A
A
A
Close
Anxiety Community
23k Members

Medication suggestion

Hello to any idea lenders,

I detoxed from abusing pain killers a little over a month ago. Tramadol was the main player, and Soma came in too as it definitely cooled off the nerves. Now, I can't have any of this stuff and I'm happy, but I'm more anxious than ever before. I've been on Klonopin, but the detox unit said 'no more.' I take Wellbutrin and Lamictal for depression and mood stabilization and Clonidine for high blood pressure.

Does anyone have any suggestions for something to relieve some of this anxiety? I absolutely have to call my psych md tomorrow and tell him about this since he's been off for winter break.

Are there any OTC's that would help out in the event my md tells me to wait until my appt. on Jan. 14?

One last thing. Does anyone here with a lot of anxiety find that your memory is affected and that you make all kinds of stupid mistakes all day long?  I feel like the village idiot as I say words that aren't the right ones, drop car keys in the car and shut the door, etc., etc.. I've never been like this in my life, even when I was using pain pills to be able to deal with life's stresses.

I would appreciate greatly any ideas, thanks so much for your time.
1 Responses
That could be the anxiety, or it could be the meds.  Wellbutrin is a good antidepressant, but it can cause anxiety because it's stimulating, so that could also be a possible factor.  I assume you're in therapy because of the addictions; your therapist should be able to show you breathing exercises and you can also try meditation to get some relief for that anxiety.  There are also natural remedies you might try, either herbal or amino acids or homeopathic, that work on GABA sort of how benzos do.  To learn more about that there's a book called Natural Highs by Hyla Cass, a psychiatrist at UCLA.  You have to be careful, though, with contraindications with what you're taking.  And others might know more about this, but klonopin doesn't really act very quickly, it stays in the body a long time, so it isn't as likely to be abused.  You might discuss this further with your psychiatrist.
Have an Answer?
Top Anxiety Answerers
Arlington, VA
370181 tn?1428180348
Arlington, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out what can trigger a panic attack – and what to do if you have one.
A guide to 10 common phobias.
Take control of tension today.
These simple pick-me-ups squash stress.
Don’t let the winter chill send your smile into deep hibernation. Try these 10 mood-boosting tips to get your happy back
Want to wake up rested and refreshed?