Anxiety Community
23k Members

Anxiety?

Hello everyone,

I`m 26, dignosed with anxiety disorder, which is getting really bad at times - heart paltpitations,chest pain, breathing problems, twitching musles, nausea, headaches, chronic fatigue, nonstop frequent infections - sinus, UTI, kindey ect. Till a certain moment I`ve managed to keep the things under control, but now it`s becomeing more and more difficult every single day. I`ve completely lost my sense of reality, I`m worried about every single little thing, have strange thoughts and weird feeling that something terrible will happen in future, can`t concentrate, can`t sleep...Just wanted to ask after all the things read for being on medicines - do they really help? Of course it`s all individual, but yet, I do hope to be relieved a bit. My doc refuses to give me meds, said I should try to relax, think positive and never look back to the past. Well, if I could do that, I wouldn`t be visting him, would I?
Welcome to my world... Its aweful feeling so out of control.  The worse is if I have a good day or two, then all of a sudden I am back to square one. I have all the symptoms you may have experienced, including frequent colds. Have had multiple tests all normal with the final diagnosis of anxiety.
I attempted to go on an anti-anxiety medication and tried for 2 days. I was so out of it, aggitated and total loss of control. The side effects could last up to 2 wks and I wasn't willing to try another day.
I have Ativan only as needed and I am so afraid to become addicted to it, I think I have used it 3 times total.
I am talking with a counselor and find that talking with a close friend or family member helps.
Everyone is different, but if you feel that things are totally out of control, get to the doctors quick and ask for help(meds and therapist). Its the only way to get better.
Hope you feel better...
Medication does help, I wont deny that, but like with alot of us, we dont like to take meds, because they scare us, when u read the effects.. it just makes it worse... There are alot of herbal supplements you can take, and there are alot of techniques you can do to make yourself feel better as well...
Your doctor obviously doesnt know what you're going through and I would suggest changing doctors asap..
U can always message me we can chat some more...
take a med...
you need to get a new dr.
Thanks for the quick reply and support Kim.

I guess my problems are connected with low self-esteem, living mostly for what-would-other-people-say, certain negative thinking patters I`m "dragging"  from my childhood and late teens, hypersensitivity. But I`m also a perfectionsit, extremely critical to myself and overthinker. And the more I think, the more scared I get. Furthermore, I have quite a vivid imagination /useful for my writing, drawing and designing/ which often drives me crazy, because it always leads me to the most impossible and unthinkable scenarios.
I`m constantly nervious, tensed and stressed, most of the time without a definite reason. But when I do happen to have a reason,I get so pale and get such a terrible chest pain, that I`ve been rushed already 2 times in 1 month to the emergency room. Of course I thought I was having a heart attack?!!. And of course I wasn`t having it.
I `m browsing the net the whole night, searching for symptoms, and somehow I happen to have all the diseases in the universe. MS, oval cancer, AIDS, pulmonary embolism, heart disease, kidney failure, schizoprenia ect...Then when I calm down I just laugh at this nonsense.

Currently my problem is the following: I have repetitive thoughts, which simply can`t go away and I`m struggling with them the whole day, they are simply disrupting my whole life:(  I `m also experiencing strange perceptions and ideas, mild depression, peronality changes, going to the bathroom every hour, without really needing it, having to wash my hands at least 15 times a day, always checking whether doors and windows are closed ...I realise my GAD may be combined with Obssesive-Compulsive disorer, even with Borderline. And to make the situation even more complicated - I`ve suffered from anorexia for 5 years. Now I`m still having strange eating habits. My father is an alcoholic, my mother has emotional problems, my granny psychological.

So I was just thinking - perhaps there is a certain change in my brain chemistry /I really lacked lots of basic nutritional elements during my anorexic period/. My repetitive behaviour and repetitive thoughts have also contributed to this. So shall I change my doc and start meds or  can I just try to work on my personality and "inner" problems? The think is when I try to cope myself with the situation, I realise I can`t help thinking in the good old way, which gives my so much anxiety:(
Please, help!
Which med is good in your experience? something that we can take and dont have to worry about drug dependency

Thanks,
Hi maggie,
Just read your last post and wondered if you had told your doctor all that you told us? if you have and he still refuses to take your problems seresly the you must see another doctor, but all the problems you write about I quess most of us in the forum can relate to some of them, be strong and good luck.
I am experiencing chest tightness, heart palpitations, my girlfriend tells me that at times I shake for 30 seconds or so after falling asleep.  I am only 24 years old and I am pretty active.  I have done all the tests (EMG, MRI, CT Scan, Blood work, thyroid test, etc.) all the tests came back normal.  So with no choice the neurologist diagnosed me with Anxiety.  I also have a negative outlook for the future and I feel like something horrible is going to happen to me.  I was taking paxil for the anxiety but it didn't appear to help much so I stopped it after 5 months.  I have other physical symptoms like trembling, weakness in upper arms and calves.  All of those symptoms come and go and they are intermittent.  I don't know what to do about it...but at least know that you are not alone going through this.  Take care
You sound exactly like me and initially during my illness last year I spent days upon days searching the internet with my symptoms. Despite numerous diagnostic testing with negative results I am still not happy.  I still have the physical symptoms, yet I know that my heart, my lungs, my digestive system is fine.  
Even this morning after a good night sleep, I am still anxious. I don't even know why.
Our personality traits seem very similar.  I want you to know that you are not alone but you need to get help very quickly before you are afraid to do anything, including leaving your home.
You need to make an appointment with your physician and discuss what you stated in this forum.  You need to be as open and honest to him as you can and tell him you need help.
Both medications and counseling will be beneficial to help you get over this and trust me, you will eventually get better but you cannot do it on your own. Keep me in touch on your progress and promise me you will seek the help you need.
First off: Welcome to the Forum, I'm glad you're here!

Second off: The doc said what?!

No doctor who understand the gravity of panic and anxiety just tells you to brush it off and have a nice day. If that's the case, then fire him/her. Get another. Now this assumes you've laid out your symptoms and explained everything. If all you do is ask for medicines and/or have any history of abuse, I'm changing my story. If you really haven't presented your situation so he/she "gets it," print out all these posts and take THAT in next time.

In general, and subject to adjustments for your particular circumstances, here's the drill:

Medication is prescribed to help with the discomfort, so you can function better. Exactly WHAT is prescribed depends on the doctor's impression of what will work best for you. But, no matter what it is, the meds are highly unlikely to make the causes and sources of panic go away on their own, the panic is there for a reason.

To get at the root causes and prime movers, therapy is usually indicated, which involves talking with a qualified counselor to find out what's gumming up your thinking and feeling and doing something about it. This is work YOU do, to change your view of yourself and the world around you, to be active in actually providing your own treatment.

Now, Maggie, get back in the fight. Its your life. Please keep us advised.
Thanks for all the support guys! I`m really so glad I`ve joined this forum. I can find lots of understanding and good advice here.

The result is: I made an appoinment with a new doc, I will explain everything to him next friday and will keep you posted.

Thanks a lot again.
You GO, girl!