Animal Health - General Forum

Vomitting-doesn't keep food down

My dog is 13 years old and was diagnosed with Cushings Disease a few years ago.  We do not have the money to maintain the medicine.  He is now blind and deaf.  For the last week and a half, he has not been able to keep down food.  He won't even eat milk bones and could keep down a little bit a boiled rice I made for him.  I don't have enough money to spend to have multiple tests run to find it's just his time yet I want to make sure there isn't probably a simple fix before I put him down.  He doesn't do anything but lay down all day and night but he doesn't appear to be in pain.  How can I now it's his time or not?
I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Unfortunately there is unlikely to be a simple fix for a 13 year old dog that has Cushings and now is not eating, vomits and lies around. Potential causes for the vomiting and weakness include complications from untreated Cushing's disease such as renal failure, kidney infection, pancreatitis, and diabetic ketoacidosis. Some of these diseases are more treatable than others, but the key to treatment would be early diagnosis with bloodwork/urinalysis and aggressive treatment with intravenous fluids for dehydration and treatment of the underlying issue. If further workup and treatment are not an option, then humane euthanasia would be preferable to letting him due from dehydration and starvation. The average duration of survival of dogs with Cushings disease is about 2-3 years post diagnosis, so it is likely "his time".
Kimberly Coyner, DVM DACVD
Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Has your pet ever swallowed your prescription medicine? Vet tech Thomas Dock explores the top 10 meds that harm pets and what you can do to prevent a tragedy from happening.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet