Anxiety Community
23k Members

Beta Blockers for Anxiety?

Has anyone ever heard of doctors using Beta Blockers for Anxiety?  I've tried Lexapro, Cymbalta, Celexa, Effexor, Prozac and Amatryptaline and am unable to tollerate the side effects.  If this is a legitamate med for anxiety I'm willing to give it a try.
Hi When I had to go on Toprel for heart pvc's and pac's my doctor told me that this medicine helps with anxiety also.  I couldn't understand this and when I was on xanax for the heart problems and was coming off he also mentioned it would help me while I was coming off.  I personal didn't notice it helping my anxiety but I am on an extremly low does.  I'm not sure how it works but I know it lowers your heart rate and blood pressure so I assume that when you have anxiety that goes up so being on the beta blocker would help with that.   I didn't have much side effects with the beta blocker.  I just felt a little tiered.  I don't feel that way any more.  Good Luck
My doc said the exact same thing today.  I asked how long i need to be on the Toporol XL.  He said it helps with anxiety also.  I thought that was weird but oh well i guess.
beta blockers can help with anxiety by reducing the effects of adrenaline - which is what causes the racing heart, dizziness, edginess, sweating, etc. that comes with anxiety / panic. i've never used them myself, but i asked my shrink about them for panic. she just put me on klonopin instead.
They are generally effective only with social anxiety, though you never know.  They work by slowing down the heart, so they work with people who have racing heart as an anxiety symptom, but not usually if you don't have that symptom.  But you never know.
it does help little as it lowers your heart rate.. i was on it for 5 years for fast heart rate and it did help with my panic attacks as it would not allow my hr to elvate for any long periods of time
i take it for migraines. when my anxiety reared it's ugly head last year...it really helped with the heart racing, etc. i've never heard of using it to treat anxiety...but you never know. propranolol (inderal) has had some very interesting studies done recently on how it could possibly treat post-traumatic stress disorder...so you never know. i would try it. what other treatments have you tried outside of just medicine?