Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
Avatar universal

Rimadyl overdose

My dog was neutered 4-17-12. He came home on Rimadyl 50 mg q twice/day. He ate all the rimadyl at once in my absence. I took him to the hospital within 2 hours of overdose. The vet started IV fluids and administered apomorphine at 6 PM. At 9 PM he spiked a fever 107• and started started seizing, Can this be from the medications?
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
2054217 tn?1330538434
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Unfortunately it is possible. Rimadyl is within the class of drugs called Non Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs) and are very safe but like taking an over-dose of even an over the counter drug, too much becomes very hard on the liver. There are other reasons of course for these symptoms however and with some diagnostics your veterinarian should be able to determine the true cause.
Helpful - 0
Avatar universal
Thank you for your response. My dog was sensitive to the activated charcoal which elevated his sodium and caused him to seize. He has stabilized and it appears he will be fine....
Helpful - 0
462827 tn?1333168952
Wow, that's odd........I'm delighted to hear this update.......So glad that he will be fine!  Karla
Helpful - 0
Avatar universal
Thanks! Yeah, it struck me a bit odd that they administered the activated charcoal nearly 7 hours after he ingested the Rimadyl. Unfortunately, he had already vomited copious amounts from the apomorphine - so maybe his electrolytes were off balance anyway. They did wake him yesterday morning and it appears there is no brain damage from the nearly 30 minutes of seizing and the high fever....One has to wonder the wisdom of making a toxic drug in treat form. I understand that it is much easier to medicate a dog when he enjoys the taste - but whatever happened to holding his mouth closed and massaging the throat? Oh, well - all is fine!!!
Helpful - 0
2054217 tn?1330538434
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
woohoo!
Likely the activated charcoal has little benefit 7 hours later but it is such a safe substance that we give it anyways. I am doubtful it caused the electrolyte imbalance. The vomiting is likely the cause. Pfizer makes Rimadyl and evn though this was a toxicity due to an accidental overdose I would request your vet speak with the company. They ask tat we keep them informed so they can monitor issues like this.
Helpful - 0
Avatar universal
Thanks for the advice! I will definitely make the request. Do you think the benefits of having the drug tasty for the dogs outweighs the risk of them thinking it is a treat and consuming copious amounts? I don't even know if it's an option - but will definitely ask for non-treat-like meds in the future....
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Animal Health - General Forum

Popular Resources
Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Has your pet ever swallowed your prescription medicine? Vet tech Thomas Dock explores the top 10 meds that harm pets and what you can do to prevent a tragedy from happening.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.