Anxiety Community
23k Members

Bad anxiety after eating??

Does anyone else suffer from bad anxiety after eating a large meal? I've been having panic attacks after eating. Abotu 10 minutes after I get finished eating, I will get very nervous/anxious feeling and I have heart palps. Almost everytime I eat a large meal this happens, so I'm guessing it is a panic attack.
The first thing you want to do is get checked out by your doctor to make sure there are no other causes for this. You definitely want to get your blood glucose level checked as it may be that your blood sugar is too low after eating. If you are avoiding carbs, and sugars this can cause low blood sugar.  The next time you have this, try eating something sweet or high in carbs, if it stops your symptoms it's a good sign that it is low blood sugar.  This normally will occur between meals and not right after eating, but it depends on your diet.  Your thyroid may be playing a role in this as well.  If it were me, I'd see an Endocrinologist but many have this testing done by their GP.  Let us know what you find out and take care!
Hi I also get panic attacks after eating. Doesn't matter te size of the meal. It doesn't happen everytime I eat, but it happens enough because I have lost 12 lbs in 3 weeks and my panic attacks started a month ago. I have been seen by an ENT who wants to take x rays of my throat to see if it could be a muscular problem. Also maybe get an appt with a endocrinologist to get necked for diabetes.  Good luck to you.
There could be a physical cause, or you could be experiencing a panic cycle common with panic disorder.  After getting the "all clear" from your doc, then you need to see a psychiatrist who can properly diagnose you and offer treatment options.  Therapy would be a vital part of the process, as it would teach you how to undo the anxious thinking cycle that leads to frequent panic attacks.  

Hang in there and let us know what the outcome of your doctor visit is....you can get to the bottom of this.
yep, happens to me too.  But it's very cyclical.  One day I'll have panic after every single bite I force down my throat, but the next nothing...  I hate that.
I  have been checked out by my doctor, had blood work and the full workup. My thyroid and blood sugar is fine. I have saw a cardiologist for my heart palps and had a tone of test done. He says all is fine! I don't know if I"m just in some kind of viscious cycle or what. But I do find myself thinking about it before I eat, worrying if I'm going to have another panic attack or not.  This is very frustrating, I would just like to find a way to get away from this!
It's time to address the anxiety.  Our anxiety feeds off our fears and worries, and when we sit in anticipation of another attack, we will get one.  You're absolutely correct, it's a vicious cycle.  Try to distract yourself  before and after eating both physically and mentally and see if that helps.  If not, therapy would be very beneficial in teaching you how not to dwell on this and think differently.  Also, do some deep breathing exercises before eating and when you feel yourself getting anxious afterwards.  Breathe slowly in thru your nose and slowly out of your mouth.  Exercisie is good for anxiety, so if you're able, take a walk after eating.  I know it's both scary and frustrating but there is help, so if you can't do this on your own (most of us can't) seek help with therapy. Best wishes and take care!
Saw your post.  I found out that I'm gluten intolerant.  Since then, I have been paying attention to what I eat and have noticed I often get that feeling if I eat something with gluten in it (sometimes I get the feeling on a carb overload as well).  You may want to be tested to see if you are gluten intolerant.  One good thing to do is keep a food journal and note what you eat, when and how you feel during different times of the day.  Be forewarned that gluten is in just about everything that comes in a box or bag.  It is not just in 'wheat' like alot of people think.  celiac.org is a good resource for more information.  Good luck!
Could be a side affect of benzo or some other psycotropic med.
I am not sure of your history with any other anxiety or panic attacks, but my son just recently was suffering from anxiety only after eating and we were going crazy trying to figure it out and found that it is a simple fix of taking an indigestion medicine. I know it sounds crazy, but he started taking 2 tums before he ate and it was gone. He will now be going to see a gastrologist. Try it! It really worked for him :)
i have anxiety after eating also, but i think thats because before i eat something i get very overwhelmed with the fact that" this could be my last meal if i eat this because its got so much salt, so much carbs, so much (of anything really) that it would make me have a heart attack and ill die.. i know thats really bad.. and extreme.. but when i have panic attacks thats all its based around ... and its getting to the point where i cant even eat a piece of bread or rice or something i felt safe about before cause thats always in the back of my mind .... really need help with this..
Hi, I was wondering if I can get help I have multiple symptoms started after birth control and then antibiotics for hpylori. I have constant fatigue , depression, anxiety going in stores , 2 major panic attacks in the past 3 years lower back pain came from knowhere . I also had turbunate reduction on nose its back blocked now, i have pressure in my head . No longer can drink milk or i would make all symptoms worse. Sugar or caffeine in moderations or pain is worse . Cat scan shows moderate facet hypertrophy and annular fissure. I also get very dehydrated and dizzy in the am. I was happy outgoing and i take vitamins and just want my life back. Doc refuse to test just prescribe anti depressants that only make me feel sick and no motivation to get out of bed ferritin 17 and vitamin d 21 or 25 female 31yrs reg periods symptoms worse on period. Facet injections relief for one month and ibs. Took antidepressants then quit florastor to try to get ibs under control. Some reacurring vag yeast infection and crackling sound in hed with pressure. I bite my lower lip constantly when sitting . Thanks im not anti-social or suicidal just feel sick no job .