Anxiety Community

Citalopram Advise Please!!!

Hello everyone
I'm new here & I would be gratefull for any advise you could offer regarding Citalopram, but before I ask the question please take a moment to read my situation.
I am 25yrs old and have been living with anxiety/panic disorder for over three years, Like all of you using this forum I feel so frustated because I feel as if my life has been taken away and I'm slowly losing what should be the best years of my life.
A couple of days ago I had to make a visit to my GP as I have been feeling a bit low and was hoping to try out the CBT treatment "again" but after a long chat he thought I should try medication as this was something I never gave a go.
So at this moment I have a box of Citalopram 20mg on my desk and I am realy not sure what I should do as I have always said I would prefer to beat this without the help of medication.

Can anyone who has used this medication please tell me if it has worked as I've read some pretty rough stories..

Thanks for taking the time.
Regards
Dave

Hi dave first welcome to the forum, I cant help you with the meds as I have not been on them, My cousion has and still takes them today and they have saved him, he couldent go to work he wouldent even go to the dustbin outside his frount door, All I can say dave none of us seem to like taking meds me included but you can only give them a try, they might not be for you but you wont know if you dont try, but I do beleave talking is much better but then dave I dont know where your from, I am in england so its cheaper to give you a pill hear than talking therapy,
take care and keep us posted,
Janis.
Hi.  I have dealt with depression and anxiety since I was 9.  I am 51 now.  I have been on Celexa (citalopram) before and was just switched back as I was taking Zoloft ( max dose) and it stopped working.  I have been on Celexa before. I find that it is helping me, even though I just started back less than a week ago.  I also take Klonopin for anxiety.  I can tell you that 20 mg is the lowest dose.  I agree with ativan...none of us likes taking meds but I know that I have accepted it. As my shrink says...if you were a diabetic, you would be on insulin, high blood pressure, same thing.  
Hello, Thanks for the replys I'm very greatull for the advise. I think you both make a good points in able to beat this I must be open to giving every option available to me a try! so if that means meds are my next option then so be it.
Im gona book a couple of days anual leave from work & give them a go.

I will keep you's posted with my progress and I wish you all the best.

Dave
Good job Dave, in deciding to give it a try.  I've been on lexapro (escitalopram) for almost a year, and just switched to celexa this past week to save money... Just want to let you know that it may be rough to start, the temporary side effects are not that nice and can last a few weeks. just see it through, trust me and a lot of other people on these forums...this can be the beginning of the best years of your life. you may not ever even remember how crappy you felt before. seriously...
HI Mate,

Well done you for thinking about it first before jumping right in. My Dr put me on Citralopram, I was horribly ill and I had horrific nightmares which has given me a very odd phobia (I won't discuss). I hate meds and have done a lot of research that suggests they don't work anyway. You're better off with CBT and check out the Human Givens (they are brilliant) Pills mask the problem, they don't cure it. So fight for yourself, take lots of Omega3 oil and look at more natural therapies like 5HTP etc.

With anxiety, it's all in the mind and the answer is you, you will beat it yourself.

Good luck fella, keep in touch.

B
Welcome!

I find it ironic to admit that citalopram was my favourite SSRI. Pretty silly for me to have a favourite, but I do since I've tried several. The reason I liked it was because it was a low enough dose (20mgs) that I felt better but I wasn't completely overtaken by the medication. I did have some anxiety (can't remember if I can't panic attacks on it) while on the medication but that gave me my chance to "work through it" which in turn has helped me today.

If you're concerned about side effects, ask your doctor about starting a week on 10mg and then going up from there.

Look into Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. I have yet to have the pleasure with starting that.