Aa
A
A
A
Close
Anxiety Community
23k Members

Anxiety/self conscious

Hi everyone! So I have had pretty bad anxiety/depression for years now. I have noticed through out my life, that because I have always been so focused on the anxiety 24/7, and how to fix it or make myself feel better, that I am not quite as worldly/factual as other people. I find that this makes it very difficult to just normally converse with new people in my life, because I feel like the topic I know the most about is anxiety. Obviously that is not the only thing I am capable of talking about, but I just feel so behind on normal topics that other people interpret and remember so well. I was just curious if anyone else experiences this? I am 23 years old, and this is just a huge struggle for me right now. I would just like to be normal for once and be able to focus and learn like so many other people are able to do! I am tired of always being so focused on the anxiety or in an anxious state. And I have tried medications, etc, so I do know how to help myself. But I feel like with anxiety, it is semi genetic, so even when the anxiety is under control, we will still be semi anxious/over aware people. I guess I mainly just would appreciate reassurance that I am not the only one who feels this way. Thank you in advance!!
2 Responses
Hey! I'm sure many others feel the same... One way you could lessen the anxiety about not knowing current events and stuff is to dedicate a small portion of time each day to learning something new... Even if its just reading a newspaper... Hang in there!
6456238 tn?1384753680
It does make sense that anxiety is the number one thing to focus on because it's the issue that is effecting your life the most. Are you in therapy? I find that it helps because you can put your time & energy into talking about it during your sessions leaving your other time free for what ever your interests are. I have OCD so I use my therapy time to talk about what is bothering me. If something is really bothering me I talk to my sister or my friend. They both know that I have OCD & need to get what ever it is out but I have learned how to control this with the therapy & meds
Have an Answer?
Top Anxiety Answerers
Arlington, VA
370181 tn?1428180348
Arlington, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out what can trigger a panic attack – and what to do if you have one.
A guide to 10 common phobias.
Take control of tension today.
These simple pick-me-ups squash stress.
Don’t let the winter chill send your smile into deep hibernation. Try these 10 mood-boosting tips to get your happy back
Want to wake up rested and refreshed?