Aa
A
A
A
Close
Animal Health - General Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
847012 tn?1238704239

vomiting dog

My daschund seems very healthy. He licks a lot on everything, carpet, upholstery, people. he will eat anything off the floor inside or out. the vet says that hes perfectly healthy and updated on all shots. He has been waking up in the middle of the night vomiting on my bed. Only like once a month or so. Now i recognize the sound, wake up and hold his head over the trash. It's so gross and is now affecting my sleep. What going on with him?
1 Responses
234713 tn?1283530259
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Your dachshund is now a senior citizen.  

It would be a good idea if your vet performed a senior blood profile that includes a thyroid test, and urinalysis, if it has not been done recently. A tick profile analysis would also be warranted, as would abdominal X-Rays.

Anemia can cause Pica, which is the licking (and eating) of non-food items, and,  anemia can be caused by tick diseases, tumors, and other infectious and non-infectious causes.

I recently had a patient whose only symptoms were licking bricks, and a cast iron stove, and vomiting occasionally.  She was anemic and I discovered a splenic tumor when I performed X-Rays.  She did very well after surgery and it turned out to be a benign tumor.
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Has your pet ever swallowed your prescription medicine? Vet tech Thomas Dock explores the top 10 meds that harm pets and what you can do to prevent a tragedy from happening.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.