Anxiety Community
23k Members

Does Klonopin cause weight gain?

I posted this under another topic on Klonopin but thought I'd start a thread all its own.  I take Xanax and have thought about trying Klonopin since it's longer acting and to help me get off Xanax.  I have read that Stevie Nicks had a really bad time with Klonopin and she said it caused her major weight gain.  This CANNOT happen to me.  Is it true Klonopin causes weight gain?  Anyone experience this?
Thanks for the advice.  I have been taking Xanax for 3 years now.  I take .25 mg in the morning and .25 at night.  This is basically just to stave off withdrawals, like you said.  Every time I try to cut down, I start having them and have to go back to my original dose.  I would LOVE to get off benzos and may try to do so using some other drug, I just don't want to risk weight gain.
Thanks again!
I have been taking xanax for a month now for sleep only. I started with 1mg per night -now it takes 6mgs for me to sleep . I am going thru menopause with sever vaginal burning and dryness. My doctor put me on premarin cream but it's not working. I am in constant pain and can hardly function. The only relief i get is when i sleep. What should i do ???
Does Klonipin make you age faster due to the free radical connection it has ?
Where did you everhere of such a bizarre thing? It better not.
I read this recently on the Internet when I was prescribed Klonopin . I also read more discouraging facts about it , such as the superoxide connection it has , which may or may not be dangerous . I will look it up again later as I cannot tonight . I will post the site for you to look at and you can read this for yourself . It contains a lot of hard to understand information unless you are familiar with what you are reading about . I have  been taking this type drug along with anti-depressants for 20 years and have studied to the point I can understand it pretty well . However, I will let you decide ..
My Doctor has me on 2MG tabs of Klonopin......one at bedtime.  I am also taking Xanax .5 MG prn.  Usually never take more than 2 a day........sometimes if I wake up too early and can't go back to sleep I take a Xanax....otherwise usually just one a day.  I can't shake this "drugged" feeling that I have though........and wonder if I am just plain over medicated.  I have no energy and have gained 10 lbs in the last year and a half.  Can I just stop taking it?  Or do I need to taper off. The Klonopin is prescribed for "sleep".  The Xanax for a Diagnosed Panic Disorder.