Anxiety Community
23k Members

Medication for Anxiety/Depression

I am posting in the hope that you may be able to enlighten me as to what medication is normally recommened for anyone suffering from Social Anxiety/Depression/Panic Attacks.

I have been on Diazepam for about 10 years and recently was prescribed Effexor.

I stopped taking the Diazempam and started on the course of Effexor (37.5 mg daily) and I've felt my life been turned upside down ever since. I've reacted very adversely to it and I've even gotten to the stage, which probably seems illogical, that I've contemplated suicide.

Please help. I really don't know where to turn. I am even afraid to return to my GP as he said if the Effexor didn't allievate the symptons there was no alternative but to go back taking Diazempam again. Surely, they're other meds that may help. I've attended a therapist in the past, but it was fruitless as the fears I had never dissipated despite everything I did to change my lifestyle of bordeline reclusiveness.

I have taken Diazepam bioth today and yesterday but the effects the Effexor brough on are still with me.

CALL YOUR DOCTOR!! Do it NOW!!  There are other meds that you can take besides Effexor. I tried it and it didn't work for me either. I am still in the process of trying to find something that works for me. Until then i use xanax and its a lifesaver for me. If you need something then you take it. Even if you don't want to.  If that's a problem then ask yourself... whats worse, feeling like **** or taking the med. That should be the answer. You definatley need to get off the Effexor, for me i just quit. Don't know if that was the thing to do but it sure beat the side effects.
stef
As deaglan said, if you have contemplated suicide, stop taking it and call your doctor, this is a side effect and obiously a very bad one.

That being said, you mentioned that you are having "adverse" reactions to it. Actually, those reactions may seem adverse, but they are actually normal for the medicine. I was on it for a while, but soon realized I didn;t like it and got off of it. Eventually those effects will go away (after about 2-4 weeks). My doctor put it best - when taking effexor (plus many other anti-anxiety medicines like that) it gets worse before it gets better - and is the same when you come off of it.

You will also find that on here, there are people who are on the medicine side of things and those of us who are on the "as natural as possible" side of things. I am on the latter. I have and occaisionally take Xanax, but am dealing with my anxiety head on using methods that were developed by Dr. Claire Weekes. I tell everyone about her that I can as the book has really changed my outlook and hope on things. After you call your doctor, go to the library (or bookstore) and get the book called Help and Hope for your nerves. You will not be dissappointed. Good luck.

Mike
Hi again. I just wanted to say thank you for what your support. I was such a mess yesterday and tossed and turned all night. I got through it though. At least I am here to witness the day and it's so beautiful outside. The sun's shining, the air is warm and even though I am tense, I am not as bad. Perhaps the Effexor is begining to leave my system, whatever the reason I am just so glad that I am alive. It was that serious. I only recently joined and since then I've read quite a few posts and I know I am not alone. I wish i could throw my arms around everyone here collectively and say, hey, everything's gonna be alright. It's difficult though to be in a position to offer support when my mindsets not exactly in the 'right' place, but I want you to know I really appreciate the fact that there are people here, some suffering exactly like me, others even worse and still no o9ne is giving up, that's the human spirit, it is what makes us endeavour til we overcome the tests that life's thrown at us.

I am so grateful to you swan6893 and shelzmike. To just hear from you has been a lift. I am conscious that you too have problems to deal with and I admire you for the rationality you imparted. Thank you. shelzmike I read your story and it was so poignant and I wish you the very best today as you embark on quite a challenge.

I just want to finish by saying that for anyone that suffers with anxiety it's a helpful resource to actually hear from those that know what it's like firsthand. I have the utmost of respect for you all and even though when I see my GP which hopefully I will soon, I find it hard to express myself when i'm speaking to him, it's not that I can't explain but when I try all that seems to leave my mouth is gibberish. It's awkward and I often leave feeling embarrased but I think he understands.

I wish you all, wherever you are, whatever you're doing a peaceful and stress free weekend.

Regards to everyone here,

Declan
Did you go off the diazepam all at once?  Were you on a high dose?  It could be the combination of going off the diazepam suddenly along with the Effexor.  My dr. says it is hard to get on and off of Effexor.  You also need to taper off of benzodiazepines like the valium.  Paxil is good for depression and I believe it is also good for social anxiety.
Everybody here has their own experiences with all the meds we talk about. Everyone of us is different in how we react to them. Some will sing their praises and some will damn them to hell. I, for one, think Effexor should be withdrawn from the market as an evil, dangerous drug. I was given Effexor for a mild depression. I was stuggling with side effects the entire time, but being a real "drug trooper," I stuck with it, hoping that these horrible feelings would soon subside. After I had been on it for about two months, not really feeling any relief, I experienced one of the most terrifying moments of my life. I was driving home from work and literally, out of the blue, this thought came into my head that if I put the pedal to the metal and hit that up-coming bridge overpass, all my troubles would be over. I simply can not tell you how frightened this thought made me! I have NEVER, EVER  in my life thought of suicide! I began to cry and shake so badly, I had to pull over and take a Xanax. When I had pulled myself together enough to drive again, I immediately drove to my doctors office and quite rudely demanded to talk to him NOW! I told him what I had just gone thru and he began my taper that day. I became so angry at my doctor and the drug companies and pharacutical reps, I thought my head would implode! I wrote letters which contained more four letter words than the dictionary! I CALLED the FDA and naturally got a recording, but I left a rather scathing message with some robot there as well. (Gee, I wonder why they never called me back!) lol
As Summer asked........did you stop the diazepam abruptly? God, I hope not! After 10 years on that, you should have tapered off that very, very slowly!  If you did, your doctor should be fired and it's no wonder you felt your life turn upside down! And he/she is also incorrect in telling you that if the Effexor doesn't work, then you will have no alternative but to go back on the Valium! I've just changed my mind..........I think you should fire your doctor NOW! There are so many options out there! It's not really our place to recommend medications for you. This should ONLY be done by a doctor or psychiatrist who specializes in anxiety/panic disorders! Like I said, all we can do is tell you our own individual experiences with different meds, and you'll find as many opinions as there are folks on this forum. You say you also saw a therapist, but got no help on that front. Fire that one as well! Off with their heads! Sometimes you must kiss frogs before you find the prince(cess) that fits you and your needs. Don't give up, they ARE out there!
Did you stop the Effexor abruptly? Really not good.
In  my humble opinion, I would continue to take your diazepam and begin your search for new doctors. Ones who know something about anxiety and depression. Until then, keep posting to us. We may not have the answer, but we're family here and we protect our own. You WILL find the right path.
Peace
Greenlydia
Afternoon everyone. Special hi to Summer123 and greenlydia. I was taking approximately between 3/4 5mg of Diazempam daily, spread over the course of the day, sometimes I'd take 10mg in the morning and depending on how I felt, the rest either in the afternoon or if I was going out, beforehand.

I switched straight from Diazempam on a friday to Effexor the next day. The dosage of Diazempam wasn't high at all, then again I rarely returned to my GP only telephoning to renew my prescription to the administration area. So, I guess my GP wasn't aware that my anxiety had spiralled and i basically took it upon myself to increase the dosage as 5mg is by no means a strong dosage and like anything when you take it for so long, the system becomes somewhat immune to it. Initally, it was a godsend, when i first stared taking it I felt I could face anything as my anxiety levels were not as severe or as life altering as they are presently. Still, when i was prescribed the Effexor there were no measures mentioned to me by my GP as to how the Effexor and Diazepam would mix. All I remember is I stopped taking Diazempam one day and the next I'm taking Effexor. Don't get me wrong. I looked for a change in medication myself. I felt the Diazepam was no longer as effective and I was pleased to be going onto something which to all intents and purposes seemed more suitable to treat what I'm not suffering from. It was a short lived experiment I guess, I am pleased and feel much better now I've stopped taking Effexor but still the Diazepam is not really helping with the Social Anxiety. I cant seem to calm down and I still freak out whenever I have to go out. It's something I'd give anything to avoid but life revolves around going to the markets for food and such, that's about it but for the time I'm there, I am in hell.

I did stop the Effexor suddenly, it really had me in a state, I wont repeat how they made me feel, only to say, I went to a very dark place. I am back taking the Diazepam greenlydia and I now have to go down the hard road and muster up the courage to revist my GP. Yes, it's not something I do nonchantly, even to phone, takes me about 20 attempts. I will though and I'll let you know how I fared and thank you for what you said about us being a family here and protecting our own. That meant so much to me.

I too am coming off of Effexor.  It has been terrible.  I also think they should consider taking it off the market.  Nana
I was given Lexapro for my anxiety/depression and it saved me. really.  I would just sit in the corner of my room crying because I had a fear of germs and if I left my one safe spot I would jsut freak out that the germs were going to kill me (not instantly of course, you know, infect me or something) The only thing I noticed was I was really really tired for the first couple of weeks I was on it, but it went away.  I stopped taking it because I became pregnant, and I felt fine, however I am starting to get anxiety attacks again (it's been about 8 months).  I've heard you don't have to stop taking lexapro when you are preg, but I just didn't want any drugs going to my baby, but I will start taking it again as soon as I am done breast feeding.  My sister had the same thing (not germs but crazy anxiety) she was on a lot of different things but the lexapro is also really helping her.
Can anyone compile a list of the most commonly used medication for General Anxiety Disorder. I am going back to see my GP tomorrow and I would be grateful if I have some details as to what is available for sufferers of this condition. I really appreciate this and the only reason I ask is that I ant to be in a position whereby at least I have other alternatives open to me apart from Diazepam. Thanks again and I really hope everything works out for everyone here. You're in my thoughts.

God Bless,

Declan
To be honest there are common medicines, but none of then always "commonly" work. (Does that make sense?) The most common that I have heard are : Effexor, xanax, valium, klonopin, atavan, etc.; paxil, and tofranil. In my opinion, there are three schools of thought in regards to medicine for anxiety/panic - those that are for it, those that are against it, and those that feel like they HAVE to have it. Many people who suffer from these illnesses feel they have to have it. And I will agree, at first, during the very scary and very trying times, they do (I did). However, if you ever want to actually be cured (which is possible!), you need to approach medicine as a temporary and short term effect. The quicker someone seeks mental health professionals, the quicker they can get this thing gone. And trust me, for those of you that will read this and say, "well, that may work for him, but he doesn't know how AWFUL I feel and how I couldn't possible ever be cured - he must not have had it as bad as I did". Well, I did have it VERY bad. locking myself in my room, staying in bed, stagnating. But the one thing that was keeping me there was the medicine. The only thing I take now is Xanax but only when my anxiety gets really bad, or is simply inconvenient. A bottle of 20 .5 mg lasts me 3 to 4 months.

Taking medicine indefinately for anxiety is akin to breaking a leg and simply taking a "pill" to fix it without the traditional healing methods of setting, casting, and rehabilitation. Your pill may make you forget that you have a broken leg but if you do not take these other methods, you will still have the broken leg. And one day you will try to run or do something with it and you will realize, oh ****, I still have a broken leg - not only will it not go away, chances are the damage will be much worse and much harder to cope with after so much time has passed. It sounds funny that I am comparing a physical injury to mental illness, but it really is not that different at all. They both effect us mentally and physically, and they BOTH can be HEALED!

Mike