have had a rough recovery while waking up from the dentistry and exacerbated a pre-existing arthritic disk in his neck, especially if he is a bit older, in middle age, or a senior citizen.   You can have your vet submit your dog's back X-Rays to a radiologist for analysis.  Every state has board eligible or certified veterinary radiologists that perform this service at a nominal fee.  Your vet can then give you a copy of the radiologist's report.  This may set your mind at ease about your vet.  

Dogs who are susceptible to pancreatitis should be on life long probiotics, Tagamet or Zantac and other GI protectants.  
Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Has your pet ever swallowed your prescription medicine? Vet tech Thomas Dock explores the top 10 meds that harm pets and what you can do to prevent a tragedy from happening.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet