Anorexia, Bulimia & Binge Eating Forum

not sure how to ask this

can someone who's overweight/obese be Anorexic? Since I was a teenager i have made myself throw up after meals. I can go a couple days without eating. My body doesn't tell me i'm hungry anymore so I tend to forget to even eat sometimes. I don't over eat i'm more of a porportion freak. when i do eat though I don't eat the healthiest. I'm not loosing any weight but I'm staying around the same weight.. I don't even know if i have an eating disorder. .I just know my behavior ***** to be honest. i'm working to change it. My pychiatrist told me if i didn't change my behavior and stop purging it would kill me so i'm seeking out some help.. If yall have any answers let me know.
Dear Not sure how to ask,

You might be asking if an overweight/obese person can be bulimic.  Bingeing and purging is a symptom of bulimia.  To this question, the answer is yes.  

In any event, your psychiatrist is absolutely right, purging can kill you.  To cease purging, therapy may not be enough.  You may need a treatment program:  intensive outpatient or partial hospitalization program, residential treatment center or inpatient program.  Ask your psychiatrist what you may need.    

For more information and treatment options on anorexia, bulimia and binge eating disorder, you could visit the bella vita website.

With Joy,

Dr Patricia Pitts
The Bella Vita
Los Angeles, CA
I don't binge.. I tend to starve myself.. and when I do eat I eat small porportions.. but I make myself throw up. That's why I asked if someone who was overweight could be anorexic? Or is Bulimia just limited to the fat population and Anorexic to the skin/thin population.. I don't think you understood my question.
Dear Alleyie,

Let me try again.  So you are saying that you are overweight.  Yet you eat very little and purge and cannot lose weight?  If overweight, you are not anorexic.  You could be displaying anorexic behaviors.

To be anorexic, you need to be underweight.  One of the criteria for anorexia is at least 85% of one’s natural weight.  An anorexic can purge and if purges usually purge a small portion or a subjective binge (i.e., a piece of bread with 1 teaspoon of peanut butter).

Bulimics can be underweight, normal weight, slightly overweight, moderately overweight or obese.  They eat large quantities of food in an out of control fashion in a short period of time.  They put a lot of their self-esteem on their body image.  They have a history of at least 3 months of binge purging behavior.  

I hope this helps answer your question.

For more criterions on anorexia and bulimia, visit the bella vita website.

With Joy,

Dr Patricia Pitts
The Bella Vita
Los Angeles, CA
you are not anorexic if you are overweight....you need treatment for bulimia
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.