Aa
A
A
A
Close
Anxiety Community
23k Members

I hope I don't sound completely ridiculous

So I am a 29 year old girl.  I have everything going for me, a great job, I am a good person, I am attractive.  Here is my problem though, it is almost like I can't date.  I have such severe anxiety that when I go on dates I either throw up before hand or throw up after.  I don't know if it is because I am afraid to be intimate with someone.  I want to settle down though, I don't want to be this way. I almost avoid dating because I get so nervous.  If I take a clonzapam before hand, I get really sleepy, so I can't do that. I am on medication but what can I do? I am afraid of being rejected, I repeat the conversation over and over in my head. I am afraid I am not being smart enough or pretty enough. I hate this.  I want to be a normal girl my age and have a fun loving boyfriend but something is keeping me from going there. The very strange and weird part about this is if I do not like a guy that much, nothing happens to me. I am totally fine. It is when I like a guy that I get so ridiculously anxious.  Does anyone have suggestions? I grew up with two brothers.  I work with all guys and they do not make me nervous.  I just do not understand. I am social with my friends, so I don't think it could be social anxiety but maybe it is.  I am at a lost...
1 Responses
1291268 tn?1274814522
I think you would do well going to a therapist that specializes in social anxiety disorder.
Yours seems to be pretty specific in that it happens in an isolated circumstance. It's kinda like a fear of flying.  People can lead otherwise very normal lives yet they crumble when it comes to getting on an airplane.  This can be helped by medication but the most effective treatment is therapy and 'Desensitization'.   A group treatment setting may also be quite helpful.  Ask your doctor for a referral to a therapist skilled in this area.  See link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systematic_desensitization
Have an Answer?
Top Anxiety Answerers
Arlington, VA
370181 tn?1428180348
Arlington, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out what can trigger a panic attack – and what to do if you have one.
A guide to 10 common phobias.
Take control of tension today.
These simple pick-me-ups squash stress.
Don’t let the winter chill send your smile into deep hibernation. Try these 10 mood-boosting tips to get your happy back
Want to wake up rested and refreshed?