Anxiety Community
23k Members

Anxiety

Hi.  I have had a problem for years where I blush on the bottoms of my cheek, chest when speaking to people.  I get nervous.  I think that I may have social anxiety.  I'm a very shy person.  I don't like having this problem, but I don't really want to see a psychiatrist.  Are there any natural herbs that can help?  I've tried taking St. John's Wort but that didn't help.  I'd appreciate any advice.  Thanks.
In my opionion, the best way to get through this is to understand it by talking to a therapist (i.e. psychologist, psychiatrist, counselor, etc). While herbs and medications are very useful there is no 'magic pill' to cure you of this, but combined with talk therapy, you would be amazed how much progress you can make.  Why don't you want to talk about it with a therapist?
Wouldn't that be nice? Some innocuous herb, or a vitamin, or something like that to make it all go away?  Whomever finds that magic bullet stands to get very wealthy; the drug companies have been trying for YEARS, and they're already wealthy, and the best they can do is "help with symptoms."

So, Ret, the real deal is this: if you won't seek help, you probably won't find any. And if you search high and low for cures, you will find thousands of 'em. The problem is, they don't work.

But, if you look around HERE and see what has worked or is working for most people, you'll begin to see pattern: medication PLUS therapy = I'm getting better and often, "I'm ALL better!"

But, everyone has to start somewhere and even though millions of people have gone through the same process, millions of times, it is still the FIRST time for you and this anxiety disorder stuff is about as personal as anything can be -and that should let you know I really do take your contact quite seriously -and I "get it."

So, here's what you do: you get yourself a referral to a psychiatrist who specializes in anxiety disorders. Now, at this point you are NOT going to sign up for some long program -you are going for an interview. The idea is to get some input from the shrink about what might be going on with you -and for YOU to evaluate the shrink to see if he or she makes any sense and is a good fit. That's all for now.

What you'll get from this is DATA, information, on which you can base your next move.

One thing at a time.

And that time...

Is now.

So, scoot. (And then tell us what happened, OK?)