Aa
A
A
A
Close
Animal Health - General Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.

Vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, lethargy?

Here is what is going on: My dog, Gunner, (1 year old, 1/2 german shepherd and 1/2 pit bull) has been acting very lethargic and hasn't been eating ANY of his dog food since Saturday(10/23). He ate a few treats and pieces of chicken here and there, but not a whole meal or anything. He also hasn't been drinking much water. He will only go to his water bowl about once a day, so I've been trying to give him ice cubes which works about half the time. He hasn't done much but sleep, although we did give him a tennis ball to play with, and he destroyed it within minutes as he usually does. But he is acting depressed, and lethargic for the most part. Yesterday morning he started vomiting. He threw up about 3 or 4 times total yesterday, and once this morning. He also had diarrhea this morning. There was no blood in the vomit or the diarrhea though. We visited a vet this morning and they said he didn't look that bad to him, he must have gotten into something or it could be worms, but she said she really didn't think he had parvo. What should I do? I can't afford another vet visit. If it's just a stomach ache/virus, how long before it clears out of his system?
1 Responses
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Check the pet food and dog treats you are feeding to be sure none of them are on the FDA's pet food recall list.

I would immediately stop feeding all of this, try a home made bland diet and if this hasn't resolved in a day or two, blood tests and x-rays would be helpful as well as fluids for hydration.

If your dog is currently vaccinated, I doubt Parvo is the problem. Worms are easily diagnosed with a fecal exam performed by your vet.
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Has your pet ever swallowed your prescription medicine? Vet tech Thomas Dock explores the top 10 meds that harm pets and what you can do to prevent a tragedy from happening.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child