Anxiety Community

Need ALOT of Help today

OK, so the other day my obsession of ALS was over after the neurology appt. But for some reason I had it stuck in my head about how people with bad kidneys had problem with the MRI dye. Then I became obsessed with the smell in my nose and once I saw an article about Ammonia smell and kidneys I started obsessing about kidney problems. The FACT is I had blood work 3 years ago and my kidneys were great. I have no kidney problems in my family history. No diabetes or family problems with it. My blood pressure has been low for the last 7 years because of the medicine I'm taking for the fluke heart virus I had..including the ace inhibitors used to help people with diabetes. I have only had high bp since this stress started a few months back and it was off and on. So here I am today wondering if my ankles are swollen and convinced they look that way...even though they have looked that way for years after wearing dress socks and shoes. I read symptoms and am convinced my dry mouth..though I'm taking NuLev, which causes it for my stomach problem(caused by all the stress)...all of a sudden is a iron taste. All the things stress did to me I have turned into...maybe it was my kidneys all along. This is ridiculous. Help me realize I'm freaking
yes you are why do you do that to your self, stop thinking you have something wrong with you , your fine , if you would had kidney problems the dr would know that. stop reading your only making your life worse. have fun live life your ok. my bp gets high because am anxiety to so calm down be happy your in good health and enjoy life its to short to be sick when your not. one day you will have problems so dont rush it . enjoy now . try and relax its ok .
Thanks I know. My heart docs did full blood tests today just as the yearly checkup and because I might, for real, have high cholesterol. I mean I told myself after the brain tumor..to MS stuff I wouldn't do it again. My family and wife were glad for it to be done and here I am jumping right back on another group of random symptoms. Even my neuro said you could find any disease with random symptoms like fatigue, can't eat, etc, etc.
I'm getting better but I just have to stay away from the boards with symptoms and all the other crud.
Do you know whether you are suffering from?  Is it pure anxiety or hypochondria?

I suffer from hypochondria and OCD.  What you are describing sounds A LOT like what I do.  Last December, I read a bunch of articles on the Net regarding exposure to second hand smoke during childhood and lung cancer.  It worried me ill because I was exposed to second hand smoke as a child.  I was also awaiting a follow-up appointment for a breast examination.  I worried so much that I developed shortness of breath.  That freaked me out even more cuz shortness of breath is a symptom of many respiratory diseases.  The shortness of breath was caused by all the anxiety and is what led me to this forum.  

If your doctors gave you a clean bill of health, you really need to try to focus on the positive and accept that you cannot control what will happen to you.  I know that is easier said than done.  I struggle everyday. I have an appointment tomorrow for a well woman examination - OH JOY, a pap smear, what every woman looks forward to!  What helps me is humor.  That's why I posted that silly post about Paris Hilton.  You can also read spiritual and self help books.  But I'm not gonna lie to you, it's hard.  I have been struggling w/o meds for years now.  Try reading about hypochondria on Wikipedia.com. If anything maybe it will help you understand what you might be going through.  

Life is short, LIVE, LOVE, LAUGH.
I also can't see with the family history and the test 3 years ago why I would expect this sudden onslaught of kidneys or other problems. It is irrational but it sticks with me. I am better since the neurologist but overall just wanting to be myself again.
I really don't know. I never really had anythign like this until a few eeeks ago. i mean I've never thought twice about any of this because I'm a healthy 37 year old who isn't overweight and who doesn't smoke and eats pretty good. I think the heart virus that almost killed me in 2000  took away some invinceability because I was in incredible shape when it happened. A fluke. Even though I have fun, etc I think I just always waited for the other show to drop despite miraculously recovering completely and only being on a couple of BP meds. I mean I could feel myself giving myself the MS symptoms. Everything was a tingle and then the anxiety tingles would happen and a hand felt numb. I never thought twice about kidneys until that MRI and now all of a sudden a simple thing like my feet being sweaty and a little off from my shoes and socks turns to bad kidneys. I looked up too much online and you realize that maybe my dry mouth is because of that or the not eating because my nerves were shot over the MS thing was really kidneys or something. All in all I'm just trying to see myself as complete since I have a child coming in August. I pray alot and feel like I'm failing since I'm supposed to trust completely. I really do trust and felt it after my heart thing. I'm just not sure why symptoms I never thought of before have cropped up now.
Yeah, go read about Hypochondria on Wikipedia.com.  Many people suffer from hypochondria after a health scare such as yourself.  Hypochondria then leads to anxiety.  Then there are those lucky ones such as myself who were born this way.  I remember worrying about getting cancer in elementary school!  I think that if you cannot snap out of this in a few weeks, go see a therapist.  Medication should be a last resort.  Don't surf the net regarding diseases.  This will make you worse.  This is the mistake I made.  Read the following from Wikipedia regarding researching on the net.

Factors contributing to Hypochondria:

Cyberchondria is a colloquial term for hypochondria in individuals who have researched medical conditions on the internet. The media and the internet often contribute to hypochondria, as articles, TV shows and advertisements regarding serious illnesses such as cancer and multiple sclerosis (some of the common diseases hypochondriacs think they have) often portray these diseases as being random, obscure and somewhat inevitable. Inaccurate portrayal of risk and the identification of non-specific symptoms as signs of serious illness contribute to exacerbating the hypochondriac’s fear that they actually have that illness.

That was just a tid bit.  

Hope my advice helped.

Good luck to you!

Thanks. I think I had a tiny bit of OCD in me in the old days and it reared its head here. If I look at it logically I feel fine but when you start daydreaming about bad calls and things it is scary. Hopefully it will pass soon just like thinking my heart would go out of rhythm and full blown panic attacks disappeared after a bit. At least I could take my pulse during those times.

That article helps alot. Like I said, my neurologist told me that besides webmd and some other places many sites are just out there with general info and it really doesn't tell you how much certain factors, age, etc go into things. She said many symptoms of many things happen to people in their 60s and as they get older but the sites tell you so generally that, as it says in your article, you assume it happens everywhere to everyone.
I don't think webmd is any better.  They can be pretty general too.  Last Oct., I suffered from difficulty swallowing, when I typed in difficulty swallowing at Webmd, I got throat cancer and esophageal cancer.  When I spoke to a gastroenterologist (SP?), he told me that esophageal cancer presents when you can't swallow SOLID FOOD because you have an obstruction in your esophagus.  I was still able to swallow solid food.  Difficulty swallowing is a very common symptom of anxiety.  Anxiety did not even pop up on Webmd.  Anyway, it's best to leave the diagnosing to the drs.  Just make sure you have a good one!
you are going to be fine....I thought your mind was at eased.........
Raine, that is what I'm talking about. I'm freaking because after a hot, humid Texas day of wearing dress shoes and all my feet swell a little. I'm sure real edema is full on swelling of foot and ankle yet all you read about if you look up swelling is that you have a health problem even though most people's feet can grow a size during the day.

bip, I was:). Then I got this in my head. I don't know why. I kind of blame my wife...lol.. because I was all good after the last appointment and then she asked if I was going to start obsessing about the kidney MRI thing and it stuck.
I see we are in the same ballpark as far as having problems. We will both be ok!!We need everyone to pray some more.
you are right we will pray more......I think your wife was just kidding with you.....When is your neww baby coming?
She was kidding. She comes end of August. I hate that I look up symptoms. When I was convinced I had MS my hands and feet and everywhere tingles and my hands felt burned one night. Now I think idneys and diabetes because I saw that. I hope my blood test results are good. This is crazy
What did I tell you? don't look up things believe me I want to llok up frequent urination but Im holding back.......So are you happy your baby is coming........
No.you are not a idoit.........sometimes we can't help it.You just worry like me.
Could not be more excited!!!She moves alot right now and I am incredibly pumped up.

I know, I'm an idiot. I didn't even think about some of these things before. I do it to try and mark myself off the list and instead I find symptoms that fit...idiot.
No, I am because I know I'm not supposed to look at the things but I do. I also run with things that make no sense in my life.
We all know not to do something and we still do it cause we think it will ease our minds and it doesn't causes mor stress on us.hey hang in you are not alone........Did you see a councler?
Topher,

If the swelling concerns you that much, go and see a dr just to get the reassurance that you need.  It's wonderful that there are many supportive people here for you.    I am a spiritual person also and pray a lot.  It brings me great comfort to be in church and to be able to look at all the images of Jesus.  However, if these thoughts continue, you really need to seek a professional to help you through this.

BTW:  I have two kids of my own.  I just had my second last May.  It is a very exciting time! Congratulations!
That's the thing. It isn't even really swelling. It isn't like my foot is round or swollen out of size. It just looks a little less than it does in the morning. In fact I can see bone and feel it and all. It probably doesn't even qualify..in fact I think it happens when I wear these shoes every day but I've turned it  into something bad. They already did blood test and the other day I was at the dermatologist to have my yearly checkup and was good with them. She froze stuff off the bottom of one so it could cause some pain too.

Thanks!!I'm extremely excited and just have to get my head on straight before she comes. I want to put my energy towards her.