Anxiety Community
23k Members

Anxiety over the idea of HIV

I have been having major anxiety over the Idea of a risk of having Hiv. A little over 2 months ago Gave a guy oral sex he ejaculate in my mouth I have done a lot of research on the risk of contracting HIV by performing oral sex what I have found Is their is a low risk factor. However the idea that even their being a risk has create me to have panic attacks and a lot of anxiety. After one month of my sexual encounter I contacted the guy and asked him to be tested his test results came back negative then I was tested using rapid testing and my results was negative I also was tested for gonorrhea, chlamydia and hepatitis all of those test came back negative. After 5 weeks I was tested again with a antibody blood test which was negative. Then I finally I was tested at 2 months with PCR testing and I thought that test would finalized the idea that I had a risk for HIV however most sources I have found said it takes three to six months for hiv to show up on test. I am just not sure which sources are correct because from my knowledge PCR testing window is 1-3 weeks and anything past that is the accurate result of weather or not I have the HIV virsus. I also wanted to know should I get medication from my doctor for my anxiety or should I wait first since my anxiety is based on the idea of the possibility of having HIV?
You need to listen to the people on the HIV Prevention Forum.  They are the ones that know all about HIV and the testing period.  You didn't have any risk whatsoever so there really was no need to test.  What you do need though is to seek a therapists help for your HIV anxiety because that is what you are going through.  You need to get a handle on the anxiety if you want to move on with your life and pursue other relationships.  If you did have a real risk, then a test at 3 months that was negative would mean that you are negative.  But since you didn't have a real risk, you need to try to move on and if you can't then seek therapy.  Many people have HIV anxiety so don't think you are alone in this.  Good luck.  
I'm with JGF. You never had a risk and you never needed to be tested.
They ARE coming out with all sorts of new "rapid" tests, but it remains a FACT that to get a 100% CONCLUSIVE result, you must test at 12 weeks post exposure.
It is good you tested for other STDs. Those WILL show up sooner than HIV.

There has never been a documented case of anyone having contracted HIV from oral sex. You probably won't find a doctor anywhere that will say there is absolutely no way you can aquire HIV from oral sex, but they will ALL say the risk is so minute, it might as well be zero.
As JGF said, therapy will help you deal with your obvious HIV anxiety. One other thing that will help is to get yourself educated about HIV and learn exactly what the risks are.

Here are the three (3) ways HIV is contracted........

1) UNPROTECTED INSERTIVE ANAL/VAGINAL SEX WITH AN HIV+ PARTNER

2) SHARING DRUG WORKS, (NEEDLES) WITH AN HIV+ PERSON

3) AN HIV+ MOTHER TO HER UNBORN CHILD

You don't need to get anxiety medication from your doctor. You need to get retested at 3 months, which will be totally conclusive and then you need to get educated and then you need to follow the rules and you will never have to freak out about HIV again........or have to withdraw from a benzo!
Peace
Greenlydia  
Thank you so much for the information I really appreciate it. I have a doctors visit coming up in a few days with a doctor I have not been seen by yet and I am go discuss with her my situation about my anxiety over the risk of having hiv. Do you have any suggestions on what I should say during my vistit?
Just tell her what you told us. Here is some information that you may find calming and if your doctor is not up to date on HER HIV education, she should definitely read this.
You do not have HIV. I promise.
Greenlydia

No incident HIV infections among MSM who practice exclusively oral sex.
Int Conf AIDS 2004 Jul 11-16; 15:(abstract no. WePpC2072)??Balls JE, Evans JL, Dilley J, Osmond D, Shiboski S, Shiboski C, Klausner J, McFarland W, Greenspan D, Page-Shafer K?University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, United States

Oral transmission of HIV, reality or fiction? An update
J Campo1, MA Perea1, J del Romero2, J Cano1, V Hernando2, A Bascones1
Oral Diseases (2006) 12, 219–228

AIDS: Volume 16(17) 22 November 2002 pp 2350-2352
Risk of HIV infection attributable to oral sex among men who have sex with men and in the population of men who have sex with men

Page-Shafer, Kimberlya,b; Shiboski, Caroline Hb; Osmond, Dennis Hc; Dilley, Jamesd; McFarland, Willie; Shiboski, Steve Cc; Klausner, Jeffrey De; Balls, Joycea; Greenspan, Deborahb; Greenspan
Page-Shafer K, Veugelers PJ, Moss AR, Strathdee S, Kaldor JM, van Griensven GJ. Sexual risk behavior and risk factors for HIV-1 seroconversion in homosexual men participating in the Tricontinental Seroconverter Study, 1982-1994 [published erratum appears in Am J Epidemiol 1997 15 Dec; 146(12):1076]. Am J Epidemiol 1997, 146:531-542.

Studies which show the fallacy of relying on anecdotal evidence as opposed to carefully controlled study insofar as HIV transmission risk is concerned:

Jenicek M. "Clinical Case Reporting" in Evidence-Based Medicine. Oxford: Butterworth–Heinemann; 1999:117
Saltzman SP, Stoddard AM, McCusker J, Moon MW, Mayer KH. Reliability of self-reported sexual behavior risk factors for HIV infection in homosexual men. Public Health Rep. 1987 102(6):692–697.Nov–Dec;

Catania JA, Gibson DR, Chitwood DD, Coates TJ. Methodological problems in AIDS behavioral research: influences on measurement error and participation bias in studies of sexual behavior. Psychol Bull. 1990 Nov;108(3):339–362.

There is no debate (among experts) about the HIV risks associated with oral sex. The risk is so low that almost nobody who cares for HIV infected patients has ever had a patient believed to have been infected that way. Among experts, it's a semantic issue about using terms like "no risk" and "very low risk". There is no difference between my or Dr. Hook's use of "low risk" and other experts' "no risk".
DR. HANSFIELD

"And oral sex is basically safe sex -- completely safe with respect to HIV and although not zero risk for other STDs, the chance of infection is far lower than for unprotected vaginal or anal sex. Please educate yourself about the real risks. If you stick with oral sex and condom-protected vaginal or anal sex, you have no HIV worries and very little worry about other STDs. " DR HANSFIELD

"I am sure you can find lots of people who believe that HIV is transmitted by oral sex, but you will not find scientific data to support this unrealistic concern..." DR HOOK

"HIV is not spread by touching, masturbation, oral sex or condom protected sex."- DR. HOOK

in the public HIV Prevention forum of MedHelp, TEAK and the other moderators maintain that oral sex in all forms is a zero risk activity. Would you agree with this assessment?
I TOTALLY AGREE / DR GARCIA
"HIV is not spread by masturbation, through oral sex, through kissing or other casual contact." Dr. Hook
"The observation on thousands and thousands of observations is that HIV is not spread by oral sex (of any sort)." DR HOOK
"I would not say your risk ,if he had HIV is "slim to none"- that's too high.  I would say they are effectively zero.  How much of his ejaculate or other genital  secretions you may have swallowed makes no difference.  EWH "
"As far as HIV is concerned, there is no known risk of getting HIV from performing oral sex on an infected partner, even if that person's genital secretions get into your eyes or if you swallow." Dr.Hook