Anxiety Community
23k Members

Heavy head feeling and eye focusing problem

Hie, for the past 2 weeks i have had this heavy headed feeling, sometimes at the back of my head, sometimes it feels like the whole head. The feeling will be there constantly. Throughout the day, sometimes i feel throbbing pain at both sides of my temple. Apart from that, my eyes focus seems to be getting weird - don't really know how to explain the feeling, but it feels like my focus expands and then shrinks. My eyes also feels tired easily since this whole episode started. Before this happens, i've had a few other worries regarding my health, and hav been getting up several hours before i am suppose to be up. I have done a renal blood test (the doctor thought i might be anaemic) and a CT scan, both of which came back negative. I've been asked to go to an eye doctor instead. Should i be worried about brain tumour?
It can definitely be all due to anxiety.  I had similar symptoms as you.  I went to ears nose and throat doctors and to eye doctors (to look for the tumor that I thought was there...it wasn't..thank God) and Neurologists.  I had CAT scans on my head and even begged my doctor to give me an MRI!  (Took a while to find a doctor who would approve this!) IT WAS ALL DO TO DEPRESSION AND ANXIETY.....I truly believed that it was physical and it wasn't.

Now for my advice, go to the eye doctor, check your vision, ask for a CAT scan if you are truly worried and then when all is fine, get to a psychiatrist or psychologist and get evaluated!

Sounds like you are one of us!!!  Best to you and keep us posted!
Hello, thanks for sharing your experiences. I had done the CT/CAT scan prior to my previous posting. The specialist confirmed it was normal and had also checked my eyes. Yesterday i went to an optometrist to check my vision. My vision power has not increased though. Don't know i should beg my doctor for an MRI just to confirm things out. Like suzi, i too am afraid of any tumours that could be there. But then again, it might be the anxiety playing it's trick on me because although i don't really feel stressed and anxious, but my head is constantly thinking of worst case scenarios that could happen to me ie having tumours etc. Another possible cause of all these symptoms (according to the optometrist) is that my eyes are tired possibly due to the lack of sleep and nutrion. Using the computer for a long period of time daily does not help the condition either. So i am going to try to cut down on my computer usage, start using my specs often, and just try to relax and not worry too much. Hope it will all turn out alright.

Thanks for sharing again.
If you have been diagnosed with anxiety (or self diagnosed), all these physical symptoms you are having are possible. Anxiety, I now know can cause very real physical symptoms. I have had the heavy headed/dizzy feeling for 4 months. When my anxiety subsides, guess what ? ... so does the heavy headedness. It takes awhile (and many doctors visits) before one finally faces the reality that it could be anxiety and not a major illness causing these scary, frustrating symptoms. You want to "blame" something ! I am still in the process of getting better. I hope you find the answers you are looking for.
Trust me...the CAT scan is all you need....I was just being a total nut case so they did it to pacify me.  If they thought they needed to do more testing, it would have been done.  CAT scans cover like 95-99% of the brain..MRI's are used to get a closer look at a potential problem which you OBVIOUSLY don't have.  IF WE CAN JUST MAKE OUR BRAINS BELIEVE A LOGICAL THOUGHT!!!  Best to you.
lol... yeah, if only we could make our brains to believe in the logical thought! Unfortunately, my brain still have not grasped this thought.  Best of luck to you too and thanks once again ;)
I am in recovery from anxiety and have had the same similar feelings not too long ago.  It has been part of my anxiety.  I knew quite a bit of information about anxiety but never knew I could experience this heavy head syndrome, as I call it.  I had no headaches, it just felt like pressure in my head or my head was swelling and about to explode and focusing was terrible when in fact my head was still the same size.  I felt like my eyes were wondering when they obviously weren't.  What is happening is tension is building up from stress around that area.  Just like someone lifting and straining their lower back muscles, your tension and strain is surrounding your head, neck and shoulders.  Take a look in the mirror or catch yourself when your going about your daily life, is your shoulder tensed up high and not relaxed, or are you clenching your teeth unknowingly.  I did both!  

I stretched my jaw, pulled back my shoulders for a stretch a few times a day and scheduled myself for a 30 minute back, shoulder, neck and head massage followed by a relaxing bath and long sleep.  I woke up refreshed and alleviated my heavy head syndrome.  Periodically I catch myself tensing up and when I do, I force myself to go a little limp. For example, I catch myself sitting upright as I type this blog, now I'm correcting myself to lay back as I type.

Hope that helps =)