Anxiety Community
23k Members

Getting off Xanax with help of Klonopin

Has anyone tried weaning off 6mg/day of xanax to 3mg/day of Klonopin without going into any kind of withdrawl? It's my second day, but I'm taking Klonopin Q8Hrs and if I feel the tinglies that I got when the xanax wore off, I'll take .5mg of xanax....just the Klonopin alone makes me "tired" and want to sleep. I know has a longer half life, but how long til I get use to this medication? Any info on dealing with a transition of xanax to Klonopin will help.
Thanks  Ladywolf
Thanks for your input Ryan. I tried to get my pharmacist to tell me the equal amount of xanax vs. Klonopin, he just said they are the same class drug..DUHHHHHHH. So far, I've not had any time of w/d symptoms. <>>. Including any type of siezure activity.
My physc doc tells me when dealing with xanax, mainly it's the fear of w/d that freaks you out plus dealing with siezures. It's all a head game. The half life of Xanax is 12 hrs with the half life of Klonopin being 34 hrs. Maybe he's play'n a head game with me???

Oh if you think 6mg/day is MASSIVE, you should have been there when the neurosurgeon put me on 2mg Q4hrs...that's 16mg/day! I almost went to ICU over that little bit of ****.

Thanks again for your input.
LadyWolf
Hey Ryan, Can you shoot me the url where you got your info..my PDR's packed up. I've been looking all over the www for info tapering & w/d off xanax and life on benzo's. Thanks LadyWolf
Ah found my PDR. Just FYI for anyone out there on Klonopin....
Pharmacokinetics
Clonazepam is rapidly and completely absorbed after oral administration. The absolute bioavailability of clonazepam is about 90%. Maximum plasma concentrations of clonazepam are reached within 1 to 4 hours after oral administration. Clonazepam is approximately 85% bound to plasma proteins. Clonazepam is highly metabolized, with less than 2% unchanged clonazepam being excreted in the urine.

For what it's worth.
Ladywolf
Ok what's the deal with no grapefruit with benzo's, especially xanax????? Any chemist out there that can tell me why in non layman's terms plz.
Ladywolf
Yea, now your talk'n my language.  Just where do you find your info??? Not to be a smartars, but you seem somewhat knowlegdeable in pharmokenetics yourself. Are you a chemist or in the med field? or retired medical professional as myself. PDR.net is a good site to be able to go to.
The information above looks like what's in my PDR for benzo's.

Thanks for the answering of the question on grapefruit, The rest was already known...but good for others that don't understand this stuff.

Oh here's another interesting factoid:chocolate speeds up the metabolism and therefore helps metobolize the drug in question you are wanting to "kick". Learned this from an old Anesthesiologist.

Peace
Ladywolf
Yes, I do have those books..LOL...those are excellant books and couldn't live without them while in hospital working. Even now I find them stimulating to read.
Yea, the Merck Manual I looked at for the benzo chart just the other day for 1/2 lifes and x=k/mg.

LOL....you are a funny one, trying this early in my benzo fogged head to get me to convert grains to mg...OMGS what a challenge. Wait then I'd have to change it from mgs to oz.  I'll take it, but let me get some java in me first..It takes a pot a day..mmmmm maybe that's why I have such a tollerance when it comes to benzo's.

Hey Ryan...are you a chronic pain patient? Have you ever tried Duragesic/Fentanyl???? I believe it's the most dirtiest drug out there on the market today except for MS2.  

Catch ya back in a couple hrs for that challenge..LOL....for now, it's JAVA TIME! ;) it's 900am CST here, and I'm an old night worker..so you can imagine how my head is even without benzo power...lol...
Ocyio
LadyWolf

PS...My old friend that told me about the chocolate used it to get himself off speed in the 60's. Old Hippie. ;) TTYS..Thanks for your input and your enjoyable intelligence.