Aa
A
A
A
Close
Anxiety Community
23k Members

Lexapro Withdrawal Headache

I have been on Lex @ 15mg for 2 years. Doc now wants me off. Very sensitive to meds so doc started me on 2.5mg taper every 5-7 days. All was well until 7 days after cut to 7.5mg and then wham! - woke up with dizziness, nausea and headache.  Headache has now lasted 14 days. Doc reinstated me to 10mg with no effect on headaches then 5 days later increased to 12.5mg with no improvement.  In fact, I feel worse due to anxiety.  Anybody had a similar experience getting off Lex? Thanks, Bill
1 Responses
370181 tn?1428180348
I have never been on Lexapro, so personally can't speak to your experience. There are many here who have, or are on Lex, and hopefully they will respond to your question.

BUT.......what the hell is your doctor playing at when you've had a headache for 14 days? In my very humble and non-medical opinion, he should have reinstated you to your origianl dose of 15mg to see if that would eradicate your headache. If THAT didn't work, he should have immediately referred you to a neuro for a work up! I don't mean to freak you out, and for all I know, a two week long headache is normal for Lex w/d, but I for one would sure want to know that was all it was.
Perhaps your taper is too fast for you........along with your statment of being "very sensitive" to meds, I'm thinking it probably is since you feel worse "due to anxiety."
While most tapers will induce some rebound symptoms, there are ways to make the transition much easier on you.
I would strongly urge you to see your doctor as soon as you can.
Please let us know how you're doing, OK?
Peace
Greenlydia
Have an Answer?
Top Anxiety Answerers
Arlington, VA
370181 tn?1428180348
Arlington, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out what can trigger a panic attack – and what to do if you have one.
A guide to 10 common phobias.
Take control of tension today.
These simple pick-me-ups squash stress.
Don’t let the winter chill send your smile into deep hibernation. Try these 10 mood-boosting tips to get your happy back
Want to wake up rested and refreshed?