Anxiety and SERT

I have had intense GAD  for over two years now.  It started after the birth of my first child. I have tried many anxiety meds: Prozac, Lexapro, Effexor, Paxil ect.  I have also tried many natural cures ie. Saint John Wort, 5-HTP and many  amino acid supplements. They either did not help at all, or they took away the anxiety but left me with intense stomach pain (IBS with constipation), fever, nausea, and vertigo. I read some information that now they believe that there is a link between not enough of the 5-HT transporter SERT to transport the serotonin out of the gut to other parts of the body including the brain. And that all along, I may have not have had a problem of actually making the serotonin itself.  In all my research  I could not find that they have found a treatment for this problem as of yet.  Is there anything else I can do. This problem is not getting better and trying to function with intense anxiety is making my life difficult. Any suggestion's will help and be tried.  Thanks.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I may be wrong but this combo works for me... I also have GAD and it has gotten worse over the past  2 years as well.  To the point of having actual panic attacks.  I haven't tried any AD's because I'm afraid of side effects.
I take 5-HTP at night (50mg.)  I don't take it for the anxiety tho.  I take it for my "gloomy's".  I get a bit depressed when I don't feel good because of my anxiety.  I get anxiety induced nausea.  The HTP lifted the gloomy's after about a week.
I take ativan for my anxiety. It has worked wonders for me.  I think I'm not only short on serotonin but also GABA.  I tried using a natural GABA but I didn't get much relief.  It was VERY mild and not enough for me and I had to take ALOT of it.
The ativan.... I only take .25mg. 1-2 times a day and sometimes I don't need any on the second day.
Helpful - 0
Namaste,

You state that you have been diagnoised with GAD, however, the medications you mention being treated with are all, for the most parrt SSRI's, which are commonly used to treat depression.

From what you've said, I'm assuming that you're dealing with a GP rather than a psychiatrist.  

Although some amino acids can be helpful adjuncts to treatment with anti-anxiety medications, they in themselves, have minimal effect in surpressing or relieving your anxiety.

I suggest you consult with a qualified mental healthcare worker for a thorough evaluation and a prescription for a medication that is more attuned to the treatment of GAD.

Although some individuals are hesitant to use certain medications for a variety of reasons, I happen to be an advocate for their use, especially when they can drastically improve the quality of a persons' life.

Regardless of what course of action you decide to take, if you choose to see a mental healthcare worker, please understand that results may not be immediate and that it is often a matter of trial and error to find the proper medication or combination thereof. Your treatment plan may also contain adjunct therapy such as "talk" theraphy or "CBT".

I sincerely wish you the best of luck!

Michael(Jikan)
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Anxiety Community