Animal Health - General Forum

licking hair off

My cat is licking the hair off the back side of both front legs and now he is staring on one back leg and up the side of his butt.
He is strickly and outdoor cat I have several other cats and no other cat is showing signs of this behavior.
Is there an inexpensive soulution that I could try to help him.
Your description of his behavior and symptoms makes me think of a severe flea infestation and allergy.   Have you tried picking up some Advantage or Frontline from your veterinarian and applying it?

Since he is an outdoor cat, you will likely need to apply the flea medications all year round to help control the flea population and keep him from becoming itchy again.

Other parasites, like Cheyletiella mites, are also a possibility.
Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Has your pet ever swallowed your prescription medicine? Vet tech Thomas Dock explores the top 10 meds that harm pets and what you can do to prevent a tragedy from happening.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet