Anxiety Community
23k Members

Increases anxiety before menstruation

I notice that my anxiety seems to come more before and during my period.  I increase my lexapro from 10 to 15 mg a few days prior to my period but it doesn't seem to help.  I still become nauseous with stomach upset that lasts almost all day.  My MD doesn't want to check my hormone levels since I am only 37.  I have been having increased anxiety since my son was born 2 1/2 years ago.  Does anyone think this could be hormonal related and if so should I see if going on the pill would help?
I was recenty put on the pill because of cysts....I hate it!  This is the second pill I am on and I have become more anxious and more bloated and more moody ever since.  My doctor did say that it should help stablize my moods and help with anxiety.  It hasn't yet....but ya' never know.

Also, my sister in law is 37 and is going through per-menopause.  She has been very anxious also lately and also very weepy.  Ask your doctor again to check your hormone levels...That could be the cause.
I have the same issues and have wondered about hormones causing my troubles.  Are there actually blood tests that check your hormone levels?  What are they, specifically?  Anyone know?

Thanks!
someone told me to go on birth cotrol pills to balance out my hormones. im scared too though theres lots of risks. i dont get period every month and this is probably why i have anxiety i never know when its coming? it really sucks im so confused....
I do know there are blood test to check hormone levels.  My OB doesn't want to check mine though because she said they could be good one week then off the next week.  I really do think I have a hormonal imbalance and I will bring it up again when I she her.  I really don't want to go back on the pill but I'm willing to try anything if it will help.
Ladies, I have yet to get a period on the pill!  That is why the doctor keeps changing the pill....I also get terrible sensitivity in my breasts and they feel like footballs...I know this is off topic, but have any of you experience this????
Ok I just proved a point to myself.  3/4 of an hour ago I was sitting outside in tears thinking I was going to die and had a very bad panic attack.  Just then I started my period so yes menustration brings on anxiety and panic.
Same problem here (anxiety around "that time of the month").  Yes, I think it's definitely hormonal.  I take Zolft and supplement with Buspar when I start feeling the anxiety coming on.  Works for me!  Now, Buspar is supposed to take the normal two weeks to build up in your system before it starts working but I feel the effects immediately.  The only downside with Buspar is that it makes me feel tired, but I'd rather feel fatiqued than anxious any day.
Hi, one thing i can say, my doc started me on Yasmin (28 cycle) it has been heaven! My mood swings are gone, i have become a more calm and human person! before i would lash out on anyone or about anything possible! Just recently i had my first panick attack, and anxiety has not left me since! i am suspecting the BC has something to do with it. because i had my panick attack and my period came 48hrs later. Then i finished my period and started the pill yesterday and my anxiety is thru the roof!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.... i wish there was a good answer for all these feelings that we are feeling :(
I have bad anxiety around my periods too!  I didn't make the connection between my anxiety and my period until just recently.  Back in December I started having bad anxiety attacks and was extremly fearful I also became very depressed...I went on zoloft, 50mg and it took a long 3 weeks to feel better, but only one week later, I relapsed...and go figure, around my period.  I didn't think it was connected then.  My dose was increased to 100mg at that time, which was back in Feb. and I have had many good days since then, but everytime my period comes I start having the bad anxiety.  Mine starts just before my period, lasts through my period, and I even have it a few days after my period.  I was wondering if I could actually have a hormonal imbalance.  Can any of you describe your anxiety?  Do any of you become ocd when you start feeling anxious?  Do any of you start thinking very negativly...like "I'm not going to make it", "I'm losing my mind"...etc.?  I'm 32...can you have a hormonal imbalance, but not be perimenopause?  I hope so...I sure do hate this and feeling in the dark about my condition!  Thanks for any responses!  
Hi there, I also have been experiencing and finally making the connection between my anxiety and period. I have the exact same symptoms, I become very ocd to a fault where I start this blaming inner dialogue that spirals. I am pretty opposed to any medicaiton and am looking into it via the natural, homopathic route. If you are intersted I will keep you updated. Good luck!
Hi guys,  
I have the same symptoms as well!  I get very bad anxiety and find myself questioning my judgment, talking negatively to myself, and crying for no reason.  It seems like I always find something to "blame" my feelings on, but I realize now that it is just natural to want to find a reason for feeling that way.  I can sort of keep in my mind that it will pass and not to try to solve any problems when I am in this state, but it is VERY hard to remember that when you are in the midst of an anxiety attack!  I too think it is hormone related, and am not sure what to do.
I too, have anxiety attacks. I have noticed they come a week before my period and sometimes during my period as well. It is so hard to explain this craziness to people that don't have them. My symptoms are rapid heart rate, tingling arms and hands, feeling of doom, feel like I'm going to go crazy or die. I know my blood pressure gets pretty high when I am having one. I don't want to depend on meds either. I am going to blame this on my hormones, but does anyone else have an explanation??? It is miserable to live like this.