Anxiety Community
23k Members

Loss of Appetite

I have been going through a lot the last 6 weeks (death of close family member, relationship problems, work issues).  I started Celexa 3 weeks ago.  I didn't have much of an appetite before the Celexa, but now I have zero appetite.  Is this a normal side effect of Celexa or just the stress?  

When I take a Klonopin after work, in a few hours I can eat a small but decent meal.  
They cause different symptoms in different people.  Just want to say, if you know what you're suffering from, if it's just these issues you mentioned and not some long-term anxiety or depression that has severely disrupted your life for a long time, then getting on the drug carousel won't give you what you're seeking.  Therapy is your better place to start.  Medication can be tough to start, tough to stay on, and tough to quit, and you still won't have dealt with the underlying issues.  Most of us here have a chronic illness that seems to have no cause and so we end up on meds, but again, when you know certain issues have kicked up a storm inside your head, best to deal with them and not medicate them.
Hi Paxiled,
I appreciate your response and concern.  I have a family history of this (when we go through a lot we slide into a stress induced depression).  I understand that some people are not sure of their causes of anxiety, but if someone goes through traumatic events it and goes through anxiety, it doesn't mean it isn't as painful or scary.  I know a lot of people that have went through a major move, job loss, or divorce and it has caused them a lot of anxiety symptoms that they can not handle.  In my case I have taken Celexa 2 times in the past and after a month or so it helps.  I wish I didn't need medication, but without I don't how long I would have lost my appetite and not slept well.  
Since you seem able to easily go off and on these -- for many people it's really hard to do -- and you have experience, you're the much better judge.  I hope you work this out, but with loss, only time takes care of it.  I hope for you the time is short.