Anxiety Community
23k Members

Anxiety

I am not sure what is going on with me, but for 3 days when I have gone out to public places, like today the BMV I was OK sitting there waiting until they called my number, I went up to the desk and couldn't talk and froze and had to run out of the place, I was sweating and just totally freaking  out... It started 2 days when we went out to eat, I was almost done and out of nowhere I started feeling weird and couldn't talk and ran out that time too, I thought I was going to have a seizure but didn't the feeling went away, and has only come back when I have to be 1 on 1 out in public with a lot of people around, I am really scared something is wrong with me and don't want to go out to stores or anywhere, I will go out but just wait in the car, because I am scared it will happen again, I don't know what to do please help
Is this the first time ever experiencing this? Do you have a history of anxiety at all? Has something happened in your life recently that could possibly trigger anxiety? The best thing you can do is get into your doctor. Get them to test for any possible medical causes and then if they feel its anxiety they can go from there. My anxiety began in a very similar manner and I remember how scary it was. So I really hope that you are able to see your doctor soon. You will find lots of support and advice in here so stick around. Please keep us updated
Yes it's the first time I have had that experience, but I have had anxiety and was being treated for it in the past and not taking anything for that right now. I almost totally freaked out and felt like I was going to pass out, I have never had that happen with anxiety before, it happened out of the blue, I am being treated for bipolar and depression, I take lithium 300 m.g. and Risperdal 1 m.g. and was fine until 3 days ago. when it happens my head tilted to the side and started to shake a little, and had leave where I was... I thought maybe drinking caffeine with the lithium was causing that to happen. Anyway so how do you go out to places without that happening, I just want to stay in the house where I know it won't happen, and am scared to go to the hospital where I will have to talk and won't be able too, this is so crazy
It sounds like a panic attack, but you need to address this with your doctor to determine if it was and what can be done.  Panic attacks often happen in open, public places and as a result, we stop going out for fear of having another one which is Agoraphobia.  There is medication to control these, so talking with your doctor is imperative at this point.  They won't hurt you, just scare the daylights out of you!  It is actually a normal response coming at the wrong time.  When we are in a dangerous situation our "fight or flight" mode kicks in, flooding our bodies with adrenaline so we can protect ourselves. Since we aren't in a dangerous situation all this adrenaline has nothing to work on and it results in dizziness, rapid heart beat, fear, etc. Talk to your doctor about this, these are difficult to beat on our own and thank goodness there is medication to control them!  I hope this helps and take care!
Thanks mammo, but can this have a sudden onset??? Before 3 days ago I had no problems going out at all. What would cause this out of nowhere??? I would rather call the doctor then go to the hospital for fear that this will happen again
Yes panic attacks can have a very sudden onset. It usually does come out of nowhere. Give your doctor a call and try really hard not to think about it as it will likely cause more anxiety and lead to another attack
O.k I know I need to call my doctor, I am just worried he will say to double the lithium again, the last time I had really bad anxiety that's what he said ( 2 weeks ago ) and this is where I am now, and I am trying really hard not to think about it, but I also am not trying to go out anywhere my fiance got really upset with the incident at the bmv. He basically thinks its crazy what happened and said he has never known anyone that has acted like that, I told him it scared me too and it wasn't something I can control....
Well  make sure you tell him that its not as simple as doubling your medication, that you want him to talk about other options as well and its affecting your daily life. Be firm and make him listen to you
My husband is a big, burly "manly" fellow, and he began having panic attacks "out of the blue", and they scared him to death.  He learned to deal with them without using medication, as he is a truck driver, and many of the medications used to treat panic attacks are ones that commercial drivers can't be on.

This is nothing to be ashamed of, and it's nothing that's your fault.  My husband found out that Splenda will increase the frequency of his, and we've read that others have this problem, too.  (I'm not saying that everone's panic attacks are a result of Splenda, I'm just mentioning it in case it would help you or someone else.

If you'd like more information on what helped my husband, just post here again, and I'll briefly go through what helped him.  (It was an online e-book, but I don't think I have the website anymore, but I can sure tell you the main points of the "program" that helped him.  Best of luck to you!
Hi Ally.
I would definitely talk to the doctor about side effects of an increased doseage of lithium and even Risperdal.  Sometimes, medications can cause a side effect of trembling and so forth, but only your doctor whether you were having a panic attack or if something else physical is going on.  Maybe let him know that you are concerned about some symptoms you've been having that are inconsistent with the anxiety you've experienced in the past.  But, as Alison, mammo, and kimliz said, it is not uncommon for anxiety attacks/panic attacks to just start out of seemingly nowhere.  Mine did.  In my opinion, that's part of what makes them so scary!  You can't explain why that happened.  It never happened before, but you sure as heck don't want it to happen again.  It makes sense to think that if you avoid where it happens, then it won't happen.  The only problem is anxiety isn't logical.  The more you avoid, the worse it gets.  Believe me.  So, you can't avoid because in reality it makes it worse.  But please, do seek some information from your doctor before you brush it off as anxiety.  It could be something as simple as a reaction to your medication.  I'm not sure.  Please let us know what your doctor says, and in the mean time feel free to join in here.  This is a great place for support.  Jen
I just got a call from the drs. office today, and he said to double the risperdal, that it was a anxiety attack, I explained to the lady that called ( not the Dr. himself ) that I thought that it was a reaction to the lithium and I never had anxiety happen that way. I have had severe anxiety for years, but never had trouble going to public until 3 days ago. The dr wanted to see me sooner, but I can't pay for the appointment until the scheduled day to go, February 8th, so he just said if I need to take one during the day ( the risperdal ) for anxiety I could, but to keep taking the medicine and call back if there is anymore problems. I still think it is medicine related but am going to try what he said to do... My brother who is also on Lithium said caffeine can cause issues with the meds. I do drink a lot of pop and coffee in the morning and maybe that is having a problem mixed with the meds, I didn't drink any yesterday and still had the attack. I just want to know why all of the sudden I have anxiety in public when I have to talk to someone 1 to 1 its so weird to me. My fiance got so angry yesterday at BMV and started yelling at me and tried to force me to go back inside, like I could control what was going on, or wanted that to happen, I started crying outside the door and couldn't control it, it was so embarrassing, he told me that he didn't know who I was and that it wasn't me, he said he looked at me and didn't know who I was. It was so hurtful I had a complete breakdown when we got home, because that isn't me, and I hate not being able to control what happened and trying to explain what was wrong with me, when I don't even know. We have been together for 14 months, and my mental has declined to it'd worst in the last 1 to 2 months, I don't know what else to do but post on here, I can't talk to him because he doesn't understand, and acts like he's isn't interested... I don't know what to do
Ally,

Was this a side of your fiancee you'd never seen before?  Is he ususally quick to anger?  I know my husband is.  And it can get pretty ugly.  God, I hate talking about this, but I want you to know that you are not alone if you are in a similar situation as I am.  My husband is a passionate man.  He feels everything strongly.  Joy, love, passion, anger, jealousy, insecurity -- all of it.  I love him very much, we have been married for 10 years, but I swear he drives me crazy and makes my anxiety worse.  He is so high strung and I never know what will set him off.  I'm afraid of going to the grocery store because of several things actually, but one of them being that I know when I get home I KNOW no matter how much I've followed the list that HE MADE OUT, I will get yelled at, badly.  I either will have bought the wrong food or been gone too long or spent to much money (even if I stay within the budget he originally gave me).  About a year ago, I told him I didn't care if we all starved, I was never ever going grocery shopping again.  NEVER.  It was a no win situation for me.   And I chose not to play.  And I still don't to this day.  He works, I don't.  I have more time to go to the store.  I'm a better shopper economically.  We both know this, and still I refuse.  If I'm having anxiety or PA, he rolls his eyes and watches TV.  If I tell him I'm terrified of something, he rolls his eyes and tells me to "stop being ridiculous".  Now, I had to make a choice and a decision that I could stay with all the ramifications that brought to me or I could choose not to be in that relationship.  Obviously I chose to stay, and thus I must get my support elsewhere.  Is this what your fiancee is like?
    Anxiety doesn't make sense. It just doesn't.  I know, believe me I know, how helpless it leaves you feeling.  But, you are among friends here who understand.  Take good care.  Jen
  Hi, I know anxiety doesn't make any sense at all, and my fiance has never been quick to anger ever, I think he was frustrated because we waited all that time at the bmv for me just run out of there. And he was trying to get my Id made without me having to go inside and the lady wouldn't allow it, I had to take my picture and you can't do it outside of the place. After that he was angry, but since that happened he has not tried to make me go into any places, and actually said he knows the routine ( I was waiting in the car ) As of yesterday I went into Walgreens without any problems and went up to the register but only stood there while he paid, I didn't have contact with anyone and was standing off to the side, so that is a step up from the other day at least. There wasn't anyone in the store either so that made all the difference, low anxiety, it was strange how it even started, being that I never had that problem before. My fiance is very supportive and is frustrated because he has never dealt with mental illness in this way. I haven't either for that matter, things are happening that I never expect. I don't work either, and am trying to get disability but doubt that it will happen, I have been denied twice before 3 years ago, but diagnoses has changed since then too. So all in all I think he is just learning how to deal with the whole thing, also as for your husband I think its unfair to be quick to anger, when dealing with someone elses illness, and you deserve understanding, maybe he just doesn't understand what's going on with you, anyway I wish you luck with everything.....