Anxiety Community
23k Members

Can the contraceptive implant implanon cause anxiety and depression?

I have had the implanon now for 2 years and since then have experienced 6 month cycles of extreme depression and anxiety followed by periods where i return to my normal happy mood and behaviour.  For the last month I have been feeling hightened level of anxitey, which have caused social withdrawal, and fellings of sadness and depression. Most worringly, recently i have had thoughts of self harming.

I couldn't seem to put my finger on why I was feeling this way, and till tonight, hadn't considered the possibility that it could be the implanon. I have done some brief reseach and found that the implanon can cause depression, but I am concerned can it completely explain the reason for my extreme long-term changes in mood, or is there something more deep routed?
I had the Implanon for about 16 months during that time  I was feeling very anxious and even suffered with panic attacks social withdrawal, scary thoughts  etc
These are feelings that I have never experienced before in my life and I  felt that I was losing my mind.
I had the Implanon removed about four months ago and I feel so much better.
I hope that this helps you

I'm a nutritionist.  Here's how you can find out for sure..HAVE THE IMPLANT REMOVED!  You have no idea how bad it is to screw with your hormones like that.  Bad for your body, and your mind.  And yes, this is likely the reason for your mood problems.  Learn how to do, Natural Family Planning (google this) until you figure out what you want to do to keep the babies away.  Good luck!
Had the implanon fitted approx a month ago and have started to feel really low and depressed????
Haven't felt like this before, but is it possible to feel like this so soon after the implanton being fitted???

Help!!
Yes from what I have read. There is another question asked in this site that has many posts. I think it may answer your questions. I just Googled  Implanon contraceptive implant and scrolled down and found this site. Keep looking in here. I hope you find it. It has answered some questions for me. I didn't even realize that some questions I had been asking myself could be related to this implant.

I hope you are doing better at this point.
I have had the Implanon implant for nearly 3 months now. Up until recently I thought it was a dream come true as far as birth control was concerned. Unfortunately it seems to be messing with my hormones in ways I hadn't even imagined. The mood swings and depressive state I am in, along with my irregular periods and decreased stress threshold are really getting to me. Does anyone know-- can these issues be resolved WITHOUT removing the implant? Would it be safe to take an antidepressant? I know everyone reacts differently so the answer I already know, is perhaps Yes.... More information would be great. Good luck to all!

Wow, I'm glad I googled this. I've had the Implanon in for the same amount of time as you, and the exact same thing has been happening to me. I had depression and sought counselling just after the first few months, for a duration of 6-8 months. Just recently, almost a year later, I've found that I'm tending back toward that same place. It seems worse this time, if the fact that I have been eating much less and unable to sleep. It's 7am at the moment, and I've not slept at all during the night. I thought it could have been a food allergy, as I have had some physiological effects, such as head and stomach aches, and irregularity with my bowels, but coupled with the Implanon and stress, I think it has kick-started the depression. Thank you for asking this question, as I am given hope by the fact that others have seemingly had the same problem.
I had the implanon fitted 17 months ago and I cant tell you how relieved I am to find you all here. After no history of depression I have been hit like a truck with it. I have a happy family, run a good business and have great friends, yet I have cut myself off and feel like im either an automaton or wanting to shout and scream. I have never felt like this and I want the implanon out, but I am running into problems with the doctor who says it shouldnt cause these problems.I live a healthy, organic life and I just want it out. I am getting so desperate and feel like I have been tricked into the person I am now by my first doctor, who only said that this was the best contraceptive after I had a bad experience giving birth, so obviously I believed her straight away. Please keep talking about this so our voice is heard.
In June of this year my OB/GYN inserted a birth control implant into my left arm.  The implant is called Implanon.  I was initially very excited about this form of BC because I have had negative experiences with BC pills affecting my emotional health and I had horrid pain when I tried Mirena (IUD).  I had the usual swelling and bruising of the insertion site.  I called my doctor and he said to take 800 mg of Ibuprofen etc.  the swelling did go down.  
I have experienced the following side effects that I did not even contribute to the Implanon until yesterday.  I have had a sinus infection for months, I have been experiencing bruising for no apparent reason, I have had to visit my eye doctor twice due to my contacts, I have a constant headache, I have hot flashes so bad that the temperature in my house was 59 degrees and I was still sweating, I have pain and tingling in my left arm, my left hand swells, my blood pressure went from normal to 159/121, I have developed acne (never had it before), I have brownish red vaginal discharge that smells like a dead animal, pain in my abdomen and lower back, panic attacks, fear, paranoia, fevers, suicidal thoughts, aggression (I hit my husband in the head with a frying pan), anger, anxiety, nervousness, nausea, vomiting, coughing, I have lost about 50 pounds in 6 months, and my sex drive has changed.  I have no appetite and it is hard to swallow sometimes. My hair has been falling out.
I thought I was going crazy… I really was concerned I was developing some mental disorder even though I am 25 years old and should be past the usual age of that occurring.  I cannot believe it has taken me so long to figure this out!  At least I’m not crazy!  But I strongly recommend not having this implant.
WELL HERE I SIT I CANT BELIVE THIS. I HAVE HAD THIS IMPLANON FOR 13 MONTHS AND I WAS SO EXCITED ABOUT THIS, I HAVE BLEEDING FOR MONTHS AT A TIME. MY HORMONES IS NUTS. I WENT BACK TO DOCTOR TWICW CAUSE I HAVE HAD SEVERE ANXIETY AND PANIC ATTACKS, CANT GO INTO PUBLIC, BEEN MISSING SO MUCH WORK THAT IF I MISS TO MUCH MORE I WILL; BE FIRES! I AM A MOTHER OF 5 BOYS, WITH NO HUSBAND AND NO CHILD SUPPORT. I HAVENT GOT OUT OF BED NOW IN 2 DAYS AND I JUST SIT AND CRY, I FEEL LIKE I AM LOOSING IT! I AM NOT GOOD AT TAKING MEDS, BUT THEY KEEP PUTTING ME ON DIFFERENT MEDS FOR MY ANXIETY, BUT I STOP TAKING CAUSE I THINK IT GETS WORSE. MY BLOOD PRESSURE WENT UP TO 159/104> MY BLOOD PRESSURE IS LOW USUALLY ABOUT 110/60. I THOUGHT I WAS GOING TO PASS OUT! I AM SO GLAD THIS SITE CAME UP, IM GETTING IT TAKING OUT! ITS GOT TO BE THAT, I ALWAYS HAD LITTLE ANXIETY BUT I ABOUT TO PUT MY SELF IN  INTO A MENTAL HOSPITAL. ITS HARD FOR ME TO GO TO DOCTOR WHEN I CANT MAKE IT TO WORK AND HAVE A CO PAY
Wow, I'm so thankful to find this page! Just reading your stories has comforted me, knowing that I'm not the only one that feels this way. Was beginning to feel like I was going insane.

I had my implant put in Summer of 2007, and about 3 months after, I had my first panic attack. I was miserable for months, didnt feel right, cried all the time, and had an awful xmas.
I returned back to my normal self after a few months and didnt put 2+2 together with the implanon (d'oh!)....
Then a few months after, it happened again, panic attacks followed by weeks of depression...doctor tried to give me anti depressants but I didnt take them. This happened in a cycle of every few months being depressed then going back to normal...which brings me up to now, which is a depressed stage. Only now, over 2 years later have I realised that it may be the implanon!!! Im having it out this coming week, and I pray to god I feel normal again.
I have always been a happy, laid back 24 year old....but the panic attacks have taken over, and changed me,  I am very anxious, very tearful, I feel detatched and lonely. I worry about worrying, its ridiculous. I am exhausted of feeling like this, and I just want to feel back to normal again!
I'm so hopeful about having it out, I'm positive it must be the implanon!

Has anyone had it out and got rid of the anxiety??
If it is the implanon, then it should 110% be taken off the market...it's made me feel suicidal at times which is VERY unlike me.
Well I have to say it's awesome find out like so many others that I'm not a freaking fruitcake. I got my implant done a little of 5 months ago, right after my first daughter was born. I didn't want to have anymore kids and wanted to make SURE it didn't happen on accident. So I decided to go for this one since i've heard IUDS hurt like hell. It was great the first 2 months and then I started to change, I stopped having my period all together after month 3. And I'm always worried i'm knocked up again. It only got worse. Then the shakes started, I started to itch and I wanted to cry for no reason at all. My sleep even when I do get it isn't rested feeling at all. I've Had thoughts about jumping of a damn bridge, I'm annoyed all the time for no reason. My head feels like I got into a fight with truck, my sex drive isn't there at all anymore. Most mornings I just wake up and lay in bed. I didnt think it was the impalon at first. And then after trying things like serquil and xanax They didn't effect me at all! Today I started doing research on this drug and have found its a common problem amongst women my age (21-24). I've read that the coated part of the implant can strip it self and when its just down to the metal or whatver its made out of, it cause the release of to many hormones at one time. I've never been a super happy person But i've always been happy with my life. Now I feel completly dead inside, and I can say This was the worst choice I've ever made! I'm going to call my doctor first thing and have this "devil strip" removed from my arm. I hope it doesn't hurt. And I hope I can get back to my normal self..

thank you all for posting
I can't tell you how relieved I am to find out that it isn't just me dealing with this. I only had mine put in very recently, but it has already made me anxious, depressed, paranoid and like some others have said, I just want to yell or hurt myself constantly. I didn't read anything about that in my research before getting it. I have ruined an amazing friendship because I went crazy and yelled some really terrible things at my best friend; that's when it occurred to me that there might be some hormonal imbalance and what brought me here. I don't know if I'm going to get my friend back, but I'm glad to at least know that it wasn't entirely my fault - it was something beyond my control. I just wish I could get it out immediately... but I'm in another country for about 6 months. I hope I can deal until then. (And I'm crying again... stupid thing has made me cry so much lately. And I'm ridiculously sensitive now, too.) Oh - and I've not been able to sleep for ages. I had to take an Ambien a couple nights ago.
IMPLANON, I HATE YOU!
This discussion was closed by the MedHelp Community Moderation team. If you have any questions please contact us.