Bad Reaction? Allergy? Overdose?

A few days ago I was with a group of friends. Two of them are my really close friends, and the others I had never met before but they were good friends of my two friends. We went over one of their houses and they were all smoking weed. I had never tried it before, but I was curious so I did. I took my first "hit" and couldn't stop coughing, after a minute though I was fine and feeling okay. They handed it to me a second time and I took a second, bigger hit. After that I couldn't stop coughing and there were moments where I couldn't breath. I started hypervetalating a little so i went into the bathroom to make sure I didn't throw up. I drank water alot to keep myself from throwing up, but afterward I was shaking and sweating and could barely walk. I was shaking pretty bad for a good while. Was I allergic? Some people say it was an overdose?

The others had no problems, so i'm sure it wasn't laced. I felt like I was dying, and wanted to throw up or pass out so bad.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I think it sounds like you had an reaction to the drug it's self. I wouldn't say that you were allergic but the coughing is normal for some one who has never smoke weed before....i think the sweating and shaking was because of maybe how much you smoked.

I don't think it was an overdose either...Again that's just they way your body reacted to the drug...
Helpful - 0
I took a pretty big hit the second time. He lit ALOT and I didn't even take the full hit and felt like I was going to throw up.
Helpful - 0
I smoked pot back in the day! (oh I feel so old), but then I started to get paranoid! oh I liked pot, but my body changed and it did not work for me! Some people like yourself are just not made for pot.

Also NO way I would try pot from anyone (now days) It's like leaving a drink unattended , you don't know whats in it!
Helpful - 0
The people I was with were my best friends, one of their boyfriends, and his best friends. All those people have known each other for years, and I've knows my best friends since middle school. We all smoked the same thing. So everyone keeps saying it could be laces, but we all smoked out of the same bong.
Helpful - 0
Most likely...it just didn't "agree" with you.  I highly doubt it was an "allergic" reaction, and that small amount was definitely not an "overdose".  Marijuana isnt similar to drugs like Heroin when it comes to an "overdose."  That is a common misconception.  It is actually VERY VERY hard to OD on pot.  I've actually never seen it happen...both professionally, or personally.

It just isn't for you, plain and simple.  The good news is...it's over and done with and you have nothing to worry about...it didn't harm you in any way.  The even BETTER news is..you NEVER have to feel that way again bc you never have to touch the stuff again!  Problem solved!  Yay!  :0)
Helpful - 0
Haha thanks. You're one of a few people who has told me about the overdose thing since I posted this last night. :)
Helpful - 0
This is clearly a case of overdose. As discussed above, overdosing on marijuana isn't dangerous, but it can be highly unpleasant. Overdosing often occurs in people that eat it in something like a brownie because it is harder to gauge a good dose due to the length of time it takes your liver to process the THC in to hydroxy 11. Overdose is charaterized by sweating (sometimes profuse), and a feeling like u are fainting (e.g seeing stars, dizzy, unable to walk).

You can overdose from inhaling thc if you inhale a lot of smoke in quick succession. If you use a vaporizor this is even easier because it doesn't impact the lungs as adversely as smoking,enabling you to take much bigger hits. Fortunately, the effects from the overdose will pass quickly. You make it worse by freaking out. Try to relax and enjoy and you can take the edge off the unpleasantness.

If you overdose by consuming thc, you are in for a much longer ordeal. Your liver can metabolize thc in to hydroxy 11 for hours and hours. This means that instead of a 20/30 minute recovery from too much thc, you could be looking at hours and hours. The high itself can last for days.

So, in conclusion, to avoid overdosing, spread out your hits to 15 or 20 minute intervals if you are smoking. Don't inhale as deeply as you can. Until you can gauge your personal reaction and the strength of the plant, go very slow.

If you are eating a brownie with thc oil in it, go even slower. Eat no more than a 2 sqaure inch piece at a time, probably less. Then wait an hour. That is how long it will take before you feel the full effect.
Helpful - 0
Well, thank you for the dialouge on how to safely get high.  :0(

Personally, a person that has had an adverse reaction is better to just steer clear of it all together.  That solves the problem.

A person with anxiety would do themselves a favor by never touching the stuff....there have been so many posts about pot and anxiety.  Just seems like common sense.
Helpful - 0
I too, was disappointed to see you encouraging and instructing how a young person (or anyone) can continue smoking weed and especially someone who's had this reaction smoking for the first time.  This reaction is the body saying "no, this is not for me!"

Really MrGreenJeans.  Not Good!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Anxiety Community