Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
1352892 tn?1338217905

is it mange or what?

About a week ago i adopted a dog from craigslist when i got him home i noticed his hair is thinning behind his ears,stomach and legs he also has quit a few tiny bald spots on back and on one of his leg im not sure if its scares from fighting (he dose have a few on nose and neck) or if its mange but the ones on his leg do have puss in them. hes a little under weight bit not bony just his stomach isn't filled out he dose have muscles on legs. He also dosen't have much of an appetite he is always thirsty though just lazy about eating. He is very active though well behaved and good with my other dog though a little dominant of the dog twice his size lol but im concerned about his fur is it mange or just he poor nutrition? also the people i adopted him from believe he agergic to grass they say when they had him out side his feet got swollen and irritated   ? he dose not have flees  and now that i have him hes indoors for the most part
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
931674 tn?1283481696
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Patchy areas of hairloss and pustules indicate a skin infection. The infection can be due to bacteria, demodex (Mange), or ringworm (fungal skin infection). Pit bulls are prone to allergies to grass, pollen, and even foods, and they commonly develop bacterial skin infections secondary to the underlying allergy. I recommend taking your new dog to your veterinarian for a thorough physical exam, vaccinations, fecal exam for parasites and blood test for heartworms, and getting him on a monthly heartworm preventative. At the same time, the veterinarian will be able to perform skin scrapings for microscopic analysis to identify the type of skin infection present in your dog, and then prescribe appropriate medication to treat the infection.
Helpful - 2
1352892 tn?1338217905
also the spot of thinning hair do not look red or swollen just like his hairs falling out i looked up pics of mange and they all look red and nasty he dosn't look this way
Helpful - 0
1352892 tn?1338217905
also hes fixed not sure if that helps
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Animal Health - General Forum

Popular Resources
Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Has your pet ever swallowed your prescription medicine? Vet tech Thomas Dock explores the top 10 meds that harm pets and what you can do to prevent a tragedy from happening.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.