Anxiety Community
23k Members

Need advice about Prozac VS Lexapro

I've had anxiety for 20 years now.  I've been given a few antidepressants to try and have always had a bad reaction to them so I've never stuck to them.  The last I tried was Lexapro almost ten years ago.  

I've just been prescribed Prozac.  My pharmacist said that it's close to Lexapro.  I'm terrified to take this pill.  I don't read side effects beforehand because I have panic.  I'm at a point where I'm so depressed and anxious I can barely leave my house.  When I tried Lexapro it was the worst thing I'd ever felt.  It knocked me out then it woke me up in so much pain I could hardly bear it.  I was vomiting and my bowels hurt so bad.  My whole body hurt and I couldn't stop shaking.  I was so tired and could not sleep.  It was an endless panic attack.  My doctor said to stick with it!!!!  No way I'd have gone crazy!!!

Is there anyone who can tell me about Prozac that have taken Lexapro?  My pharmacist said there is a good chance I'll have a reaction since I've reacted to everything else.  I don't know what to do.  Please help!

Thank you in advance!
I am sorry to hear the bad luck you have had... I just got off lexapro after being on it for 13 weeks, it made me feel blah!! I have bad anxiety and panic attacks. I hate to be the bearer of bad  but before lexapro I had been on prozac and had the worst panic attack and anxiety of my life!! I was only on it 2 weeks when I ended up in the ER, my Doc said never again and then put me on the lexapro.. I think Lexapro is a good drug it just was not for me!! Prozac NO WAY!! But as everyone will tell,  are different, I have a friend who is on prozac and does great!! As everyone tells me, do not read into it and try it, have you ever tried Zoloft? I was on that for 12 years and loved it, it pooped out on me last year and I am just starting it again!! I have also heard Effexor XR is good for anxiety and panic!!