Anxiety Community
23k Members

Celexa and Weight gain

Does anyone know if higher doses of Celexa (or any antidepressant for that matter) would in turn cause greater weight How do you find celexa with weight gain, is it bad?
I'm currently on Paxil and Xanax, and have been experiencing a complete loss of appetite most days.  I started eating a few days ago, but I'm only on 10mg a day for the Paxil.  It takes a while for stuff to kick in, but this med has made me lose 10 lbs in 2 weeks.  When I was 14 (I'm now 25) I was put on Celexa, and I was on it for a couple of years.  I remember the Dr. increased my dosage a few times, and eventually I felt like a zombie.  And YES I did gain weight.  I'm 5' 3" and weighed over 160 lbs when I was on Celexa.  I gained about 35 pounds from the time I started taking the med til the time I stopped. I'm now down to 115 (which I do not want to be at... 120-125 is where I'd like to stay).  But, for me at least, Celexa made me gain weight.  

These meds affect different people differently, so there's no predicting.  Paxil is a big weight gainer, but here's someone saying they gained no weight.  Basically, when these drugs work for anxiety, they slow the metabolism, is the theory.  But nobody really knows.  The only one that appears not tied to weight gain is Prozac, but it's also not known for being that great for anxiety.  Who knows?
SSRI's often cause weight loss initially. After your body gets used to the drug the weight gain usually kicks in.  The only thing to do is try to stay away from the carbs and sweets that you seem to crave with long-term use.
I HAVE BEEN ON CELEXA FOR APPROX. 4 1/2  MONTHS AND HAVE GAINED 30 LBS. I AM HORRIFIED  AND SO IS MY DOCTOR.  I WANT TO DC USE OF; HE WANTS ME TO COME IN AND HAVE A SIT DOWN TALK.  HE SAYS THAT NOT ENOUGH STUDY HAS BEEN DONE.             I ALSO HAVE BEEN ANNOYED WITH SHORT TERM MEMORY PROBLEMS  AND FEELTHIS IS CAUSING IT. MY SISTER IS TWO YEARS OLDER THEN ME  AND IS HAVING THE SAME PROBLEMS. ANY COMMENT?