Anxiety Community
23k Members

Anxiety causing IBS symptoms

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I've had anxiety "kick in" as early as 15 years old, I am now 45. I have a perpetual nervous stomach 24/7. I also have history of an extremely anxiety/panic driven mother and sister who both suffer from panic attacks and terrible IBS. I have dealt with depersonalization, panic, fear, and basically gotten all of those under control without the use of medication. Here lies the problem: a year or so ago I've had some issues with IBS and I didn't think much of it, just random episodes of cramping and diarrhea. They've always happened when I was driving home from somewhere, vacation, friends house, etc. Soon after, my brain somehow connected the two, anxiety and IBS, and now I get very nervous when I have to leave the house for fear that I may have an IBS episode. And it's much worse when I have to travel further away from my house. Funny thing is, 9 out of 10 times, after I have let this ruin my day wherever I am, by the time I get on the road to go home, the symptoms seem to disappear. It's horrible and it's all I can think about. I am virtually a prisoner and look at other people wishing I was "back to normal". I have tried home hypnotherapy to no avail. I haven't been back to my gastro in quite some time. I need to break the brain gut link and just do not know where to start. Any help would be appreciated.
Anxiety and IBS go hand in hand.
Anxiety causes IBS, and IBS causes anxiety.
This is true...sorry to tell you that.

Here's what you do...or rather don't do...try not to eat before you go out...and limit what you eat in cafes and such.
Most places use additives which will set the IBS in motion...as well as the grease they use. Don't drink coffee while out, or before you go out.

I used to be exactly like you...never went anywhere in fear that I would have an attack outside of my home.
You need to tell yourself that it isn't going to happen...and so what if it does? I know it's embarrassing to sit in a public washroom and have the person next to you hear you moan from the pain of the cramps...but you know what? Who cares? You will probably never see that person again in your life...so it doesn't matter.
My hubby told me to" think that" every time it happens...and it worked.
I no longer fear going out...unless I've already been to the toilet that day...and then I just don't go out because it's already in progress.

Head over to the IBS community when you have a chance...they can offer you more info, and there are lots of great people over there.
Let's get you some help so that you can move on with your life.
The only other alternative is to put you on medication for the anxiety...but why do that if we can learn how to cope with our IBS?