Animal Health - General Forum

Sneezing and ear shaking after 5 day board

Hi! I recently boarded my King Charles Spaniel and my Golden Retriever for 5 days. I picked them up and noticed that both of them were shaking their ears and sneezing or trying to clear their noses by snorting. They were fine when I dropped them off. Could this be some sort of kennel illness? The King Charles has no appetite, the Golden is eating normally.
Thanks!

Sinus and upper respiratory tract infections, including kennel cough (tracheobronchitis) are very contagious, and can be easily transmitted by aerosol in any environment where dogs can congregate in groups, such as kennels, puppy day camps, dog parks, in multiple dog walking situations, and during hospitalization, etc.  Dogs even have their own "common cold", which is viral.  But a secondary bacterial infection can also be implicated.  

It would be best to have them both examined by your vet, especially since your King Charles is not eating.  Shaking their ears could simply be a bacterial or yeast infection (otitis externa), which may be related to the upper respiratory infection, via a sinus infection, or it could be coincidental, if both your dogs are prone to allergies.

Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Has your pet ever swallowed your prescription medicine? Vet tech Thomas Dock explores the top 10 meds that harm pets and what you can do to prevent a tragedy from happening.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.