Anxiety Community

Anxiety/panic attacks the day after drinking

This isn't really a question, it's more or less a walkthrough of what I am going through with anxiety problems and alcoholism in hopes that it might help someone out there. Had I read online about how common anxiety attacks after a night of drinking are, maybe I could have started my road to recovery sooner, and maybe some of you can.

Anyways, I am a 25-year old college student (receiving my 2nd BA tomorrow actually :D) who had never experienced anything related to anxiety or panic attacks ever in my life. I've always been a laid back, easy-going individual. Last May, after a weekend of beer pong and partying, I woke up on the following Monday and instantly felt dizzy and out of breath, like I was going to pass out or fall over. I didn't know what it was. I thought maybe I had hit my head during the previous weekend's festivities. A couple days later I still had a dizzy feeling so I had my ladyfriend drive me to the ER for fear of having post-concussion syndrome or something. They gave me something for my nerves (Loreazapam maybe?) and did a catscan and everything was A-OK. I had no idea why I was feeling like this, but I finally told my mom about it and she googled it and thought maybe I was having some panic attacks. Over the next couple of months during the Summer, my roommates and I's drinking continued, and so did my anxiety issues (always the day after going out). At first I tried blaming them on stress or my girl or anything else besides drinking. I didn't want to think for ONE SECOND that my favorite past-time (drinking and being social with the wonderful people in my life) was actually the crux of my least favorite past-time (anxiety attacks.)  

Before I had my first one last May, I had heard of people having anxiety problems (my ex-girlfriends mom took meds for them) but just scoffed at people actually having to take medications to control their thoughts. What pish-posh I thought to myself. Well, after 1 year of having these #$%^[email protected] panic attacks, it's not pish-posh anymore. I have finally come to terms with the fact that it IS my drinking that is causing these (and smoking a pack of marlboro lights on the weekends in the bars does not help!!!!)  I don't even really get typical hangovers anymore like I used to, well maybe I do, but they are being over-shadowed by the PURE AGONY of the anxiety attacks. Sometimes they go on for the whole day. There are several different reasons about why people have panic attacks, hypoglycemia is one, but I have finally realized that it is my drinking style. Thank God I'm getting out of college so I won't feel the need to go out and get belligerent drunk with my buddies anymore. I know that being in college is no excuse, but hey, it's fun!!!

All this being said, I am working on curing myself. I have always been a type of person who needs to be in control of my own life/mind/health and this anxiety **** has got to stop!!!! I am going to start taking daily doses of St. John's Wort and B complex, to see if that helps. I am also going to get back into my workout routine once my job starts in a couple of weeks. I know that an active lifestyle will help me on the road to recovery, as well as those supplements. But I am starting to realize the #1 thing that will cure these attacks is to stop drinking. Every time I have one of these day-long attacks, I swear to myself that I'm done drinking. But the truth of the matter, is that after a few days, I feel my equilibrium has returned to a pretty awesome level, and I forget about how the major anxiety attack I just had a few days ago made my life complete hell. That's how **** works. Out of sight, out of mind. If I don't have one for a few days, I start thinking I'm invincible again, and we go party. I need to grow up and realize that there is a cure to feeling this PURE AGONY! And it's in the form of alcohol abstinence. It's going to suck and I'm sure I'm gonna miss the bars. But I will not miss these anxiety attacks.

I will keep my progress updated on this forum, because I now know that there are TONS of people out there who are suffering through the same problems that I am currently faced with. We all know the cure, deep down, we just don't want to accept it. To those reading this, hopefully I have calmed you down a little. I know it's hard. It sucks. It's hell on earth, in your brain, and it feels like there is no way out. There is. I think. So I'm going to try the B complex and the SJW and try to keep the drinking and smoking under extreme control.

Peace and love and freedom of YOUR MIND.
Take care,
C
I guess I wanted to discuss my issues a little more, in hopes that I will get some feedback from any of you individuals out there (whether you are suffering from anxiety or if you're just a curious web-surfer). I have been looking online for cures to this and have learned that there is no "magic phrase" that you can tell yourself to calm down. I have tried a lot of the home remedies that most of the forums suggest, but none of them work. I'm talking about deep-diaphram breathing. I'm talking about telling yourself that you're ok and it will pass. I'm talking about laying flat on your back and just trying to chill out. I've tried reading. Nothing works. Even if the anxiety is in the back of my mind, it's still in there, waiting to creep out and make my life hell for the rest of the day.

There is no magic or mystery of why I feel like this and why lots of other people have anxiety issues after a night of less than healthy drinking. It is the plain and simple fact that my drinking habits are starting to take a toll on my physical and mental health. And that is something that I don't want to live with. I want to be healthy and happy. I want to know deep-down that I am going to have a fulfilling life and that nothing bad is going to happen to me that could have been prevented. I know that many of you out there want the same thing. If quitting heavy drinking seems too daunting right off the get-go, try to stop smoking at first. Take it one step at a time. I've read that smoking raises blood pressure and therefore exacerbates anxiety/stress, so it's a no-brainer that the social-smoking needs to stop. I also read that it's a good idea to cut out caffeine (no more Diet Mt. Dew  *cry *throwfit *repeat).

So if you are reading this looking for how to stop anxiety and panic attacks after a night of drinking, the simple answer is to STOP drinking. If you want an alternative solution, one that doesn't involve alcohol abstinence or mind-enslaving medications, continue to read about how I am going to try combating this terrible, terrible condition.

1) Stop smoking cigarettes (they taste like **** and you wake up in the morning feeling like a bobcat pooped in your mouth)
2) Start taking daily supplements of B-complex and St. John's Wort. (A mutivitamin is probably a no-brainer)
3) Get into a more active routine like working out 3 times a week or going on jogs. Being physically active works wonders for the mind. I don't know what it is, but being active gives me this feeling that is just plain good. I imagine this feeling will help keep anxiety at bay.
4) Go to websites and forums such as this one and read about what other people are going through and inform yourself on what may or may not be causing your situation. Try different solutions until one works. I can't imagine that any of the proposed solutions will have any negative impacts on you. (Except maybe prescription medications)
5) Let yourself go and just accept the fact that you are having an anxiety issue. Don't sweat it. You have had them before, and you didn't die, so you aren't going to die now. Relax. Life is good. It may not seem like it's good now, but you know that deep-down, life is AWESOME and it makes you smile a little bit knowing that you will once again believe that. Little self-pep-talks like that should help a little. Like I said before, there is no magic phrase to alleviate this ****. But maybe this type of positive thinking will help some people. It is helping me a little bit by typing it, so maybe it can help you.
6) Cut caffeine out of your daily routine. I imagine this is going to be VERY difficult for a lot of people. People need their morning coffee, their afternoon soda, or evening "whatever people drink in the evening". But caffeine obviously is a stimulant, therefore it probably does nothing but enhance your feelings of anxiety and impending doom.
7) Be open and honest with those close to you about your problems. Don't be afraid of what you're going through and don't be afraid to tell a loved one what you're going through. Chances are, that anyone you tell with be sympathetic with you and maybe even try to help you themselves. Granted, you really have had to experience a panic attack before you can begin to help someone else through them. I truly had NO clue about anything related to anxiety until I had my first attack. All I can say is "wow, they really suck". Talking to people has helped me somewhat. If it's the day after a night on the town and I feel edgy and anxious and like there's a bomb ticking in my brain, it helps a little to actually tell people that you feel like ****. Something as simple as a "man, these anxiety attacks are so fun, I don't know what I'd do with myself if I didn't have them", will hopefully put your mind a little more at ease if you're around other people. There are certain people in your life who will just naturally calm you down by being around them, and there are others who will just annoy the **** out of you and make your panic attacks worse (find the latter group of people and stay away from them when you're having an episode). But I guess it just all depends on the day. Some days when I have them I want to be around my girlfriend and I feel a little safer. Other days I want to go buy a crowbar from the Ace Hardware down the street. haha totally kidding, but you know what I mean (yap yap yap yap). Don't be afraid to be honest with your condition, they are common. Hell, maybe even one of your closest friends has been going through the SAME thing without you knowing. Maybe you can both get on the same page and work with each other to fight this awful plague of mankind. :)
8) Drink lots of water. Drinking heavily dehydrates you to begin with, so if you can take dehydration out of the equation, that is one less thing you will have to go through and will take a load of stress off your body. (Wow, I'm trying to sound like a Doctor, even though I'm NOT. 100% Network Technician here :) )   So yeah, drink water like you drank beer the night before and you should be able to stay pretty hydrated.
9) Don't use any type of illicit drugs. I have not had any experiences with cocaine or marijuana in like a year and a half, but I can't imagine that using that stuff while going through anxiety issues is even close to what you're gonna want to be doing. No brainer.
10) Stop drinking strong spirits. I read this on a different site and must be honest when I say I have no idea what a strong spirit is. I'm guessing it's like 80-proof booze that tastes so delicious with Coke. So cut out the Whiskey/Diets or Appletinis. Stick with light beer (if you must drink.)
11) Reply to this post with your own story or questions.

Well, I am going to stop rambling now. I really hope this has helped some of you. If there is anything more that anyone wants to know, don't hesitate to ask. I'm pretty open with my experiences and I will be even more so if it can help others. If you take nothing away from this post or if none of those 11 things have helped you, then I guess all I can say is that everything is fine and life is great. Yeah, it sucks now, but it will pass. And you know it will. You have just trained yourself to think like this. You have trained yourself to have anxiety attacks the day after drinking. You were so scared for your life of getting them when you started, that you slowly developed a compulsion to think like that, to let your heart race and your mind go out of control. But you are in control, and you always were. Give it time. Get some professional help if nothing else.

Later all.
:)
C
Ok so sorry if I seem like a total wad, but I am really enjoying the thought that I might be able to help just 1 other person. Then my work is complete. :) So, to add a couple more possible helpful hints in dealing with anxiety attacks, music might be one of them. Listen to music that calms you down. Stay away from your Pantera albums. (Unless you find if very inspiring.) One song in particular that is just b-e-a-yootiful is a song of the soundtrack for the movie Gladiator. I'm not sure what it's called but it's by Hans Zimmer with Lisa Gerrard singing. It's incredible. One sec, I'm gonna google it to get the actual name.....oh, duh...it's called Now We Are Free. (be sure to acquire this song LEGALLY) :)

Close your eyes, listen to it, and let me know what you think.

C
Its all about the booze, cowboy. Do what you want with vitamins and SJW and anything else, but, at the end of the day, its all about the alcohol. Strong spirits? Spare me. Alcohol is alcohol. Whether gulping 3 martinis or chugging 12 beers in an hour, it is the alcohol in whatever form you take it that works the "magic."

So, to put another arrow in your quivver, consider going to some AA meetings and getting on a program.

I appreciate all the work you have put into your messages and wish you the very best.

My daughter's pdoc also said that since alcohol is a depressant you have to watch that too.  She says that the depressant effect hits about 3 days after drinking so sometimes people don't make that association with their depressed feeling.  Sucks huh!
I can see where ur coming from man, Im 22 and loved to party, until I started having panic/anxiety attacks.  Ive cut down on the drinking a lot, but thinking I was fine drank the last few weekends.  Wasnt smart been waking up in the middle of the night again and last night I was having aching pains in my arms.  I definately think you should take it easy on the boozin, I was supposed to go out partyin tontie but I will pass on that now after I didnt get any sleep last night.
I got hammered last night for the first time in a while and my anxiety is bad today.
hi!  i really want to thank you for your message(s).  i am a 22 year old female.  i drank pretty heavily thursday night, had a terrible panic attack yesterday, and i am still feeling major anxiety today.  i'm just hoping it will go away soon.  i've been drinking A LOT of water, and i took a nice, relaxing bath.  taking slow, deep breaths helped a lot too.  i'm gonna go to the doctor later to see if i can get something to help keep me calm, but i tell you one thing...i am NOT drinking like that again.  really, i wouldn't mind if i never have a drink ever again.  it's not worth feeling this way.  i have said that i'm never drinking again after a crappy hangover, but this has gone too far.  it's great to see that someone knows what i'm going through...for a while i felt like i was the only one that was going through this.  i know now that it's just the alcohol, and i know what i need to do about it.  thanks again!  have a great day!  :o)

- lindsay
This is a direct cut and paste of my response to someone from a very similar thread.  Take it for what it's worth:

"Anxiety is such an awful feeling that it's difficult for me to understand how anyone can deliberately go BACK to a trigger that would cause a full week of it.  I noticed the exact same thing early on when my anxiety phases began and today I have a 1 glass of wine or 2 beer limit.  On most days it's zero.  Anxiety *****.  I do what you can to avoid it.  If you're not sure if you're addicted to alcohol, there's  a good forum for it right here on medhelp.  Go talk to people.  Get educated.

Good Luck "
Haha, I know the exact song you're talking about. It is sooo chill. But man, as I was sitting here reading this, I just was struck at how similar our situations are. You made your first post about a month before I joined the site, but I was going through the same thing at the exact same time.

I have drank heavily daily for a year or so, but due to some stressful situations, I began drinking a lot more in the last few months. One of my roommates was no longer going to be able to live with us, and I was really upset about it. Long story short, the increased drinking led to increased anxiety, increased anxiety made me drink even more to calm down. You know the rest. After a few terrible panic attacks I joined this site and looked for help.

I tried taking Zoloft but found I reacted terribly to it, and then when a different doctor wanted me to try Paxil I realized I probably didn't even need medication at all. Drinking was the only real problem. I've been going through ups and downs as I've tried to cut back and limit my drinking. And I have hit a wall a couple times. However, I have made improvements. I only drank 4 days in the last week instead of all 7. One of those nights was particularly terrible, and I woke up puking. After that I decided that even cutting down the nights I drank wasn't enough, I probably needed to straight up quit.

I came home from college to spend this difficult time with my family. Right now, It's been about 36 hours since my last drink. I'm feeling okay, tonight will probably suck worse than last night due to trouble sleeping sober, but I imagine I'll feel even better tomorrow morning if I keep staying sober. One thing about alcohol is, it seems like an impossible cycle to break. You drink due to anxiety. The next day anxiety is worse because of the hangover, so you drink to get over that. But then if you want to quit, you also have terrible anxiety. After a few days sober, you are so anxious that drinking seems like the only solution, and so on. I think that making it past those first few vital days is really important. And I really think that guys like us will be able to do it, because we want to change so badly. St. Johns Wort is a great idea, I took it for a year or so and it helped me a ton (the only reason I stopped is because of the doctor wanting me to try zoloft instead.) In fact, I'll probably start taking it again.

Sorry if I hijacked your thread, I just wanted to relate how much I know how you feel. I have only a very slight history of anxiety in my life, and it was only after drinking uncontrollably that it became a problem. You seem to be in the same boat. I see you haven't made a post since May 10th, 2 months ago, so I really would like to hear how you are doing.
Sounds like you guys have it under control, knowing is half the battle though I remeber the first few times when I had no clue what was happening to me and not knowing is the worst feeling, Another thing that happens to is I cant sleep the next day causing me to stay up and restless, all I keep telling myself is it will all get better soon.
Hey Worried826, I saw your post on the 10th of May, don't sweat it dude the great thing about anxiety ( if there is anything ) is how much better you feel when is gone, that overwhelming sensation is lifted and then is all smooth sailing. Boozing donesn't seem to help me if I have anxiety because I only get it after hitting the sauce, but the feelings are the same, Nausea, Headaches,and Dehydration on top of the anxiety really doesn't help but the way I see it you begin to deal with it slowly and before you know it you are out in the clear, hang on dude, there is nothing to be worried about.
What is the correlation between drinking and anxiety? I went out on Saturday night and stayed out until 2am, drank 3 drinks (Schnapps/ orange juice) and danced. It is Wednesday and I still feel like ****, my whole body hurts, I am dizzy, I am extremely tired, like I cannot put 1 foot in front of the other. Is this all still from the alchohol? I don't drink very often, maybe a couple times per year, nor do I stay out this late
I have recently been surfing the net on this subject. I have been suffering from these "anxiety overs" for about a year now. I am a 26 year old male. It looks like this is  common in about 1 and 10 males about 20-40 yrs. old.

I only drink one to three times a month as I have done for the past 3 years since quitting some harder drugs. Anyways I still get these "anxiety overs" and yes a few days later I feel fine. I don't even get headaches or nausea just ludicrous thoughts and feelings of panic. HORRIBLE. You wonder why you do this to yourself but do it again.  

I've tried going for walks, vitamins, water, relaxation techniques, quit smoking and caffeine for the last 8 months you name it, nothings worked. I choose not to take medication as a fear of becoming dependant. I do not want to give up social drinking on special occasions. I do not feel I have a drinking problem as I have been addicted to other substances in the past. I drink when I want to, sometiomes I go out and not drink at all.

The one thing that takes the edge off is a hard work out. Although it is very difficult to motivate yourself to go to the gym on a hangover. I guess I was on here lookibng for an all natural cure. I'm going to get tested for hypoglycemia and then go from there. I know that it is the alcohol causing the anxiety but I'm clinging to the hope that there is a medical explanation. I'm sure some of you casual drinkers out there are clinging to that hope as well.  I guess I should've quit the booze with the drugs. If I have to I will.

As for those trying to quit alcohol. All the power to you. I detoxed and went to drug treatment with several alcoholics. I've seen their pain and their success. Hang in there.
I'm no doctor but 3 drinks for a casual drinker shouldn't make you feel that badly for 4 days. Everyone's bodies are different. It might not hurt to go to your doctor find out if you have any allergies to what you were drinking.

In an answer to your question alcohol is a deppressant and over indulging results in a hang over. Your body is trying to break down toxins while being dehydrated, your blood sugar plummets and your body starts releasing adrenaline giving you that fight or flight sensation. Some of us get it so bad that we have panic attacks and begin to tell ourselves we are going crazy.

I hope this helps a little.  
i have only read the first 2 posts as im at work but id like to say bvjens31 thanks very much for that. You sound just like me. This stuff really helps. Ill post back in the next couple of days when i can.
my anxiety is sky high after a night of drinking, but i love drinking ahhhhhh dont get me wrong i dont have a problem its jus when i drink all my anxiety symptoms jus disappear but i suffer the day after so im tryin cut down on my beer intake, i find if you are gonna drink make sure you eat something and get a decent nights sleep, then plenty of water the day after, it is cruel how people have to stop what they enjoy doing cause of anxiety, dont get me wrong im not promoting alcohol but its unfair when you have to give up things cause of anxiety.
also too jess i think you could be allergic to, 3 drinks aint a lot on a night out, my friend reacts badly to alcohol especially spirits or alco pops she has hangovers from hell but not as bad as yours!!!!!
I had my 1st anxiety attack after drinking. It scared the ***** out of me. I really hate the fact that alcohol brings on anxiety. I am a social drinker, and when I go out with my friends, I want to be able to have a drink with them!!! But I am really scared to drink again been almost a month since I have had a drink......not even a glass of wine! This has severely damaged my social life. But I guess It is what it is, and we have to deal with it. And what with the vitamins everyone keeps talking about??
I thnk my depressin kick in because I know that I have to deal with this world in my right mind. Depekote made me feel drunk and it gave me liver pains, and so I started drinking and feeling the same way the depekoter made me feel, but without the liver pains or side affects.

Bottom line, if it wasn't for the liquor i'd be in prison for assult and possibly murder. I'm like a time bomb; i don't take sht. I had to scare on guy into dropping the charges, and then they look at me crazy cuz I still come around, even with a restraining order..pshh..what the hell is goin on, I cant stop it...somebody is gonna  have to kill me.

So Liquor is my peace maker, untill I find the way out of this maze.
and stay away from the alcohols made with the greater amounts of sugar...drink the nasty stuff if ur gonna drink
Not to freak you guys out, but my story is identical to yours.... i had my first panic attack after a big day of drinking ( i've been partying hard for like 8 years , various drugs etc). And it continued like that, id go out and binge every weekend, then have a day long panic the next day, etc etc...

then i made the association that the alcohol is causing this, and now it's hard to even go out and have a couple beers.

so i stopped drinking entirely ( has been for a month and a half now)... but the anxiety keeps getting worse and worse and worse. Almost entirely debilitating now, and i've cutout all drugs and what not too.

it truley is horrible, i'm thinking about maybe trying out an anti depressant as i've been dealing with this hell for like a year and used to be the most normal chilled person ever.  

good luck, i wish i knew what to do for mine :( it has changed me terribly
Hey everyone! I just thought I'd shoot a quick message out to fill you all in on my condition and what not. I hope all of you that were/are going through similar situations are working on getting better!!

I guess the reason I hopped on here tonight was because I sent this link to my sister. She's 23 and just got engaged a couple months ago, but she also started getting anxiety attacks about 3-4 months ago. At first she didn't know what they were, just like I didn't know when I had my initial episodes. She tried blaming it on birth control or hormones or anything else but drinking. I think she is finally starting to accept the fact that it IS drinking that is causing her pain, I'm just glad she is realizing it now, unlike my stubborn ***, who didn't want to admit it until a year had passed. So hopefully this thread can help her out a little too. Who knows, maybe she'll even write. :)

As far as my situation, I am doing MUCH better. Like I said earlier, I finally graduated college and moved out of the college town and am now living in Iowa's superb capital. Work is going awesome and I bought a Boston Terrier pup about 5 weeks ago. My binge-drinking has all but stopped. Since graduating about 3 months ago, I would say that I have gotten hammered maybe 4 or 5 times (which is incredible considering how long and how often I drank during my 7 years of college). But even though I have gotten hammered those few times, I really don't think I had an 'episode' at all. There were days after drinking where I would feel anxious and my head wouldn't be 100% right, but I never lost control or freaked out like I used to. I don't know if it's my subconscious recognizing anxiety better and therefore calming down a bit. I'm not sure how I have gotten better. I haven't started working out like I said I was going to O.o, but I have incorporated a healthy amount of water into my daily life. Dehydration can be a major cause of anxiety-related feelings, so by nipping that in the butt right away, I think it has helped a lot. If I do go out and get hammered, I make sure to pound some water before bed, and pound a lot more as soon as I wake up. That seems to keep the attacks at bay. I really don't take the B-complex or SJW anymore, as once my alcohol dependency started to fade out of my reality, my mental health started noticing those benefits without taking any pills and started doing better on its own.

I wish I had a sure-fire answer as to how I've gotten better. Maybe it's because I've gone from getting HAMMERED 2-4 nights a week for 7 years straight, to only getting hammered 1-2 times a month for the past 3 months. I'll even go through about a 6 pack every week or two by having a beer with dinner now and then. That has made me feel better about my situation too....that I can have just ONE beer with supper and not feel any need whatsoever to have another one. So I think I've convinced myself that I'm not an 'alcoholic' per se, I just have really ****** reactions to alcohol when I drink too much of it too often. I also think that un-training your mind is a successful step towards getting better. Like I mentioned previously, I am a believer that we can actually train our minds into having more panic attacks than we normally otherwise would. I used to be so scared of getting them, that any little change in my condition during the day would set off an attack. But by taking it slow, I think I've untrained my mind. When I started my job a few months ago, I would have a beer or 2 with supper a few times a week. And upon waking up and feeling fine, I would coach myself "see, you can have a drink or two with supper and wake up feeling great...". After enough of those nights and enough of those coaching sessions, I started to realize that I can drink and wake up feeling fine, AS LONG AS I drank with restraint. And as far as going out on the weekends and getting hammered, I no longer tip-toe around the fact that I am going to feel like **** the next day. I am not scared anymore. I say to myself "I've worked hard the past couple of weeks, and we are going to go out tonight for some drinks and have a good time. I am going to get drunk and have fun and I am probably going to have anxiety tomorrow, but it's ok because I deserve to go out and get hammered a couple times a month. And if my anxiety is going to try and tell me what I do and do not deserve, than to hell with it!!"

I have a lot more confidence with myself now than I had during that whole year of anxiety issues. I know that I'm not some invincible hero that can go out all the time and not pay the price, but confident enough to know that I should be able to go out twice a month and have fun without having to worry about anxiety ruining the rest of the weekend. I have stayed away from caffeine (morning coffee wreaked HAVOC with my morning commute and anxiety) and I've been drinking water like a fish.....and I've been great. Terrific. I feel that I have some purpose with my job and now that I've got a little puppy to look after, my lifestyle is definitely more calm than it used to be. Rather than sitting around thinking about anxiety, I can put my mind to him and watching him grow and have fun and chew on my girlfriend's underwear. :)

I hope all of you continue to use this website for seeking help or dishing out advice where needed. It takes a special kind of person to be able to live with this type of agony and lend a hand out to those in need that are going through the same thing. You are all special people in my book. I hope you all start gaining back some confidence in order that you can untrain your mind and take back the control that is rightfully yours.

Peace and love.
C
First off, Male, 25, drink 3-4 times a month

Didn't really notice this was always after drinking, but now that I think about it, it is.  I would try to sleep the day after drinkin with the guys and would have weird panic attacks.  As I would fall asleep I would wake up with my heart beating out of my chest and the feeling I might pass out (Ironic I know, i was trying to sleep, but it was in a bad way).

Now that I know what it is, think its time to cut down on the drinking.

Thanks to the poster for the info.  WOuld love to hear from a Doc on why and how this happens, but prolly wont on here just because of the lawsuits and what now (ugh).

Anyway, thanks again
This is a lot of good info.  It makes me feel less alone to know there are others out there.  I'm wondering if the anxiety is caused specifically by the alcohol, though.  I think there are other factors out there as well.  For myself, especially, a lot of my anxiety is based on what I did the night while I was hammered.  I say and do things that are not me while hammered and then spend the next several days soaked in anxiety from what I know I did or the parts that I was totally blacked out.  I do believe that it is all connected:  Amy I a happy person?  Why did I act that way?  Why do I drink if I know that I will act that way?  Why do I drink if I know I will feel this bad.  If you ask me, it's not worth it, but easier to continue that type of behavior rather than exploring new healthier ways to have fun (physically and mentally).  I think that we can all agree that we have to change our lifestyle in order to make any type of progress.  It's not going to happen for us.
and btw-
i know for a fact, at least for myself, that changing the lifestyle helps.  right now i'm having total anxiety attacks.  it *****.  i've been here before, and my only friend is time.  i know in a few days i will feel better.  i've gone several months without drinking and can really tell a difference: i sleep better, i eat better, i exercise more, i'm more alert, etc.  I get to feeling  SO good in fact, that I talk myself in to "downplaying" these anxiety attacks.  I brush them off as if they are no big deal.  In reality, I've just forgotten how big of deal they actually are.  Besides the physical issues of being hungover, and the anxiety attacks that make me feel like I'm dying and afraid to leave my house, I also feel a general depression....a feeling that even after knowing better I once again made a decision to let myself down.