Anxiety Community
23k Members

Anxiety, depersonalization, and popping and cracking joints

I have been diagnosed with anxiety and I am currently taking 10mg Lexapro which doe not seem to be helping. I have really bad physical symptoms and I think there is something else medically wrong with me, even though the various health test that I've had all came up negative. My question is, does anyone of you suffering from anxiety feel constantly tired all of the time, feel like you are out of your body, like on drugs or living in a constant dream? I guess it's called depersonalization? But can it happen Constantly? I also have floaters, halos, white lights in my vision and doubled vision. Like, if I focus on an object, whatever other object is behind it or beside it is doubled. If you know what I mean? And when I sleep my body also vibrates. I have obsessive thoughts, I do obsessive things, I am constantly thinking, and feel like I have some kind of disease that the doctors cannot find. I cannot concentrate, I forget everything, feel foggy headed, and just feel empty. And can anxiety cause constant joint popping? I have constant grinding, popping, and cracking sounds in my joints all over my body, especially in my neck, very badly in my shoulders, my back, jaw, elbows, wrists, knees and hips. It does not usually hurt but my muscles and joints hurt and seem to be tense, weak and stiff.  Can anxiety cause all of these CONSTANT symptoms? This problem is effecting my life and my relationships and I just want to feel normal and like my old self again. I just need to know if Anxiety can cause all of these symptoms, and constantly, 24/7 I have these symptoms.THIS IS TAKING OVER MY LIFE! PLEASE HELP ME!!!
The information you said made me think about Lyme. Do some research on this illness and get tested by Igenex. A LLMD is the doctor you want to see for Lyme. Under Our Skin is a good documentary to understand the illness. It is often misdiagnosed with anxiety, depression, chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia and the list goes on. Lyme will not show in your labs, the ELISA and Western Blot test will often give false negative results and this is why Igenex is the number 1 source to get tested for Lyme but remember that Lyme is a clinical diagnosis that needs to be made by a LLMD. 50% of people don't notice the rash or simple don't have it and don't notice a tick bite.

Joints pain, depression, anxiety, brain fog, chronic fatigue are good indicators.

There is also a Lyme disease forum on MedHelp, you can try get some help there too. It's a good source of information.

M4
Thanks for your comment. I have also thought about lyme and hd both the antibody blood test for lyme which came up "High", and band 41 came up positive. So they did the Western blot on me and it came up negative. So they said I didnt have it. Then a neurologist also did a lymes test on me and it came up negative too. I was on doxycycline for another condition and read on the internet that doxycycline also cures lymes disease so I thought "Great I'm killing two birds with one stone" but it had no effect what so ever on how I felt. But both Lymes test, with my GP and with the neurologists came up negative. I am currently in Hampton Roads Va, and I cannot find an LLMD. I just do not know what to do. It is ruining my life. But can these symptoms be caused by anxiety? Is it possible? I am so scared. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
hi, am too suffering from severe popping sound in joints , neck, shoulder, wrist. there is no pain but it makes me embarrassed in public when I said to doctor they just saying its because your joints are becoming flexible it wont create any problem but am worried and now am scaring too to go in public.
All of the problems other than the joint popping are common complaints of anxiety sufferers.  Also common side effects of Lexapro, as well as other anti-depressants, which can cause muscular and joint tension.  Also could be caused by something else, as mentioned above, such as rheumatoid arthritis.  Or not.  But yes, they can all be caused by anxiety as well.
Thank you,
I was tested for rheumatoid arthritis and it came up negative. I read on another site that an increase in joint cracking popping sounds was a symptom of anxiety, but just one website said so. The joint popping was not one of my first problems, it came later. My first symptom was increased heart rate and panic atacks, then came the depersonalization, then it went all down hill from there. Because it started with panic attacks and depersonalization I was beginning to think that all of the doctors are right and that it is just anxiety. But I just do not know what to do. It is not going away. The joint popping and the depersonalization and the fatigue are my worst symptoms. I am just hoping all of this will go away with this lexapro, but I have been taking this medicine for a month now and it has done nothing for me.  I am so scared and so frustrated, I just hope all this is anxiety. I wish someone would just tell me that they have experienced all of my symptoms and they were all due to anxiety. I just need some hope. I just want to know it is only anxiety that is causing my symptoms and that it will all go away.
if possible go for test of thyroid because I has all these symptoms and finally comes to know hyperthyroid.
So joint popping cannot be caused by anxiety? Has anyone ever had this as a symptom caused by anxiety? Please help me!
look up kundalini awakening. Most of your symptoms are on the list. It's not caused by anxiety, but all past 'negative' energy / thought patterns start to purge themselves as the mind/body 'purify'. Yogi's work meditate for years to awaken their kundalini on the path towards enlightenment.
look up kundalini awakening. Most of your symptoms are on the list. All past negative energy / thought patterns start to purge themselves as the mind/body begin to purify. Yogis meditate for years to awaken their kundalini on the path towards enlightenment.
Lyme disease is a clinical diagnosis. I highly suggest you find a LLMD and watch Under Our Skin. A lot of people get false-negative results. Even if the Igenex tests come back negative it can suggest you have Lyme. A people will only 2 bands will be told negative but could be in fact highly positive. A complete Lyme panel should be done with Igenex also a complete co-infections panel. Then CD-57 for the follow ups.

The ELISA/Western blot tests are just not sensitive enough as they are looking for antigens you may fail to develop. The fact that you had one test that came up high is a good indicator that you need to investigate more on Lyme and find a LLMD along with testings with Igenex. They will do the PCR and IgN and IgG tests and a lot more.

I remind you that it is a clinical diagnosis first. The bacterias like to hide and drill thru tissues due to it's spiral form. The closest model of the Lyme bacteria is syphilis.

For late Lyme you may need 6 to 3 years of antibiotics and maybe IV antibiotics if you do not respond well to oral abx.

The illness is curable and don't let anyone tell you it's all in your head until you have ruled out Lyme disease for good. That will need a LLMD and Igenex.

M4
The longer you wait the worse it can get. Please take care.
I have found 2 ticks on my head on my scalp, they were not embeaded in my scalp, but they were on my scalp, and I just picked them off and put them in the toilet. I have tried to find a LLMD bcause I am currently residing in Hampton Roads VA, and I cannot seem to find one. Do you have any reccomendations? Or know where I can go to find one? I have had these symptoms since last Winter, right around November. Do you think if I do in fact find out I have lymes disease and I have had it for almost a year now that it would still be curable? I am so worried.
Yes it is curable. It might need IV antibiotics and a some combinations but I recommend you write me a message so I can refer you to a good LLMD I know.

Please don't make the mistake most people do and don't underestimate the possibility of Lyme. The longer you wait the harder it is to treat. Lyme is epidemic and is most common than AIDS right now but there is a strong debate among the scientific community and the guideline. Fortunately since 2010 your illness can be recognize as chronic Lyme and you can be covered by you insurance company for the prolonged abx treatments.

Please contact me . I really care about this illness and how it is treated. Better be safe then sorry. Don't let anyone say it's in your head because indeed the bacteria can spread to the head (brain) and joints, tissues and whatnot....

M4
Check out the Mayo Clinic website below regarding this.  We live in a very large rural area and have for many years.  There are deer in our yard day and night, yet the percentage of Lyme Disease in the entire state is extremely low, very rare.  We do find ticks but not the deer ticks, and we have had no problems.  They drink at our bird bath and eat from our bird feeders.  Our house is surrounded by woods for several miles.  Hope this helps.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/lyme-disease/DS00116/DSECTION=symptoms
I have experienced all of your symptoms with anxiety, except the joint popping.  Depression can make you tired all the time along with wanting to sleep a lot.  You may have both going on.  But it's always best to check out all other causes before assuming it's anxiety and/or depression.  Good luck and take care!
I think you need to let your doctor know that the Lexapro isn't working, you may need a dosage increase or change of medication.  You obviously has anxiety issues, which need to be addressed.