Anxiety Community
23k Members
Avatar universal

Anxiety Disorder

Anxiety Disorder

I have medi-cal at no cost. And I NEED help with this social anxiety disorder ive looked up the symptoms online and it seems as if that is what i am suffering from. So my question is do I go to my regular doctor and he will send me to a psychiatrist? Im so lost, please help
1 Responses
1118884 tn?1338596450
If you can see a psychiatrist without a referral from your personal physician, I recommend you do so.

He/she is best qualified to diagnosis emotional/mental disorders.

However, it is up to you.  Maybe you will feel more comfortable in your doctor's office, discussing your fears.  Then going on to a specialist.  I believe many doctors in general practice hear their patient's worries about symptoms they have found online.  This can work against you to a point. They may tell you to stop checking out symptoms online and send you on your way.  

When you see a psychiatrist, you have the advantage of talking with a specialist; one who deals with every kind of mental disorder.  Mine asks me not to rely on what I read online..LOL.        Good luck.  
Have an Answer?
Top Anxiety Answerers
Avatar universal
Arlington, VA
370181 tn?1428180348
Arlington, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out what can trigger a panic attack – and what to do if you have one.
A guide to 10 common phobias.
Take control of tension today.
These simple pick-me-ups squash stress.
Don’t let the winter chill send your smile into deep hibernation. Try these 10 mood-boosting tips to get your happy back
Want to wake up rested and refreshed?