Anxiety Community
23k Members

Anxiety and Depression

I was given Paroxetine for depression/anxiety over a year ago.  I didn't take it however.  Tried talk therapy for 6 weeks instead.  I feel now, however, that I need to go on meds.  I was just wondering if someone can tell me what to expect after taking paroxetine.  Does it really work?  How long does it take it to work?  And are there any noticeable changes at all the first few weeks.  Before, I did take one pill when I was given the meds.  A few hours after taking the medicine, my husband said something that got me angry, and I litterally went into a rage of banging on the kitchen table.  It scared my husband, and I got to admit, I was frightened by it also.  I never had this type of anger before.  I only took one tablet, so I'm wondering is this a side effect of Paroxetine, or was it because I needed to allow more time for the meds to get into my system?  Any comments, please?  I really, really, need to go on meds now.  
Usually with this type of meds it takes a few weeks to notice effects,in the beginning you might have some side effects that will most likely pass.
If it works for you you can only find out by trying it as these meds work differently for different people.
Antidepressants (SSRI's - selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) have suicidal thoughts and actions as a black box warning. A good warning to take into account.

I removed my mother from these drugs when i found that warning out. She stopped taking acid blocker nexium and increased stomach acid (most acid reflux conditions are due to insufficient stomach acid!) so she was then able to absorb nutrients essential for serotonin production. Not only did GERD and LPR go away, so did her severe clinical depression and severe anxiety disorder!

An excellent article is from Integrative Psychiatry on Serotonin. Excerpts from the article...

"The following factors can cause low serotonin levels:

Alcohol
Artificial sweeteners (aspartame)
Caffeine
Cigarette Smoking
Diabetes
Dietary deficiencies of nutrient co-factors
Ecstasy, Diet Pills, and certain medications
Genetic Predisposition
Hormone Imbalances (thyroid, adrenal, estrogen)
Hypoglycemia
Insulin Resistance
Inflammation
Infections
Poor Diet
Lack of exercise
Lack of sunlight
Problems converting tryptophan to Serotonin
Problems with Digestion
Stress and Anger
High Cortisol Levels"

Once your natural serotonin levels are low enough to cause syptoms it is very difficult to significantly raise serotonin levels enough by food alone. SSRI's or selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors and SNRIs, serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors do not actually increase the amount of serotonin molecules in the brain. SSRI’s are thought to block the reabsorption (reuptake) of serotonin by certain nerve cells in the brain. This theoretically leaves more serotonin available in the brain. However if you have low serotonin to begin with these medications either will not work well, or work for a while then "poop out".

Natural serotonin supplements are likely to be the most effective means to raise serotonin levels in the brain while being safe and without the side effects of anti depression medications. Derived from seeds of Griffonia simpicifolia, a native African plant, 5-HTP, or 5-hydroxy tryptophan, is a safe dietary supplement that introduces higher levels of tryptophan into the blood stream which then enter the central nervous system and facilitate the needed synthesis of serotonin.

Lifestyle Changes to increase Serotonin:

Get plenty of exercise (30 minutes at least three times a week)
Eat regularly throughout the day.
Get plenty of natural sunlight
Manage stress and negative emotions
Get 6-8 hours of quality sleep a night
Set time aside for fun and relaxation
Take a multivitamin daily
Prayer and Meditation
Take a serotonin supplement"
Thanks for all the valuable information.  I will definitely take things into consideration.  From the way I felt after taking the medicine, I didn't feel suicidal.  I felt like I wanted to harm some one else though.  My doctor did ask if I was suicidal, and I said no.  I will look into the serotonin supplements at the health food store first before trying the Paroxetine.  I would also like to say that I have an hiatal hernia.  Because of this, I take Prilosec daily.  I'm thinking now that this will disrupt absorption of nutrients also.  Perhaps I better look into other means for treating the hiatial hernia also.Thanks again for the info.  
Oh yes acid blockers are bad for your mental and physical health!  My mother also had a hiatus hernia but the digestive enzyme supplements are great for her at any rate.  The prescription anti depressants also can cause homicidal thoughts and actions too.
She still has a hiatus hernia i mean. :)