Anxiety-Antibiotics

I believe I have been experiencing severe panic attacks/ anxiety as a result of a combination of antibiotics I was on for an UTI.

I have stopped the antibiotics, abou 36 hours ago, and am wondering how long before they are out of my system? and when they are out, will the anxiety go away?

My GP prescribed a mild anti-anxiety drug and it has helped but not completely.. My heart is pounding and anytime I think of leaving the house I get sick to my stomach... Is there any way to fight these feelings without upping the dose of my medication.. and how long will this last?

Thank you for any help.
Week 20
Think i have finally figured it out
My anxiety is 1 or 2 max on a scale of 1-10 and on most days i am totally anxiety free.

i got my anxiety after a 2-3x round of antibiotics for sinus about 5 months ago....I watch this video about 1 or 2x a week and helps a lot and i can go about my business as usual for the rest of the week. Recently, i walked into a health store and asked if they had something of anxiety...their reply take B-vitamins. So i did....OMG B-vitamins are the culprit (in my case atleast). I feel almost normal again - right after the first b-complex

Antibiotics kill good bacteria in the stomach, that helps process nutrients and vitamins. B-vitamins control or gate adrenal gland response, thus when B-vitamin processing bacteria die, the threshold for anxiety / stress lowers...or you become more sensitive. Very simple logic! Go get your B-vitamin (super potency bottle)...works wonders! and then practice with this video! Lemme know how it goes....
I mean Lack of B-Vitamins are one of the main causes for my anxiety response!
Ok reading this settles my anxiety a little already.  I have been thinking I was crazy for the last year and a half.  Antibiotics have ruined the last year and a half of my life!! Somehow, they have screwed up my body so bad and given me the worst anxiety/depression/brain fog ever!!  Impending doom is the PERFECT way to describe it.  The DR won't do anything!!!  Everyone thinks it's in my head, the doctors and my famiily.  I had to go to the ER the last time I took antibiotics because of a complete panic attack.  I felt sooo out of it the couple days before and then just flipped out in a panic attack thinking it was my liver.  Fluoxetine didn't help and I'm afraid to take xanax.  I work out all the time, I even went on a strict no sugar, or wheat or flour diet.  Well I finally decided colonics might help me get better and I don't know what happened, but I have had 2 now and my anxiety is getting to the point of what it was the last time I took antibiotics.  I don't know if it was stirring up that bad bacteria that has been stuck in my body and driving me crazy or what.  I'm going to keep going on the colonics and taking probiotics and I just hope to heck I get back to normal.  Life is too short to be this miserable.  Thank you all so much for posting here
Hi all,

I'm 40 and had a bout of anxiety back during the high tech crisis while I was living in Boston and went through the whole Celexa, Effexor, Paxil, Trazadone regiment. I found that after 10 months of the anti-depressants that it overcame the anxiety but added another realm of difficulties like feeling disconnected, brain sparks (when you feel something like a shock in your head).

Anyway, I felt that after 10 months things weren't getting much better and decided to go the natural route and did accupuncture, massage therapy, homeopathy and eventually visited a naturalpath. All these avenues are a little costly, but the naturalpath introduced me to two concepts..... better eating and exercise. My diet was really horrible as I like pizza, burgers and espresso as much as the next person. She also, prescribed some magnesium in liquid form (equiv to about 150mg/day) and told me to drink distilled water to help clean my body.

Anyway, after about 4 months I felt better and was felt good for about 3 years ..... til I ended up with bronchitus (I have young kids and things tend to come home with them). Tried to fight it, but ended up on Cipro (Ciproflaxicin) for 8 days, then Biaxin (Clarithromycin) for 5 days. I switched from Cipro to Biaxin as I was experiencing a severe shaking feeling inside...especially at night. I guess Biaxin was not better and simply prolonged my exposure.

My thinking is my underlying anxiety was brought back through the use of Cirpo and Biaxin. Somehow they threw out my brain chemical balance again. A real pain in the ***...... but at least I know that (fingers crossed) I can get back again by taking care of myself. Sometimes it feels so hopeless as you lay there in bed and get get a decent nights rest. I took gravol and sometimes two aspirens before bed which helped a little. Gravol seems to leave me  with the feeling that I was hit by a truck and spent the night in a ditch somewhere..... but it's the best I could come up with at the time. I was looking like a walking zombie for a while; but it gets better.

Diet, exercise, distilled water, magnesium, lower my life stress and hope for the best.

derek
Probiotics!!!  Those silly antibiotics kill off all of your intestinal flora and leave your gut depleted.  Try it and see how you feel :)
I was put on Doxcicylin for a cyst for 10 days. At first I experienced panic attacks before bedtime then after a week on it I experienced full on severe depression. I feel listless have no interest in anything but to stay in bed. I have feelings of severe worthlessness. My stomach feels weak. I thought at first symptoms were hormonal I am female and initial symptoms were headaches and anxiety. I realized yesterday my behaviour and feelings are just too extreme. I could cry at a drop of a hat I just want to stay in bed and have no energy for anything. I am usually at the gym working out 1 to 2 hours a day running around doing errands have a zest for life. I have no interest or energy or interest now. To do a meinial task like make my stepson dinner drains me.  I just would rather be in bed.This is not normal so those who are experiencing these symptoms you are not alone. I am stopping the pill and going on a probiotic as Id rather feel better then have clear skin. The medical community is doing a diservice to the public if they do not recognize depression anxiety as a side effect for taking these drugs and state or state so on literature.
Sarah, that sounds exactly like what happened to me!!!  I was on birth control at the time and I all of a sudden had this terrible depression hit me.  I thought they had caused me to have a severe hormonal imbalance.. It took me MONTHS to put 2 & 2 together to realize I was also on antibiotics at the time the depression hit me.  Meanwhile, I had all these other symptoms and the doctor kept giving me more and more antibiotics.  I think I did 5 or 6 in a little over a year.  Well anyway.. I finally realized that I have candida from all the antibiotics and birth control.  I have been getting colonics and you would not believe the amount of stuff that was inside my body!!  I think it was a mixture of my liver being overtaxed and the candida getting so severe.  I encourage all of you to get colonics.  Please don't take any more antidepressants and anti anxiety meds that the dr's give you.  They do not recognize candida as a condition.
Hi. I had two experience like this with antiobiotics.
First back in 2006 I was pescribed doxyciline for 10 days and then cataflam for a week. I got healed out of my infection of ureaplasma, but as a side effect of cataflam I got helicobacter piroli infection. For the helicbacter I was prescribed amoxicillin-fagyl-doxyciklin combination therapy for a week. Altough I got healed out of the infection I got anxiety, which was very bad, could not think straight, couldt sleep, felt desperate. These things wore out in two moths after I stopped taking the the antiobiotics!

Then now inthe june of 2011 I got pelvic inflammatory desease. I was prescribed fagyil and doxyciklin for ten days. I did not heal well so I got fagyl again. Then I got diflucan becouse my doctor said he thinks I was healed, there was only candida left. A week later my pelvic imflammation started again, I want back and got Azithromycin. I helped a bit but did not heal me. At this point the doctor took a smear test from me. A few days later the result showed E.coli. So he prescribed me Doxyciklin again for then days. At this time doxyciklin helped my infdection but I could not take it only for two days! After I took the third pill I went to bed, and woke up in the night with terrible feelings, flet like my head was burning, and I could not think straight, I was confused! I slept back, and in the morning I thought it was something that I was too tired or something. In the morning I felt well again, so after breakfast I took my doxy again. Than after 20 minutes I started to feel very weak, I got confused, I had to go to my bed, fell asleep and when I woke up it was like I was in a fog.  I had terrible headaches also. The first two weeks I woke up at nights shaking, feeling dizzy, and very weak. I had sometimes strange feelings on my skin, like it was hot and cold running on my legs. I stopped takin doxy exactly three weeks ago and I still feel bad. I dont know how long it will last this time.
I am currently taking Minocin for an eye infection, and I am experiencing the anxiety symptoms that are so helpfully described on this forum.  For me, the anxiety is far worse if you take the medication on an empty stomach.  This causes nausea, and will send you over the edge into panic unless you are aware what is happening.  The best solution is to eat something bready and wait it out.  The anxiety comes in waves, with the heaviest emotion right after taking the pills, and then slowly subsiding until the next dose.  

I really want to solve this eye infection, and it's too bad that I need to withstand such severe side effects in order to do so.
i have an on going UTI and have been on cefelexin  on and of  for 3yrs i am now on nitrofurantion the anxiety i feel is so bad stupid thoughts  fear realy scared dont know what to do i feel that its not all me and that  theses meds have done a lot to me to feel as i do any answers please
I dont ever write on forums but this issue really bothered me and is obviously bothering you. I had the same symptoms as most people have mentioned above. OCD thoughts, anxiety, moods and emotions jumping all over the place. I am a 19 year old male, and was recently prescribed penicillin vk for a throat infection(2 in the morning and 2 at night). I finished the antibiotics and still had weird symptoms and emotions/feelings mentally. I can now say i am thoroughly feeling better after taking the vitamins/supplements that indus134 had mentioned. I am still slowly recovering from sleep insomnia waking up early in the morning.. and not being able to fall back asleep. Overall i am feeling much better and feel as if most my symptoms are slowly deteriorating. I aslo feel that the cause of my issues could be result of seasonal change disorder. I live in northern ontario(canada).
Thanks so much for your invitation to email you. I was always a happy and positive guy but on a vacation recently I contracted a stomach parasite (Blasto H) and started loosing weight and couldn't eat much.  When I got home I went to my doctor and he put me on Septra, 2 pills per day ev 12 hours. On the third morning after only 5 pills I became so depressed and anxious I was considering suicide. I was camping with my family and was hiding in my RV.  I stopped the pills immediately but 2 weeks later I was still in danger of doing harm to myself. It would come and go. I finally ended up in emergency and they put me on an anti depressant which is now causing acid reflux, probably because I have not even recovered from the parasite infection, who knows.  My doctor just says he has never heard of depression caused by septra so I can't seem to get any help. He wanted me to back on it (????).  Anyways, I am trying to cope with the side affects of the Cymbalta (anti depressant) and eating anti parasitic foods, taking probiotics, trying to get a lot of rest and exercise, taking mood enhancement classes. I would love to go off the anti depressants but not sure at what point I should risk doing that. Has anyone been through this nightmare? I am trying to remain positive but its difficult and I have no one to talk to who has been through something like this, including any doctors and psychiatrists I have been in contact with. I think it is best to treat the infection in a natural way but a lot of the vitamins or anti parasitic herbs can't be taken with the cymbalta so this is a dilemma.
Anyways, I would love to hear from anyone who has some helpful advice.
Hello Hank,

I may know exactly how you feel, I may not... But let me tell you a little about my story thus far. I have had decently bad acne for a while, and now that I am 20 years old I thought it would be a great idea to see a dermatologist and get some kind of medication. Well I did, I went in and during the visit they prescribed me Minocycline. My experience with this antibiotic has been so bad I shiver at the sight of just the word itself. I started taking it in what I believe was April. I went back on my phone to that date a few weeks ago to double check my story and it's true. Just a few days after starting to take the antibiotics, I started getting dizzy, and feeling very detached and weird from my friends and family. Almost like I had no emotional investment in anything, like I was just watching everything happen and I felt like I could "read people" better but I'm thinking now that I was "reading" people like a sociopath might. The weekend I started taking them, I dropped my new iPhone and broke it, I slammed my finger in a car door, and the biggest thing was that when I drank coffee I started having major anxiety attacks. I was at university at the time and I would have to go outside and just sit for maybe an hour to calm myself down. So pretty soon, I dropped out of school... I could not handle being there. I moved in with my mom over the summer. During this summer I kept getting the feeling like I was "high." Well it turns out that feeling I was getting was because of Depersonalization and De-realization. It turns out that it is relatively common to get these side effects from cannabis. The side effects make you feel like your in this dream state and that you are kind of detached from your surroundings. Well this persisted all the way through the summer, I had to quit my job and I decided to then move in with my dad because I still hadn't made the connection to the antibiotics for some reason. I was still taking 200 mg of minocycline a day (this was for 2.5 whole months!). I moved in with my dad and thats when things got terrible. I stopped being able to go outside, I was VERY detached from my family and it felt like I hardly knew them, I couldn't watch a movie because it all looked fake and I had lost the ability of suspension of disbelief. I literally thought I was going to end up in the looney bin! Lordy what a horrible time that was. Well, suddenly I read online that Depersonalization is a rare side effect of minocycline... CLICK! The lightbulb went on and I haven't taken one since. Well after 2.5 months of taking that stuff I was sure I had done some serious damage to my body. And it was actually the weeks following the last pill that were the absolutely worst weeks of possibly my life. This was this past month btw. I didn't want to talk to anyone, I didn't want to go outside, I felt like everything was a stage, I had terrible anxiety about how my eyes were seeing things, I had terrible anxiety about how I felt about other people, and even the tiniest things would cause a horrible anxiety attack sometimes making me want to vomit. Well - Thats when I kicked it into high gear reading things online. I found this thread and it possibly saved my life! I hope at least. Well What I did was stop eating anything but celery and almonds... Yes that may be unhealthy but I was in such a terrible place I wanted to be dead rather than live life like I was... I literally cut out everything except celery almonds, and vitamins. I also took probiotics. I took these: Magnesium, calcium, zinc, b12, b100 complex, inositol, acidophilus (until I can afford a better probiotic), multivitamin for men, fish oil, and maybe a few other healthy things. I noticed literally the very SECOND my body returned to a normal state. I could feel the weight of my body kick in again. I remember, I was reading the steve jobs book shortly after taking b12, magnesium, calcium, zinc, and fish oil... I was already on the crazy diet... it hit me like BOOM, my vision was mostly back to normal, I was able to emotionally invest into things again. I was so amazed I woke up my dad at 3 am. Well, it wasn't the end of the anxiety completely but it made a huge difference. I take a large dose of b12 because I think that may be a big part of the culprit. OH, and I believe I was eating yogurt for the probiotics too... I've been eating lots of greek yogurt lately. Well... After doing research I found that B vitamins control some kind of adrenal gland, and that having the anxiety was bringing on all those feelings of depersonalization and derealization because when you have anxiety and your adrenal glands are pumping, your body goes into a fight or flight response and your brain works differently. the antibiotics caused an overgrowth of certain bacteria and killed my other bacteria so that the bacteria that is supposed to process and digest b vitamins or at least help bring it out of food were not in my gut (and still may not be). So after I starved the part of my gut that was overpowering the rest, took some probiotics and ate yogurt, then took b vitamins after eating and along with fish oil, magnesium, zinc, and calcium, it was like a big dose straight to my brain of something i was missing for the last several months! As of now, I've gotten off the diet since it's so damn hard to keep on it when you feel better, but now that I'm off of it the symptoms are coming back! Not nearly as strong but they are still there. IT's either 1 my body is in the process of healing and it's not quite there yet, 2 my overgrowth bacteria is becoming dominant again (may be candida), or 3 my body is just permanently screwed up from these silly antibiotics. Regardless of what it is I am extremely happy to say that this diet and taking those supplements works in bringing me back to feeling normal again. I hope to heal better than I already have, and then again I did take antibiotics for 2.5 months which is quite long.

I'm aware my post is very long and just pray that I can help someone else out that is in a similar situation. I want them to know that there is someone else out there that has felt they way they do and that it does and can pass. Its a VERY dark place and i wouldn't wish it on my worst enemies.

Peace, and love...

Stay strong!

Elias
(Posting again and dividing up the paragraphs)
(HOW IVE DEALT WITH THE ANXIETY AND DEPERSONALIZATION/DEREALIZATION)

Hello Hank,

I may know exactly how you feel, I may not... But let me tell you a little about my story thus far. I have had decently bad acne for a while, and now that I am 20 years old I thought it would be a great idea to see a dermatologist and get some kind of medication. Well I did, I went in and during the visit they prescribed me Minocycline. My experience with this antibiotic has been so bad I shiver at the sight of just the word itself.

I started taking it in what I believe was April. I went back on my phone to that date a few weeks ago to double check my story and it's true. Just a few days after starting to take the antibiotics, I started getting dizzy, and feeling very detached and weird from my friends and family. Almost like I had no emotional investment in anything, like I was just watching everything happen and I felt like I could "read people" better but I'm thinking now that I was "reading" people like a sociopath might. The weekend I started taking them, I dropped my new iPhone and broke it, I slammed my finger in a car door, and the biggest thing was that when I drank coffee I started having major anxiety attacks. I was at university at the time and I would have to go outside and just sit for maybe an hour to calm myself down. So pretty soon, I dropped out of school... I could not handle being there.

I moved in with my mom over the summer. During this summer I kept getting the feeling like I was "high." Well it turns out that feeling I was getting was because of Depersonalization and De-realization. It turns out that it is relatively common to get these side effects from cannabis. The side effects make you feel like your in this dream state and that you are kind of detached from your surroundings. Well this persisted all the way through the summer, I had to quit my job and I decided to then move in with my dad because I still hadn't made the connection to the antibiotics for some reason. I was still taking 200 mg of minocycline a day (this was for 2.5 whole months!).

I moved in with my dad and thats when things got terrible. I stopped being able to go outside, I was VERY detached from my family and it felt like I hardly knew them, I couldn't watch a movie because it all looked fake and I had lost the ability of suspension of disbelief. I literally thought I was going to end up in the looney bin! Lordy what a horrible time that was. Well, suddenly I read online that Depersonalization is a rare side effect of minocycline... CLICK! The lightbulb went on and I haven't taken one since.

Well after 2.5 months of taking that stuff I was sure I had done some serious damage to my body. And it was actually the weeks following the last pill that were the absolutely worst weeks of possibly my life. This was this past month btw. I didn't want to talk to anyone, I didn't want to go outside, I felt like everything was a stage, I had terrible anxiety about how my eyes were seeing things, I had terrible anxiety about how I felt about other people, and even the tiniest things would cause a horrible anxiety attack sometimes making me want to vomit. Well - Thats when I kicked it into high gear reading things online. I found this thread and it possibly saved my life! I hope at least. Well What I did was stop eating anything but celery and almonds...
Yes that may be unhealthy but I was in such a terrible place I wanted to be dead rather than live life like I was...

I literally cut out everything except celery almonds, and vitamins. I also took probiotics.

I took these: Magnesium, calcium, zinc, b12, b100 complex, inositol, acidophilus (until I can afford a better probiotic), multivitamin for men, fish oil, and maybe a few other healthy things.

I noticed literally the very SECOND my body returned to a normal state. I could feel the weight of my body kick in again. I remember, I was reading the steve jobs book shortly after taking b12, magnesium, calcium, zinc, and fish oil... I was already on the crazy diet... it hit me like BOOM, my vision was mostly back to normal, I was able to emotionally invest into things again. I was so amazed I woke up my dad at 3 am. Well, it wasn't the end of the anxiety completely but it made a huge difference. I take a large dose of b12 because I think that may be a big part of the culprit. OH, and I believe I was eating yogurt for the probiotics too... I've been eating lots of greek yogurt lately. Well... After doing research I found that B vitamins control some kind of adrenal gland, and that having the anxiety was bringing on all those feelings of depersonalization and derealization because when you have anxiety and your adrenal glands are pumping, your body goes into a fight or flight response and your brain works differently. the antibiotics caused an overgrowth of certain bacteria and killed my other bacteria so that the bacteria that is supposed to process and digest b vitamins or at least help bring it out of food were not in my gut (and still may not be). So after I starved the part of my gut that was overpowering the rest, took some probiotics and ate yogurt, then took b vitamins after eating and along with fish oil, magnesium, zinc, and calcium, it was like a big dose straight to my brain of something i was missing for the last several months! As of now, I've gotten off the diet since it's so damn hard to keep on it when you feel better, but now that I'm off of it the symptoms are coming back! Not nearly as strong but they are still there.

IT's either 1 my body is in the process of healing and it's not quite there yet, 2 my overgrowth bacteria is becoming dominant again (may be candida), or 3 my body is just permanently screwed up from these silly antibiotics. Regardless of what it is I am extremely happy to say that this diet and taking those supplements works in bringing me back to feeling normal again. I hope to heal better than I already have, and then again I did take antibiotics for 2.5 months which is quite long.

Peace, and love...

Stay strong!

Elias
Elias,

Just wanted to thank you for your story as i went through such a horrible time too for few years, but didn't realise until about 3 years ago that it was caused by the minocin. What a nightmare I went through and I do think it takes a good while for things to return to normal and fish oil and vitamins would definitely help.
I am glad you are feeling better again and I know when I tell my story, people probably think "Oh an antibiotic couldnt have caused Depression" but we know it can..............I too went on it for a skin condition and would rather have acne/rosacea than deal with Depression from the antibiotic...never once in the few years that I had depression did any of the doctors suggest it could be the Minocin-it was only from my own research....
Thanks again and hope you will continue to improve.....
I know this post was 3 years ago, but I was so interested in reading about your terrible reaction to antibiotics. I had no idea what a high dose of antibiotic could do to you until I began taking 2000 mg of Amoxicillin for two weeks (just stopped treatment about 10 days ago). I experienced the worse fear of my life as well. The anxiety and panic attacks were horrible and I imagined that I was doomed and probably had acquired some horrible disease.

I am a nurse and had no idea that high doses of antibiotics could do this to people. I know that the pharmaceutical companies play this down and only mention the side effects that are the milder ones. If you read further, you will see that neuro effects are just as prevalent.  I stopped taking 10 days ago and still have some shakiness, and the anxiety is starting to improve. It also caused very, very uncomfortable upper right quadrant (biliary) pain that is just now starting to decrease. I am going to write the FDA and report this. I don't think people have reported enough of these symptoms to the FDA. It's like most drugs......you hear what the Pharma companies want you to hear so you'll keep taking and buying it. My heart goes out to you and anyone having to deal with the dark and fear that these antibiotics can cause.
My doctor gave me a trick to get out of a severe antibiotic anxiety attack. Use a bicarbonate buffering agent (NOT baking soda though) that has calcium, magnesium, & a little potassium in it. It reduces the effect of the antibiotic, and that can help bring you out of anxiety almost immediatly. The anxiety will return when the antibiotic builds up in your blood again.
Where can you get something like that?
Faisal :-
            I am from Islamabad Pakistan.Hi to every one out there , let me tell you about my self and the problem i faced many years ago , i have studied in london when i was about 23/24 years old , i went there all alone and studied there , i also did job to bear my expensive, my elder brother was also supporting me financially , i was very happy , after some time i changed my friends the ones which i came with from pakistan, i lived alone in east ham london in a rented room , after few days i felt home sick , each and every monment i remember my home and about my loved ones back home, my happiness want me to be all alone in my room , most of the time i felt sleepy and at that time i always come back to my room, more than three to four times i got admitted in an hospital , eben one time for malaria disease which was not present in england , docters asked me that if i had travelled to another country but my answer was no not at all, then they said that it might be possible that malaria may reoccured after many years i didnt understand that , well my father came and told me to return back to my country that is pakistan, i was very happy and after comimng back to pakistan i felt sick again and ended again back in hospital where doctors told me that i have a depression/anxiety problem and that makes me very sick and some times iregular heart beat , shortness of breath, loss motions , diarea ...... after few weeks of medication prothadien i was ok , i completed my graduation and did a job to support my self , i got married and i have now four kids , and wife, in 2009 one of my office friend died in a tragic accident , which made my very said and after  4 days i started feeling the same old sickness of depression and anxiety , i rushed to the hospital and the same docter told me that this accdent has awoked your depression problem after nearly nine years , i got the same protaiden course and i was ok again , the docter told me that please be aware that this depression may rose at any time of your lif e so be happy , as i often get throat problem and the doctor prescribed me antibiotics course which often rose this depression problem.

there was my life story and now i need some guideness from all of guys out there , please help me out , please tell me how to have distance from anxity and depression as its very painful for me.......

Faisal
From pakistan
Just like others this thread has been a very big help. I have probably read thru it more then a few times.

I took amoxicillin 500mg three times daily for about two days before the anxiety kicked it. 7 pills actually. So the doctor who prescribed it put me on z pack. Only two 500mg pills and instantly after I went into panic attack mode. Since the ear infection wasn't gone I was then put on cefdinir. I don't think the last one added to my anxiety but the first to sure did.

I tried xanac but quite as to avoid addiction. Its been barely over two weeks and the anxiety is still bad. Last doctor I saw told me to tale Benadryl. Its helped but not much.

Its been very rough and I just keep telling myself it will get better. Im still having stomach problems so im going to try probiotics. I was eating yogurt daily but it doesnt seem to be enough. If that doesnt work ill keep looking.

I know this post is old and has continuously been brought back, but I feel its important that it does so people out there can find help. If anyone from this post still comes by, please tell us if your okay now. We could use the good news and hope.
Wow same here  my anxiety went away within a week I was also put on a mild med to help aleviate some anxiety..drink a lot of water clean out your system easy lots of water melon and drink fresh coconut water...try to exercise and keep your self busy...keeping a positive mind that it will pass helps ....keep me posted ..I hope you start to feel better soon....:)
My last post was to u sorry  :)
So far it's touch and go. Ive definitely been drinking lots of water. I just started my probiotic increase regimen so im not sure if thats helping or not.

I did have a few hours of peace earlier but out if nowhere I became very anxious. I have anti anxiety meds but out of fear I will or was getting addicted I stopped. Right now I've been trying Benadryl as recommended by a doctor. It can help with sleeping, a little, but its only mildly affective.

What antibiotics did you take? I believe the first two definitely caused the anxiety and the third just help to keep my body chemistry off. And how severe was you anxiety? Mine was practically a 10 at first now I fluctuate from highs like 9 or 8 to mostly lows like 5 and below. Rarely any 0s but I've had a few.
I know the post is old but thought I'd try contacting you... I couldn't see ur email... Mine is ***@****... Would love to talk to someone about my anxiety!
Hi Prisoner, Hell, your letter touched me deeply.
I have also been in a depression hell for many years, was on anti-depressants, weaned myself off them and found a good website whilst I was doing research.
I am not a doctor, so I do this for free.
Through trial and error and much research, I have found what works and what is a waste of money.
There are a few supplements that you can take, it will get rid of the depression and also get rid of anxiety.
Please let me know if you need the name of the supplements.
Hi Kris, you are on the right track. Anxiety and depression can be cured with supplements.
I have weaned off anti-depression drugs and have been taking natural supplements for the depression for the last 6 years at least.
If you are interested I can let you know what to take.
I am not a doctor, but I have experimented and knows what works.
I took Bactrim DS for 10 days for a urinary tract infection. While I was taking it and the 5 weeks since, it's given me severe internal shaking/anxiety and rapid heartbeats.  The anxiety starts in the morning when I wake up.  When the anxiety lessens in the afternoons the rapid heartbeats start and continue throughout the night.

I am going through menopause and those are classic symptoms of menopause.   However, I never had those symtpoms UNTIL I took the Bactrim.   It's like the antibiotic set off some terrible hormonal storm in my body.

For those reading this, if you don't want to take prescription meds for the  anxiety, I have found that L-theanine (the relaxing amino acid that's in green tea) helps to lessen the anxiety.  It can be found in most health food stores.  I take 1 or 2 100mg tabs per day.The calming effect seems to last about 8 hours.  I pray that the daily anxiety and weird heartbeats ends soon because some days it's felt like I'm going insane.   It's the worst I've ever felt in my life.

Updating that I'm trying the suggestion of taking a super complex B-vitamin suggested in a post above, it seems to be helping after just a few days.

I had already been taking fish oil, D, inositol, a multivitamin/mineral and a probiotic to help get over this nightmare.  It might be just a fluke, but after adding the super B complex for just a few days, I've started to get entire days of being symptom-free!    

On the site chiro (dot org) there's a chart that tells what nutrients various types of drugs deplete, so I am trying to replace as many of those as I can.

I've also researched that feeling jittery and getting weird heartbeats, sweating, etc can be a symptom of hyperthyroidism.  Maybe antibiotics mess up our thyroids too?
Here it is 4am. Can't sleep b/c of ridiculous anxiety. I've been feeling overwhelmed to the point that I thought I was losing it. After hours of trying to calm my mind (walks, meditation, reading, trying to work) I started searching my mind for what has changed since experiencing the anxiety. Finally, I remembered that Im taking these crappy penicillin pills 4x a day. I googled 'can antibiotics make you crazy' and relief!! At least there's a reason Im feeling like a loony toony. Thank you for posting you comments!!
Interesting. I was searching for the opposite effect that most are reporting here. After years of anxiety I took some antibiotics yesterday and found that I woke up with a sense of calm that I haven't had in years even with anxiety medication. Seems like a great case for a university thesis in this.
I started having anxiety last year.  I was put on an antibiotic also, and discovered it made my anxiety much worse.  When I told my doctor about it, he agreed it would do that.  He also cautioned me about taking  OC medications for colds and sinus problems.  I have head pressure with my anxiety.  I haven't seen on this post where anyone else said they experience this. I have gone from severe panic attacks and not wanting to leave my house to going back to work and have anxiety that lasts for about 1 to 2 hours per day.  I pray that I can have a normal day one day.  
What antibiotic did you take?
I have had panic attacks since I was 12 and am now 52,Finally was feeling good for years,,until I took Bactrim for a Bladder  infection and I cannot believe what it did to me,I went into a full blown 10 hr anxiety attack,,and I jusy about felt like i was doomed and not gonna make it,fel like it was never gonna go away,I was sweating,pacing,vomiting,crying,scared like hell,felt impending doom,,was almost ready to go to the stress unit,,couldn't stand the way I felt and that was after only taking 4 tablets,,I stopped talking them right away and it took me almost a week to get my strength back and stop feeling so weak.I would not recommend anyone who is prone to anxiety to take this drug,,It was a hellish journey.
I know you posted his several years ago, but if you still check your messages...I thank you!
I was in Honduras and contracted a parasite infestation.   I have been on Cipro, Flaygl and Alpenza.  I have been suffering from anxiety symptoms since I started the meds.  Tingling/burning sensations in my arms, legs, & face, leg weakness...
I have convinced myself that I have MS.  I went to the doctor today to start the long process of elimination.  I feel much more relaxed tonight knowing that this antibiotics can cause the anxiety symptoms I am experiencing.  
Thank you for sharing....be well
I could really use your help I just finished z pak and have anxiety and total insomnia. Please let me know the supplement and whatever else.
Thanks larry
Thanks larry
I am glad to find this community! Several years ago, I was on antibiotics off and on for 6 months for sinus problems. I went through hell on earth, not knowing what was wrong with me - anxiety, heart pounding, pressure in my head, dizzy, weak, etc. It was one of the most horrible, scary times in my life. I finally realized years later, with the same thing happening on a lower scale every time I took antibiotics, that my body was having an adverse reaction. Same with taking Vitamin D - terrible upset stomach, reflux.  I became determined to see to my own health better than ever - eat right, take very good supplements, and follow a moderate, more alternative medicine/ifestyle approach in order to stay as well as possible. It has helped. Today I told the Dr I have adverse reactions to antibiotics and Vit D, and he did not believe me, said I had too much anxiety, that he doesn't have any patients with problems like that. I nearly cried because he is a good Dr otherwise, but I know my own body well enough to know that these are REAL, not a result of anxiety. I am going to be more consistent with my healthful lifestyle. A good naturopath with a solid reputation for helping direct one to good health and also treating problems with herbs/diet/natural means can be a great way to go. It is easy to become desperate to get well and go overboard on even alternative/healthful lifestyle, eating, etc. I did at the beginning of my desperate effort to get well. A naturopath will help a lot. I am not a vegetarian and don't advocate that, but whatever will help bring good health is what one should do. Take heart! The body is always trying to heal itself as much as possible. Give it the help it needs and things will hopefully get much better.
I took levaquin 500 mg for 10 days and have experienced anxiety since the first dose. I've never had a problem with anxiety before. Does anyone know how long this will last? I've started a probiotic. It has been almost two weeks since my last dose. I feel a little better knowing the anxiety is a result of the medicine but I don't know what to do to fix it.
I have been suffering with anxiety for about 2 year now and I suspected it was because of a high dose of antibiotics i was taking due to sinus problems but the doctors told me that it wasn't possible that the antibiotics could do this. Even though it mentioned it underside effects(found out a year later). I have been trying everything i could think of to recover from the anxiety. Went to a physiologist thinking that its all in my head but still happening.  I get relapses of panic attacks randomly every now and then. It doesnt seem be related to a specific situation,like  i will be on my sofa and the anxiety will kick in. Thats how i found this forum and i see am not the only one that medication caused their anxiety.

Is there anything i can do to help recovery from the anxiety and the sinus problem?
I'm guessing they linked.
I have been suffering with anxiety for about 2 year now and I suspected it was because of a high dose of antibiotics i was taking due to sinus problems but the doctors told me that it wasn't possible that the antibiotics could do this. Even though it mentioned it underside effects(found out a year later). I have been trying everything i could think of to recover from the anxiety. Went to a physiologist thinking that its all in my head but still happening.  I get relapses of panic attacks randomly every now and then. It doesn't seem be related to a specific situation,example, i will be on my sofa and the anxiety will kick in.So i started searching and that's how i found this forum and i see am not the only one that medication caused their anxiety.

I'm guessing they linked.
I have been having anxiety and panic attacks for 3 years, and it all started after going to the clinic for feeling too tired and sleepy, back then I was younger and didn't know that stress can make you feel that tired. The doctor prescribed me a high dose of antibiotics because supposedly my throat looked irritated and I might have an infection. I took the antibiotics and I started feeling like I was going crazy but didn't know what was wrong. After a year it got a little bit better, I never took any medication for it, since I was scared that it might make it worst. So after doing a lot of research and new studies that have shown the relation of the bacteria in the gut to the brain and all the benefits of taking probiotics, I started taking some, I take now foods probiotic-10, it has 10 strains and 25 billion organisms, twice a week and I have been feeling a lot better, like the old me, I still have a little of anxiety but its nothing compared to before, now I can actually control it.
Azithromycin did this to me. I took it for 4 days and didn't sleep once from day 2-4. I figured it was maybe because I was feeling better or something but I just kept my mind busy and felt like I had done a ton of cocaine or something the entire time and got a TON of work done but really don't remember any of it. On day 5 it all came tumbling down. I was just laying down watching TV and started bawling for absolutely no reason and felt like I was going to literally go insane. Couldn't control my thoughts, they kept going to really bad places so I smoked a bowl of marijuana. Holy hell that was the worst decision ever. I freaked out so bad I ended up laying out in the street 100% sure I was going to die and wanted to make sure someone would find my body. Eventually I didn't die so I came back inside and took 4 benedryl, which were in the form of OTC sleeping pills (same ingredient). Once those kicked in I felt amazing, the anxiety was gone. I was happy, slept great. I am still experiencing this pretty bad but it seems to be getting better and have been taking benadryl every night since and it works well for me at least. I had to quit smoking cannabis for the time being because it still takes me to a really really bad place where I just stare at something, thinking bad things and how fked up the world is, why even bother living etc, which had never happened before I took the antibiotics. I believe I will eventually get better but feel like it is going to take some time. It's been 2 weeks since I took any at all and I feel as though I'm about halfway better. I was also taking probiotics/vitamins the entire time because I always have so I don't think that is a cure all.
Have gotten better since?
I know the feeling! I m goin through it now! ! Dreadful. I.m on antibiotics about 7 times a year for U T I.s & its always the same dreadful feeing. Get well soon.x
I thought I was crazy! So I've done a lot in the past year to better my health and to move forward in my life after going through a traumatic loss.   A few weeks ago I had broken a tooth that I had to have fully removed and days later I had an infection that left my face swollen. My dentist prescribes me amoxicillin and I return to work. I had very little pain but the swelling and discomfort and infection needed to be remedied before I could perform at my job properly.

I took the amoxicillin as prescribed and it made me feel sick and have an awful taste in my mouth. Then I wasn't able to sleep at night. I started to feel angry and rage full at first about my job for no apparent reason. I just started to hate working there. The next thing I know I'm having huge anxiety problems at work and when I'm at home when I think about my job and can't sleep at night, I woke up in the morning for several days feeling this hopeless sense of impending doom as other people have described. I quit my job just like that! Lost all of my benefits and everything because I was so miserable. I could just sit there and feel horrible and didn't even know why. I decided to stop the amoxicillin around that time because I was feeling sick all the time. I was taking 500 mg 3 times each day.

It's been two days since I stopped and I feel somewhat normal. When a panic comes over me I can control it. I had been so confused as to why I was bahaving so erratically and I thought to research if it could be crazies by amoxicillin.

Now I'm jobless but gave a clear mind to look for something else thanks to stopping the antibiotic. I am glad to see this site because it explains somethings I couldn't even come close to explaining. I felt like I needed to be committed and there was not one cause or reason for me to feel this way except I couldn't sleep anymore even with a benedryl it didn't work at all. I felt anger and rage and depression and doom and sadness. I cursed a beautiful sunny day and just wanted to be awful and moody. I felt like I wanted to just not exist anymore. Because of these awful mood swings and debilitating anxiety I will never allow myself to take amoxicillin.

I'm a 38 year old healthy female. I took a daily regime of several B vitamins and supplements as well as several other vitamins but stopped all of them so they wouldn't affect my amoxicillin treatment. I regret this now but will go back to my daily vitamin intake.

I hope this makes sense to people because I am almost convinced that this treatment is what caused me to abruptly have these mental issues.
Horrible story. I'm currently right in the middle of the after effects from Amox. Almost crashed my car, having brief black outs. Other symptoms I experience: anxiety, hyperventilation and weird electrical sensations in my head. I'm drinking a litre of raw kefir to replenish my gut bacteria. Hope this nightmare ends soon.
Can anyone tell me how long it was before the anxiety got better after taking antibiotics? I've been off of them for two weeks and still feel the same. If someone could give me some incite into how long they felt this way before getting better, it would give me light at the end of the tunnel. Thank you
What antibiotic were you on, dosage and for how long?
I am experiencing the same thing.  I was on flagyl and duflucan and now I feel constant, sick to my stomach anxiety. I've been off the meds for three weeks and no change. Did you get better?
Are you still feeling this way?
I am feeling better. I felt like I was going insane. It took about a month before the anxiety and nausea went away. I am staying away from diflucan. My body cannot handle it.
Thank you for the reply. I was on cipro for 5 days, 500mgs twice a day.
Drugs.com lists below POTENTIAL side effect, so you may be correct in thinking it made you anxious. I suggest you call the manufacturer for timing of side effects to disappear.
Note that anxiety is a difficult thing for anyone to pin down, because there is no measurement device so it is up to the sufferer to figure how anxious he is and when it comes and goes. The anxiety problem could also be from some other event in your life and just started coincidentally with the cipro usage.  Anxiety can occur from only one of many potential causes. http://www.univgraph.com/bayer/inserts/ciprotab.pdf

"changes in mood or behavior - depression, confusion, hallucinations, paranoia, tremors, feeling restless or anxious, unusual thoughts or behavior, insomnia, nightmares;"
Thank you for the info, hopefully it won't last long. It's horrible.

It doesn't happen to everyone, and likely not to many because that warning I posted was just to call your doc if anxiety occurred.
It is a different experience for each person so you might just get anecdotal evidence here that is not reliable. Some people might coincidentally have run into something that caused them anxiety right after taking it and confuse the cause.
For reliable advice it is better to call your pharmacist or doctor who sees people taking this drug all the time or the manufacturer who did the FDA trials to get the drug approved because he has all the scientific data for the world to find.
Okay thank you, I think I'll call my pharmacist later today.
For those of you who have had anxiety related to antibiotics, what do you take when you have an infection?
My case was severe.
In 2002 I already had some anxiety and depression. I was able to live my life with coping. But then got a Uti. I was put on bactrim. Second dose I was riding in the car, had my husband stop at restroom threw up, diarehha and severe panic. Went to the er 6 times shaking for hours, insomnia, couldn't eat, lost 15 pounds, severe depression... once the drug was out of my system I just could not understand why it was still happening. The drs really didn't say much either. I felt lost. But after about 5 years, I looked up on Internet and saw others had the same thing happen at different levels. It's crazy how something can change your life in such a traumatic way. I'm now on antidepressant.
Some others don't have any reaction to bactrim. But be aware.