Anxiety Community
23k Members

Could these stomach symptoms be anxiety?

Hi everybody, I posted about this on the gastroenterology forum as well, but I thought it is better if I post on here too since it is anxiety related question...and i do suffer with anxiety...
About 4 weeks ago now I have started getting stomach bloating (upper mostly) with a lot of burping to relive the pressure. This was making me feel really anxious, and I became scared of the episodes coz the pressure of my bloated stomach made my heart feel fluttery... It then turned into nausea for couple fo days and then this constant feeling of heavyness in my stomach, like I have a rock there, and heavy fullness after even smallest meal, i am still burping a lot, i have no idea where all the gas comes from. The first thing i do when i wake up is burp! I also get some gas at the other end too...(blush) Also I have the feeling of a tight knott, like tension around the sternum, sometimes i would feel like the food is gonna come back up...I can also get constipated. Oh I am so desparate about all this.
Seen 3 different doctors, first put me on Lanzoprazole (PPI) and said anxiety indigestion...the second put me back on me escitalopram and after palpating my tummy said also it is most likely anxiety...The third doctor told me also that the symptoms can often be associated with anxiety but for me this is hard to belive coz i feel so bad all the time with this...it is just hard to believe it is anxiety and i worry over it 24/7...He did order some blood tests which will be done sometime next week...but he did say he belives this is just anxiety and me feeling depressed at the moment...Anyone can relate to me? Please, really need some help...
It is interesting that you posted to the gastroenterology site too because, it does sound like this is both an anxiety issue as well as an IBS issue.  Was IBS ever mentioned to you?  I suggest you get the book Eating for IBS or go to the website.  The book and the website is full of great recipes that aid your digestion whether you have constipation or diarrhea.  Anxiety and IBS often go hand in hand.  IBS can be as debilitating as anxiety but with the right diet, it can help relieve your digestive issues and help with your anxiety as well.  Good luck and let me know what you decide to do.
hey
what u describe does sound like ibs which barfer said is very common in ibs.our emotions play a big part on our digestive tract and as anxiety can speed things up other stressers can slow things down.i know for myself when stressed we tend to adopt sloppy eating habits and ignore what is good for us,we may eat lots of refined foods and ignore nutritious foods as fruit ,vegs etc.ensure what u eating is adequately absorbed by relaxing afterwards rem what  food u consume is the nourishment for the rest of your body and it will never get to the rest of your body if it is not absorbed efficiently. that would be the case even if u were on the best diet in the world.if u feel under pressure or anxious eat something that is easy at that time for your tummy like soup etc.i know i have anxiety and it lead me to ibs and have all those crampy feeling that u get ,that is just from spasms in the gut kinda like trapped wind and can be quite uncomfortable.if it is ibs there are lots of ways to control it with diet and such --allow your self plenty of time to eat for now until u find a pattern and if there is certain foods causing this keep a diary for a couple of weeks and note your symptoms.

keep posted on how u get on
Just as soon as I started with anxiety  issues I started with stomach problems. I have had an upper GI normal and my gallbladder and liver checked via an ultrasound all came back normal. I am now waiting for a camera swallowing test to be done. My problem is a sense of fullness even after eating a small meal, I hate this feeling? Is this what you have? I can eat little amounts all day long, but as soon as I try to eat a full meal I'm in trouble. The Dr.'s also think all this is anxiety related but my GI Dr. wants to run the new test hoping it will give me a peace of mind if everything comes back normal. I am now on Prilosec which seems to help with some of the stomach issues. Let me know how you are doing, and if you have some of the same problems.

Take care! God Speed!
Hi Suzzie, I have the same feeling of fullness, but I have a constant knotted feeling in my stomach or heavyness, just it gets worse after eating, which is even worse if i try to eat a normal meal...It's the fact it is always there for me that scares me so much, I can't stop thinking about it...I am in a very stressed period of my life right now and before this I had some different symptoms so I could in a way think this could be anxiety, it is just coz it is so uncomfortable and worrysome that I find it difficult...Other symptoms I get with my anxiety, it is easy to get reassurance with, tests are not so complicated, with this it is so difficult to get reassurance...So it just won't go for a month now :-( I find it impossible to continue with my life, I've just been sitting around, i don't want to go to work or do anything because I cannot cope with it anymore...It can't be food intolerance, that one I know, because I have done food tests, plus I never  had problem with eating anything and now my problem is there even if I don't eat at all...
Thank you all for replies...I really need some support right now, I feel like this is gonna drag me down...
I posted at the Gastro section too last week.  I've been off Klonopin for 15 months, during this time, I developed digestive issues, mostly bloating & constipation.  I've had an upper GI & Endoscopy done Jan 08, normal results, but my bloating & constipation continued, no digestive medications worked.  

Visit my doctor last week and had a very long talk with him about my digestive system, and he said my nerves (anxiety) can trigger digestive symptoms, increasing bacteria growth.  

He said starting Klonopin again would help relieve my symptom, but Klonopin was the very med that began it all in the first place.

So from my experiences, yes anxiety & psych meds can cause digestive issues.  Now I just have to patiently wait for my digestive system to correct itself.  

I can so relate to your stomach issues. That's all of us who have anxiety need ii to add worrying about our health to the list, which I to lately. Eating is what we do to socialize so whenever that kind of situtation comes up I already start having stomach issues. What's odd is this doesn't happen everyday but often enough. I'm so worried about getting that too full feeling that I won't go into a restaraunt for fear of overeating then getting sick, I even carry a plastic bag in my purse at all times cuz of this fear. Do you sometimes have it where you feel after you eat that there's something really heaving just sitting in your lower stomach, kind of like your food just dropped straight down and is just sitting there? I get that once in a while too. I have lost over 20 pounds since this all started have you lost weight? Isn't anxiety fun? I am now on Klonipin and is really does help with my anxiety alot. I'm only taking .05 in the AM and .25 in the PM. my phsyciarist said I could add in another .25 if I wanted to so I'm thinking about trying that to see if I feel better. Usually the minimum dose is 1mg a day I think and I've been on this since Jan. of this year and still am not up to that yet. I know mine is not what I eat it's how much I eat. Oh! To be normal again.

Lots of love get back to me when you get a chance.