Anxiety Community
23k Members

Anxiety all day.... what to do

Hello everyone,

Trying to construct this question is difficult simply because its hard to put in to words what Im currently feeling. ALL day starting from when I wake up till I fall asleep I worry, I worry about everything. I worry about dying every single day, about having a terminal illness but yet I am afraid to be tested for it. I feel very "weird" depresonalization feeling as though my life is a dream at times. I no longer want to do anything I like do to, often times I realize I havent eaten and have to force myself to eat. I used to be a carefree, happy go lucky person and now im this now and I hate it. At this point I just want someone, anyone to tell me im not alone in this.
Thank You
Just read your post and really feel for you as I know exactly what you are saying.  I have been where you are at to the point that I could not believe that my own brain was doing all these terrible things to my body.  I was in so much pain I thought I was going to die, and many days wished I could.  I had not idea that I was suffering from depression and a severe case of general anxiety disorder.  When once things were explained to me and I was given tools to help me on road to recovery I started the long journey back.  That was in 2007 and I must tell you now that although I understand that I will always have anxiety at times in my life I understand the symptoms and can deal with them without all the fear associated with it.
After many different anti depressants I finally found one that suited me which was Mertazapine and this together with going to a psychologist and joining and intensive anxiety support group program for around 3 months I now live a happy life.
I would strongly recommend you speak to your doctor and seek medical help, your depersonalization feelings, lack of appetite and interest in life are very real symptoms of depression.  You don't have to suffer, you can be helped, it wont happen overnight as you didn't get this way overnight.  Start your journey with a first step.
I wish you blessings. Diane
Only 1% of magnesium in the body is actually found in blood, and only .3% is found in blood serum, so clinical blood serum testing may not successfully identify magnesium deficiency.

If you answer yes to any of the following questions, you may be at risk for low magnesium intake.

Do you drink carbonated beverages on a regular basis?

Do you regularly eat pastries, cakes, desserts, candies or other sweet foods?

Do you experience a lot of stress in your life, or have you recently had a major medical procedure such as surgery?

Do you drink coffee, tea, or other caffeinated drinks daily?

Do you take a diuretic, heart medication, asthma medication, birth control pills or estrogen replacement therapy?

Do you drink more than seven alcoholic beverages per week?

Do you take calcium supplements without magnesium or calcium supplements with magnesium in less than a 1:1 ratio?

Do you experience any of the following:

Anxiety?
Times of hyperactivity?
Difficulty getting to sleep?
Difficulty staying asleep?

Do you experience any of the following:

Painful muscle spasms?
Muscle cramping?
Fibromyalgia?
Facial tics?
Eye twitches, or involuntary eye movements?
I can answer yes to almost all  of those questions.  Do you know what the best magnesium supplement is or the proper way to treat this? Not sure if this is my problem, but unless it's unsafe to take a supplement, it's worth a try!

Thanks!!
Yes, excellent advice I omitted to mention that I take a total Magnesium Complete Formula 300mg capsule each evening, complex vitamin B each morning and 2x1000mg fish oil capsules morning and night.  This was recommended to me 2 years ago by my naturapath and it has certainly helped my recovery.

Yes magnesium is an often overlooked cause of anxiety. Good advice about B vitamins and omega 3 too. If your B vitamins are low, this affects the adrenal gland and anxiety can be due to weakened adrenal glands. Omega 3 looks helpful for anxiety too. This would be due to the beneficial effects omega 3 has on the neurotransmitter serotonin. Low serotonin can cause numerous symptoms such as depression, anxiety, and OCD.

Magnesium supplements are safe but should not be taken if you have kidney or heart conditions. If you start to see fluid retention then stop supplementing as your kidney's are not functioning effectively.

Amino acid bound, chelated mineral supplements can provide 3 to 10 times better assimilation than the non chelated forms. Check labels for the words citrate or chelate. Too much magnesium can cause diarrhea (magnesium relaxes muscles and this includes the gastrointestinal tract) so just reduce your dosage if this occurs. Chelated and citrate forms are less likely to cause diarrhea however.

According to the NIH, total dietary requirements for magnesium from all sources (i.e. food and/or supplements) is 320 - 420 mg of elemental magnesium per day. You may see 500mg of amino acid chelated magnesium on the front of the bottle but on the label: 500mg magnesium amino acid chelate is equivalent to 100mg elemental magnesium. :)
oh dear your not alone ive constantly worried about dying myself, I had gotten to a point where all i would do is sleep and cry because i was so afraid i had some sort of disease that i knew nothing about and one day i was going to be a goner. But im slowly learning im ok and so are you, Anxiety is such a battle and i know its scary but we will win , One thing i highly recommend is panic away its a amazing guide on how to get rid of anxiety im nearly starting and already feel so much better. Best of luck
You will be fine....I worry about dying and leaving my kids everyday!!. Im scared to leave my house, in fear of having another panic attack. Every symptom, Ive had it! Now Im dealing with Heart palpitations, scary! feels like my heart drop, and I get lightheaded...I cant wait until I rule out anything physical. sad
You are certainly not alone in this. All of us are here for the same reason- we've all felt lost, alone and helpless.

Treatment for anxiety and depression (the two go hand in hand) starts with a comprehensive medical exam. This sounds daunting, but it's a matter of a few minutes, a minute or two hooked to a heart monitor, and a blood test. I appreciate that you don't want to indulge your fears, but knowing whether or not there's a physical reason for your symptoms is a big relief for anyone. The mystery of not knowing anything is a misery.
         Your symptoms may or may not have a physical cause- many people develop anxiety from mental issues- myself included. Your doctor must first rule out any physical contributions to your fears, however, so you must be honest with him or her; tell them your suspicions, and that you're worried about your stress level. Ask for a consultation with a mental health professional if you feel it will help. In most cases,it will!   The hardest part of treatment is the day you ask for help, and everyone here will tell you that in hindsight, it's pretty easy compared to living another day with anxiety.
Sounds as though you have a combination of anxiety and depression going, something fairly common to many anxiety sufferers.

I have a couple of questions which may help to sort this out or perhaps pinpoint the cause of your anxiety.

Have you recently gone through any major life changes...new job, loss of a job, graduate school, move to another residence etc?

Have you recently lost a close family member or friend?

Do you have a lot of idle time on your hands which allows you to think too much?

In my case it's yes to all the above. Having down time to think is good but it all depends on what you're thinking of. Mind likes to play tricks and for many of us we haven;t yet beaten it at its game but one day we will figure out that this was all a farse our mind has us believing.