Aa
A
A
A
Close
Anxiety Community
23k Members

About Lexapro!!

My Doctor just gave me Lexapro but im to afraid to take it because i have really bad expriment on some medication before so can someone please tell me about it.Does it make you gain weigh or think you want to kill yourself. thank you
3 Responses
Hi Cookie,

I was also given Lexapro back in November.  I was afraid to take it but glad I did.  It has helped me with Anxiety.  I'm not sure of the weight gain as I have not gained any weight and I did not have any thoughts of killing myself.  Actually quite the opposite.  The only think I am dealing is vivid dreams at night.  My doctor is looking into possibly changing my dosage.  He thinks it may be a bit to much for me.

Good Luck!  
547573 tn?1234659310
Lexapro is an antidepressant in a group of drugs called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). It affects chemicals in the brain that may become unbalanced and cause depression or anxiety.

Lexapro is used to treat anxiety and major depressive disorder.

Suicidal ideation is not a common side effect of Lexapro, but that doesn't mean that it isn't possible. If you find this to be the case, I would suggest you discontinue the medication and contact your mental health provider immediately.

Weight changes are a common side effect, but varies from individual. Most will suffer from some weight gain, but this is not always the case. Some individuals do not have any change in their weight while some actually have a weight loss.

I would go ahead and take the medication as prescribed and if you find that you have side effects that are overly bothersome or that outweigh the benefit of the medication, once again, talk with your provider to seek alternative treatment(s).

Good luck to you and let us know how you are doing.

Michael(Jikan)
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE ADVICE!!! :)
Have an Answer?
Top Anxiety Answerers
Arlington, VA
370181 tn?1428180348
Arlington, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out what can trigger a panic attack – and what to do if you have one.
A guide to 10 common phobias.
Take control of tension today.
These simple pick-me-ups squash stress.
Don’t let the winter chill send your smile into deep hibernation. Try these 10 mood-boosting tips to get your happy back
Want to wake up rested and refreshed?