Animal Health - General Forum

ear infection

My dog has been licking his foot and then rubbing it in his ear. Sometimes, he just scratches the inside of his ear with his foot. It has no crusting, discharge, or smell. I have been cleaning his ears with an antibacterial, antifungal solution for dogs. Is there anything else I can do? Thanks
There may be infection or a foreign object such as a small piece of grass or ball of wax deeper in the ear canal. Sometimes dogs with food or pollen/dust allergies have itchy, pink ears as well. The ear cleaner was a good start, but since his symptoms have persisted despite the ear cleaner, I recommend taking him into your veterinarian for otoscopic examination and treatment.
Good luck,
Kimberly Coyner, DVM DACVD
www.dermvetvegas.com
Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Has your pet ever swallowed your prescription medicine? Vet tech Thomas Dock explores the top 10 meds that harm pets and what you can do to prevent a tragedy from happening.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.