Anxiety Community
23k Members

Lexapro

Hi everyone, ive been experiencing anxiety and depression for about 9 weeks. Ive started on Lexapro and have been taking it for the past 8 days. Im wondering how long it takes to kick in.

Has anyone had good results with Lexapro for anxiety? Also should i be taking something else with it? I take Valium when needed but i dont know if that is a good option.

Ive been living with my perents since i started on the Lexapro. Ive been off work for the last week and am finding hard even to get out the house. Any help would be appriciated.

I have previously taken Lexapro. It usually take 3-6 weeks to really see results, although it varys from person to person.  I took nothing else with Lexapro.  At first Lexapro can make your anxiety and depression worse.  Thats what it did for me.  But after a week or 2 the side effects should lessen.
Good luck with Lexapro! I hope it works out for you.
Hi. It normally takes 4-6 weeks for Lexapro to reach full therapeutic level in your system, which is when you will see the best results.  I was on Lexapro for a few years with excellent results, but we all respond differently to therse types of medications.  Unfortunately, the only way to know if it is going to work for us, is to try it.  Normally, after about 6 weeks your doctor will want to see you to determine how well it's working and if you need an increase in your dosage.  If you don't feel like the Valium isn't working, let your doctor know this.  You always want to work closely with your doctor regarding medications, they are used to getting a lot of questions so never hesitate to call him with any concerns. Why are you having trouble leaving the house?  Is it anxiety or lack of motivation?  If it's anxiety then I would definitely speak to your doctor about the Valium, he may want to increase your dosage or switch you to another medication.  If it's just lack of motivation, then the Lexapro will help with this within a few weeks. Know you're not alone, we all understand and care. I wish you all the best, and take care!
Thanks for the posts, the main reason i find it hard to leave the house is mainly beacause of the anxiety rather than the depression. On the the other hand i forced myself to go out yesterday and didn't do too bad.

So today I decided to go to work to see how that goes. I got half way and felt i needed to turn around and go home but i continued on. I had to have a Valium to calm me down but im doing quite well so far.

Maybe the Lexapro is starting to work. My anxiety seems to be at its highest in the morning as soon as i wake up. I take the Lexapro at 9 am everyday, maybe i should take it at night. Any ideas?
What dose are you taking? I take Lexapro also and it did take a couple of weeks to start working. With some of us it takes longer. I take mine at night because it makes me tired. Does it do that to you?   Remar
i take celexa after switching from lexapro cause of insurance. very similar drugs. i also take klonopin .05 mg in the morning when my anxiety is most hightened. i just take my celexa together with the klonopin as if it were one drug and it helps me. my personal experience (although im pretty new to this) is that lex and celexa didnt really help much with anxiety! but when i take the klonopin with it it is a great combo!
hope this helps
Anthony
Hey all, Im coming up to the 4th week of being on Lexapro 10mg. I haven't really noticed a difference in my anxiety or depression. Should i be giving it longer or start to think about changing meds. Also Ive noticed alot of people on here take Klonopin for anxiety rather than Valium. I don't think we get Klonopin here in Australia. Ive been taking Valium 5mg in the morning to help but im worried that it will be hard to come off or it will stop working. I really need some help with this as im losing hope with these meds.

Thanks Blake