Anxiety Community
23k Members

Mis-diagnois of PPD/anxiety

I was prescribed zoloft for slight PPD/anxiety.  I am now worry that I don't have that and that my doc mis-dx me.  I think it might just be me.  I am kind of confused.
what kind of symptoms are you having?
Background: I have lived in the US for 12 years, came here when I was a high school senior. Been with my husband for 10 years and just had a baby 7 months ago. My parents just moved in with us about 4.5 months ago to take care of my baby and they don
well you definitely sound to me like you have anxiety & depression, and obviously a huge stress-load.  i can only imagine how hard it is to be taking care of everyone like you are.  why do you feel you were misdiagnosed, and what else do you think it could be?
I guess I am in denial or I just feel like I should ba able to handle it all by myself.  I am still learning to let go.  I just got paranoid about taking meds.
so do i.  that's why i don't.  but you know what i've learned?  most people don't think of their emotions & thoughts as very powerful things since you can't see them.  but i think your mind is a lot more powerful than the physical life you live.  i didn't realize it until it started working against me, lol, but it's true.  your mind is extremely powerful, and you can't always decide the way it's gonna work.  so it's not always fun inside your head, and sometimes the only way to control it is with some help from say, meds or a psychiatrist.  now like i said, i'm not treating my anxiety & depression, but that's because i have drug-related anxiety (which means i think i will die every time i take a new medication, & sometimes meds that i know my body can handle even), and because i can't swallow pills, and also because i've been self-treating my anxiety with marijuana anyway (which works wonders for me but sadly i'm giving it up in 5 days!  ahh!  and no, i'm not advising you to use it as treatment, it's just a reason i personally haven't gotten on meds).  so the meds won't start working for you right away, but when they do, i think you'll probably be very pleased with your decision to move forward with them.  and remember, some people (me) aren't lucky enough to be able to take meds, and it just makes what you're going through a lot harder.
You sound like it is anxiety...whether a disorder or normal anxiety, either way the medication should help to balance you out.

When you say that you think it may be all in your head...well...join all of us!  Yes!  It is in our heads that is causing all of our symptoms!!!  We all need to retrain our minds to think differently...very hard to do....if it were easy, we wouldn't need this forum!!!

Feel better and give the meds a chance...don't worry yourself sick over it, take it one day at a time.
You could always go to a psychiatrist - they are trained in this area (more so than a regular doctor) and will be able to provide you with a definitive diagnosis.  I do, however, think your doctor "hit the nail on the head" with the anxiety/depression diagnosis.  Zoloft typically takes 4-6 weeks to take full effect so try not to get discouraged if  you dont see an immediate improvement in you symptoms....... it does not mean you were misdiagnosed or the medication is not working.
Thanks!  I apprecaite your comments.  I have been taking 25 mg of the Zoloft and I am to start the 50mg today, do you know if there's a significant different?  So far, I have no side effect, except for the tireness.  Just wanted to get some ideas.
Never took Zoloft...but what I have found is that when people go up to full dose they begin to feel better...it is when you are just beginning and on half dose that it bothers you...this is just from a few experiences from myself and friends.
Thanks for the insight.  I just took my first 50mg.  I hope I don't fall asleep at work.  
The various dosages in which Zoloft is prescribed are: 25mg, 50mg, 100mg, and 200mg.  Usually for panic/depression the dosage "starts" at 50mg after a 1 week 25mg "induction" period.  If, after 4-6 weeks no significant improvement is seen, your doctor will either increase the dosage further or look at an alternative medication - the benefit of the drug can often been seen before this window, however.

In my case I took 25mg of Zoloft for two weeks.  The day after I took it I was VERY hyperactive, had a loss of appetite and had problems sleeping.  These side effects were gone within a week.  After two weeks
I started on the 50 mg dosage and had the same side effects for 1 week.  After that, no noticable side effects.  I also wanted to mention that I have LOST weight on Zoloft despoite the fact I have not modified my dietary or exercise habits.
I didn't have too many side effects after I took my first 50 mg.  I fell asleep at around 9:30 and woke uo several times briefly.  I do find that I've loss my appertite some.  I will return to the doc the end of the month and hopefully, I am nyself by then.
How long have you been on Zoloft?  Are you happy with it?