Anxiety Community
23k Members

Nursegirl, Update - Prescribed 50mg Seroquel XR

Nurslegirl,

I saw my psychiatrist today. He told me that he does not think that the Remeron is causing a withdrawal. He said that I have anxiety and will probably have to be on something for a long time. He asked why I was afraid of the medicine, I told him b/c im scared of addiction and withdrawal, just like the scary thing i had to go through with benzos. He told me he would prescribe someone with my type of anxiety a benzo b/c i would take them too much and become dependent.

He said that he wants to give me Seroquel XR 50mg, and wants me to stay on it for 6 months to 1 year while continuing to see him.

I called my brother who has tried many drugs, and he said "50MG!!?? I think that's going to be WAY too high of a dose for you. I can take just a small piece and sleep hard. You will feel like a ZOMBIE on 50mg."

My brother suggested that I take a quarter of a pill tonight and see how I do on that 1st.

What do you think? This is what get's me worried and confused... I told my brother, "Don't you think I should listen to my Psychiatrist and NOT YOU?"

He agreed, but warned me that 50mg just sounded like too much.

Your thoughts?
I'm glad that your p-doc reassured you that the Remeron is not likely causing your symptoms (of course you already know I agree).  The Seroquel may do the trick, or course, you have to give it a shot and see how you do, it's impossible to predict ahead of time if it will work, if you will feel drowsy, etc.  Try very hard not to over think it and not to get multiple opinions, as that will just make you "what if" more.  Take it as prescribed and go from there.  If indeed you end up having an issue, like the dose may be a bit high, then address that with your doc.

Fingers crossed that you get some relief with the Seroquel.  It's commonly used as a sleep aid, I've had thousands of patients on it, and my experience with it is that it's tolerated well and is effective for the vast majority of people.

Hang in there...and don't let your mind take over!  LOL  I know easier said than done, but like I've said before, that's your biggest downfall.  You become obsessive in your thinking about the topic du jour.  ;0)

I'm anxious to hear how you do!  Keep us updated!